PDA

View Full Version : Damaged AK Barrel

AK1961
11-18-2006, 8:20 PM
Need help with my Yugo Barrel. I pressed the barrel pin using a shop press. The pin came out easy and it looked fine. Then, I pressed the barrel out. I was shocked to see the barrel badly galled. I files the barrel to make it smooth. I don't understand what went wrong. The trunion looks good with no interior damage. The barrel was fine prior to removal. I want to know if this barrel is salvegabe or do i need to replace the barrel. Is there others with the same problem?

Thanks in advance,,,

wayoutwest
11-18-2006, 8:30 PM
Sorry to see it, I dont know what to say about it.

It might be still useable as that portion of the barrel should be in the inside of the trunion (exposed) (not inside the trunion)

It might not be safe if there are other hairline cracks/fractures or if a lot if the material is missing maybe the pressure from the round might damage it more.

PanzerAce
11-18-2006, 9:21 PM
I think I remember seeing new Yugo barrels at copesdist.com

EDIT: Yup, they are in the white, m70 barrels for 80 bucks.

cornholio1
11-18-2006, 9:24 PM
Looks pretty bad. I would call the seller to see what they can offer you. Probabaly not much they can do if they sold it as-is.

NeoWeird
11-18-2006, 9:42 PM
Honestly, if it were me (being a cheapskate and a moron) I would think about it, and if the barrel retaining pin goes deeper than those grooves you should be ok to shoot it like that. I would probably put it back up in there, and test it out. If it didn't damage accuracy/function and it still worked, I would just leave it alone.

Of course I am a moron and a cheapskate, like I said, so you might not want to follow my advice.

kb1
11-18-2006, 10:47 PM
I've built 3 Yugo's and ALL of the barrels have galled. This hasn't happened with the Romanian or Polish that I built, so I'm thinking this is just a Yugo thing. I haven't seen galling this bad and it may not be a bad idea to change the barrel. I've done the barrel that Cope's offers and it really wasn't all that difficult. Good luck.

Jarhead4
11-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Here is a link to Used Yugo M70AB2 Barrels for $29.97. It is better to replace the barrels and be safe, than have the thing blow up in your face.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=920

adamsreeftank
11-19-2006, 4:21 AM
What are your eyes worth to you?

AK1961
11-19-2006, 6:33 AM
Thanks for all the advise,,,I appriciate it very much,,, You're right! I'm better off going with a new barrel,,,,