PDA

View Full Version : Magazine well lock

M4rk
04-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Jus saw this last nite, it's an ar15 magazine well safety lock. It says... It should fit 223/556... But I was wondering if this will fit colt m4 .22lr. I'd rather use this than that metal cable lookin lock.

tempdrummer
04-21-2011, 1:04 PM
might help if you posted a link or a pic or something.

Odds are it won't but It's hard to know what you're talking about.

Mongoblack23
04-21-2011, 1:09 PM
also why are you still using the cable lock? no safe and small children? you dont need it for transport....... so........

M4rk
04-21-2011, 6:04 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=391271

M4rk
04-21-2011, 6:07 PM
also why are you still using the cable lock? no safe and small children? you dont need it for transport....... so........

thats the lock that it came with the rifle... no kids here... and wut do u mean by i dont need for transport?? like if i want to take the rifle to the range?? ive asked the local gun shops, they said the cable lock is fine.

tempdrummer
04-21-2011, 7:20 PM

I don't have any first hand experience but I would HIGHLY suspect that it would not fit since its made to fit up into the 5.56. For example you cant fit a 5.56 magazine into your colt .22 so chances are this wouldn't fit either.

thats the lock that it came with the rifle... no kids here... and wut do u mean by i dont need for transport?? like if i want to take the rifle to the range?? ive asked the local gun shops, they said the cable lock is fine.

Long guns don't need to be locked when being transported. Thats a pistol law. You can just put your rifle in the case and throw it in the car. Hell you don't even need a case but its probably a good idea. The only requirement is that its unloaded. No locks required.

Mongoblack23
04-21-2011, 8:52 PM
Long guns don't need to be locked when being transported. Thats a pistol law. You can just put your rifle in the case and throw it in the car. Hell you don't even need a case but its probably a good idea. The only requirement is that its unloaded. No locks required.

^^^this is what i mean^^^

if theres no one under 18 in the house, the gun doesnt have to be locked at all. it can be loaded, chambered and cocked chill'n on your coffee table.

M4rk
04-22-2011, 12:03 AM
^^^this is what i mean^^^

if theres no one under 18 in the house, the gun doesnt have to be locked at all. it can be loaded, chambered and cocked chill'n on your coffee table.

even in if im in california??

G1500
04-22-2011, 12:18 AM
You also know that a cable lock does not constitute a locked container, right?

In my opinion it is a gimmick for gun shops to make a few more bucks off a sale/transfer.

Cokebottle
04-22-2011, 12:25 AM
That definitely won't fit with the .22lr BCG installed.
It MIGHT fit with the BCG removed from the upper.
Gun shops, and in general, cops, are the worst places to ask about gun laws.

Turner's will tell you that it's illegal to transport a loaded magazine, and they will tell you that the ammo must be in it's own locked container separate from the gun.
Both wrong. You can have loaded magazines in the same locked container as your handgun as long as it's not in the magwell.
even in if im in california??
Even if you're in San Francisco.
You also know that a cable lock does not constitute a locked container, right?
+10,000

Same for the magwell lock. It may prevent unauthorized use, but it satisfies no legal requirement.
The cable lock served it's legal purpose the moment you walked out of the gun shop with it.

M4rk
04-22-2011, 12:34 AM
That definitely won't fit with the .22lr BCG installed.
It MIGHT fit with the BCG removed from the upper.

Gun shops, and in general, cops, are the worst places to ask about gun laws.

Turner's will tell you that it's illegal to transport a loaded magazine, and they will tell you that the ammo must be in it's own locked container separate from the gun.
Both wrong. You can have loaded magazines in the same locked container as your handgun as long as it's not in the magwell.

Even if you're in San Francisco.

+10,000

Same for the magwell lock. It may prevent unauthorized use, but it satisfies no legal requirement.
The cable lock served it's legal purpose the moment you walked out of the gun shop with it.

Lol thanx y'all. This is all new to me. But ya, I hated putting on that orange cable lock.

G1500
04-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Best thing you can do with a cable lock is give it away.

I have far better uses for a cable lock than to lock my guns with it.

Cokebottle
04-22-2011, 12:52 AM
Best thing you can do with a cable lock is give it away.

I have far better uses for a cable lock than to lock my guns with it.
They make awesome motorcycle helmet locks.

All of my friends have DOJ approved locks for their helmets :D

M4rk
04-22-2011, 1:08 AM
One more question.. I have a softcase that has mag pockets on the side.. Can I put a loaded mag in those pockets?? Or it has to be empty? Or it has to be inside the case with the rifle?

G1500
04-22-2011, 1:11 AM
They make awesome motorcycle helmet locks.

All of my friends have DOJ approved locks for their helmets :D

Seriously, it is way more effective as a regular lock, although not as sturdy and secure as one, but does serve other purposes like the one you mentioned.

I wish the locks from the MFG were the ratcheting type though, it would be nice as locks for storage cabinets and such.

:D

G1500
04-22-2011, 1:13 AM
One more question.. I have a softcase that has mag pockets on the side.. Can I put a loaded mag in those pockets?? Or it has to be empty? Or it has to be inside the case with the rifle?

You can put the loaded mags in the pockets, you can put them in your pocket, you can put them in your shoe and even in your hat. As long as you don't stick a loaded magazine in the magazine well, you are good to go.

If someone tells you otherwise, ask for proof, and don't be hesitant to make a wager. ;)

M4rk
04-22-2011, 1:15 AM
Kool! Thanx!

G1500
04-22-2011, 1:20 AM
You should try to familiarize yourself with the laws, or at bare minimum read them once so you know that what others are saying is true. This way you can refute others when they say something is illegal.

Cokebottle
04-22-2011, 1:40 AM
No laws covering ammo other than a few "sensitive" places such as schools grounds... and they can't be in "a position to be fired"

They can be in the mag pockets, on your seat, duct-taped to your forehead, or in the bag with the gun.

Cokebottle
04-22-2011, 1:41 AM
PC 12025, 12026, 12031, 626.9

Great restroom reading.

Mongoblack23
04-22-2011, 5:55 AM
everything youve read here is spot on. the CPRA has a great little booklet regarding california laws.... if i could only find it.....

M4rk
04-23-2011, 12:46 PM
everything youve read here is spot on. the CPRA has a great little booklet regarding california laws.... if i could only find it.....

ya, i would like to see that little booklet

Mongoblack23
04-23-2011, 5:10 PM
ya, i would like to see that little booklet

sorry, its the CRPA, not CPRA...

you got two choices.. option one and the highest recommended, join the CRPA and help with the fight against the BS Kalifornia laws and get the booklet free with membership, or just click the link provided and order a copy...
http://www.crpa.org/_e/dept/13/Gun_Law_Book.htm