PDA

View Full Version : TOMORROW!!

choprzrul
04-21-2011, 4:51 PM
Just got a call from Lisa @ Apex Tactical Specialties (http://www.apextactical.com/) & my 1911 is ready to be picked up! Very cool. Pick it up & head over to SLOSA to try out my new & improved shootin' iron!

Range report to follow....

bjl333
04-21-2011, 4:53 PM
Congrats!! Always nice to have a new addition to the family!! Pics n reports...

choprzrul
04-21-2011, 5:01 PM
It is an Auto Ordnance 1911 that was worn out when I bought it over 20 years ago. It had gotten to the point of utter unreliability, so I had no choice but to get some work done. After asking around here, I found out about Randy Lee. Called their shop and he agreed to work on it for me. Great people that I can't speak highly enough of. Sounds like they strike terror in the Smith & Wesson Factory Shop guys when they show up at meets. It sounds like I am very fortunate to have Randy take on my project. I think that they have become an R&D shop and now are offering their own line of parts. Great people IMHO.

sneather
04-21-2011, 5:02 PM
Nice. Enjoy. Where is SLOSA?

When I was at Poly we always used to pull off the 101 at the crest of the hill (forgetting the name of the peak) on the way to Atascadero. It was just an open area at the end of a long dirt road. Awesome place to shoot, but I'm sure it's been shut down by the "they" years ago...

hkdad
04-21-2011, 5:06 PM
awesome. pics and range report needed.

choprzrul
04-21-2011, 5:27 PM
Nice. Enjoy. Where is SLOSA?

When I was at Poly we always used to pull off the 101 at the crest of the hill (forgetting the name of the peak) on the way to Atascadero. It was just an open area at the end of a long dirt road. Awesome place to shoot, but I'm sure it's been shut down by the "they" years ago...

SLOSA (http://www.slosa.org/) is on Hwy 1 between San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay. Best shooting facility in CA according to some reports.

sneather
04-21-2011, 5:53 PM
Ah! I was going to guess that. I used to drive by that place on the way to the rock to get some chowder now and then. But, and I'm seriously dating myself, we always hit that place up on the hill I spoke about because it was free, and totally uncontrolled. Granted, if I knew then what I know now, we would have carted our bullet-riddled crap back home with us...

zod
04-21-2011, 6:44 PM
Congrats. Range report and pics when you get it back!

choprzrul
04-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Forgot to take pics of my target. At 15 yards from a rest, the first group of 8 created 1 ragged hole. Standing unrested, the group @ 15 yards opened up to 2-2 1/2". Fed and functioned flawlessly with the 2 Chip McCormick power mags, but the RIA factory mag that I borrowed from my son somehow kept it from going fully into battery twice. A little tap forward and it fired just fine.

It fed my reloads just fine. Both 200gr semi wadcutter flat nose and 230gr round nose Berry's fed without issue. Twice I had brass hit me on the top of my head, but the rest of them ended up behind and to the right.

New USGI type barrel, new thumb safety, new beavertail grip safety, set extractor tension, fit safeties, and generally tune it up. Parts & labor came in just north of $200. I could not be more pleased with the accuracy and function of my 1911 now. I will take pictures of it once it returns home. My son got out of class @ 11:15 at Cuesta college and met me at the range. I handed it off to him so that he could compare it against his RIA 1911.

Now, go do some business with Apex Tactical Specialties. They are great folks and support our sport, so support them.

Army
04-22-2011, 5:47 PM
Was that you with the stainless gun, on lane #2. Older gent?

choprzrul
04-23-2011, 6:28 AM
Older Gent?????

Oh, now that hurts :-)

I was on the pistol side, on the second lane from the RSO shack, wearing a black Hawaian shirt, shooting a ss 1911. Where you the fella with the sweeeett Colt?

Army
04-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Yup, glad to meet ya!

choprzrul
04-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Yup, glad to meet ya!

Good to meet you even though I didn't know that you were Army on CGN at the time! Very cool that you and your friend had the kids out shooting.

Now go do an Appleseed! You will wonder why you waited so long. Great stuff.