PDA

View Full Version : Idea for new Addax AR Barrels

Addax
04-21-2011, 1:30 PM
Hey Guys,

I am asking for some input regarding AR barrels we are thinking of manufacturing in house.

We are looking to manufacture our own Mil-Spec 5.56 Nato M4 Carbine and Mid-Length 4150 Chrome Moly, MPI barrels.

These barrels would be Machined Rifled (not buttoned), and Nitride coated inside and out with M4 extensions.

These would be for use on our ZK Piston Uppers, our DI 5.56 Uppers, and for individual sale.

We are looking to make our barrels since it is getting hard to obtain the Daniel Defense barrels we have been using up to this point.

The Nitride finish is more resilient to wear and corrosion vs. chrome lining

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Chris

KLW
04-21-2011, 5:43 PM
You, I'm sure, gotta know that the more you have under your roof the better. Sounds like the right combo for use and durability.

G-forceJunkie
04-21-2011, 6:10 PM
If your going with an M4 profile, I say ditch the m203 machined area between the front site and muzzle, I hate the look of it. Guess I'm not "Tacticool"

Addax
04-21-2011, 6:22 PM
If your going with an M4 profile, I say ditch the m203 machined area between the front site and muzzle, I hate the look of it. Guess I'm not "Tacticool"

Good feedback.

We can easily make a carbine barrel but without the M203 cutout up front.

Addax
04-21-2011, 6:22 PM
You, I'm sure, gotta know that the more you have under your roof the better. Sounds like the right combo for use and durability.

Yes, I agree.

Bravoo
04-21-2011, 7:44 PM
Chris….that would be an excellent idea, matter of fact I was wondering what took you so long to bring that up because everything you have thought out as far as design has been outstanding and reliable, go for it…and oh, how about a 14.5” barrel to, does this mean the ZK will be coming out sooner? Hope so.

BHPFan
04-21-2011, 7:49 PM
Chris...Good idea. Less dependability on a third party vendor, who can get backed up with orders. Besides, you create and have more control on your own manufactured products.

Outta Control
04-21-2011, 7:53 PM
I typically see Nitrated product on motorcycle suspension so I am not familiar with the temp rating on them.

Vinz
04-21-2011, 9:01 PM
Good ideas above....Chris, are you guys doing this in house?

Vince

Doc 9POINT5
04-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Are you talking similar to the current patrol series with the polygonal rifling and less resistance/wear internally? Also, if you're replacing a barrel with a high selling point of the cold hammer forged durability through high cyclic rates and temps will this be comparable? How would this compare with the patrol series barrel?

If it's a step up from the patrol barrel, and/or if you're looking to streamline and offer this as the standard barrel for all models, with benefits similar to the DD, and it's cost effective, it sounds like an awesome idea. You can even keep the DD option for those 'hard core' enthusiasts as long as they understand the back order for their 'superior product'.

P.s. can't wait to see a stripped lower.

Addax
04-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Good ideas above....Chris, are you guys doing this in house?

Vince

Thanks Vince.

Yes, we plan on manufacturing these barrels.

Addax
04-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Are you talking similar to the current patrol series with the polygonal rifling and less resistance/wear internally? Also, if you're replacing a barrel with a high selling point of the cold hammer forged durability through high cyclic rates and temps will this be comparable? How would this compare with the patrol series barrel?

If it's a step up from the patrol barrel, and/or if you're looking to streamline and offer this as the standard barrel for all models, with benefits similar to the DD, and it's cost effective, it sounds like an awesome idea. You can even keep the DD option for those 'hard core' enthusiasts as long as they understand the back order for their 'superior product'.

P.s. can't wait to see a stripped lower.

We should have our new Addax Billet lowers ready in approx. 4-5 weeks.:D

The barrel idea we are thinking of is to replace the Daniel Defense Barrels, and possibly offer these barrels across the whole line of Addax Piston and DI uppers and soon to be released AR rifles.

Thanks,
Chris

Striker
04-23-2011, 9:29 AM
Would these barrels be cold hammer forged like the DD ones?

G-forceJunkie
04-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Read the first post.Would these barrels be cold hammer forged like the DD ones?

Doc 9POINT5
04-23-2011, 6:38 PM
We should have our new Addax Billet lowers ready in approx. 4-5 weeks.:D

The barrel idea we are thinking of is to replace the Daniel Defense Barrels, and possibly offer these barrels across the whole line of Addax Piston and DI uppers and soon to be released AR rifles.

Thanks,
Chris

Sounds like a good idea from here, keep everything in house, no more timelines missed due to outside sources. It's a big addition but now you're looking at complete uppers in house, just choose your rail and furniture!

Addax
04-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Sounds like a good idea from here, keep everything in house, no more timelines missed due to outside sources. It's a big addition but now you're looking at complete uppers in house, just choose your rail and furniture!

That is what we are aiming for.

The War Wagon
04-25-2011, 6:25 AM
Well NOW I know where you hang out MOST of the time! :p

So you're going with billet lowers, rather than forged, I take it?

After going through 3 other lowers, here's the lower I FINALLY settled on with YOUR upper, btw. BCM, with a Giselle SSA trigger, from Grant @ G&R Tactical. :cool:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/BCM2.jpg

bombadillo
04-25-2011, 6:30 AM
I would really dig a version of it as stated without the silly m203 cutout but maybe doing a straight fluting down like a saber barrel has. This is a pretty heavy contour so maybe a variation of something like this:

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/3880adace103cb0530e1b08c75763e6d.jpg

vintagearms
04-25-2011, 6:41 AM
Hopefully we will se a lightweight 16" barrel as well.

Addax
04-25-2011, 8:15 AM
We are currently looking at making the following type of barrels:

16" Mid-Length, Govt. Profile (under handguard), 1:8 twist, 4150 CMV, M4 Extension, Nitride coating inside the bore and outside

16" M4 Carbine Barrel 1:8 twist, 4150 CMV, M4 Extension, Nitride coating inside the bore and outside

Fluted Barrels will be stainless that we currently have BHW and White Oak make for us to our spec's.

Addax
04-25-2011, 8:23 AM
Well NOW I know where you hang out MOST of the time! :p

So you're going with billet lowers, rather than forged, I take it?

After going through 3 other lowers, here's the lower I FINALLY settled on with YOUR upper, btw. BCM, with a Giselle SSA trigger, from Grant @ G&R Tactical. :cool:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/BCM2.jpg

Good to see you here and thanks for sharing.:D

We decided to run billet lowers vs. forged. There are so many forged lowers on the market now, and we like to be a little different so we decided to offer a high quality billet lower at a reasonable cost. $175.00 MSRP (stripped billet lower).

Addax
04-26-2011, 12:24 PM
16" 5.56 Nato Mid-Length Govt. Profile (under handguard)
4150 CMV Military Spec
1:8 Twist
MPI
Cut Rifling
M4 Extension
Nitride Coated inside and out

$239.00

16" M4 Carbine Barrel Govt. Profile with M203 Cut
4150 CMV Military Spec
1:8 Twist
MPI
Cut Rifling
M4 Extension
Nitride Coated inside and out

$239.00

California Sales Tax and Shipping are extra.

EDT 5/6/11

The first batch of barrels will be done in approx. 8-10 weeks, and these barrels will be primarily used to equip our customers uppers that are currently on backorder

We should have Individual barrels ready for sale shortly after.

Thanks,
Chris