PDA

View Full Version : Inheriting pistol from out of state

Scott Connors
04-21-2011, 11:29 AM
I looked this up using search, but the circumstances weren't identical so here goes:

My father died in Florida a few months ago. He left me a .38 snubby (I think it's a S&W Detective Special). Since it's an intrafamilial transfer and an inheritance, I don't need to go through FFL and DROS. My stepmother can ship the revolver to me via FEdEx and I can register it with DOJ for $19 using "inheritance" as my source. Correct? I just passed DROS for another S&W (M&P 45), so would the one-handgun-per-30 day period law come into effect?

Thanks.

taperxz
04-21-2011, 11:36 AM
I looked this up using search, but the circumstances weren't identical so here goes:

My father died in Florida a few months ago. He left me a .38 snubby (I think it's a S&W Detective Special). Since it's an intrafamilial transfer and an inheritance, I don't need to go through FFL and DROS. My stepmother can ship the revolver to me via FEdEx and I can register it with DOJ for $19 using "inheritance" as my source. Correct? I just passed DROS for another S&W (M&P 45), so would the one-handgun-per-30 day period law come into effect?

Thanks.

I think you are good to go since you now own it through inheritance. 1 in 30 only counts for direct FFL purchase. If i am not mistaken.

Librarian
04-21-2011, 11:42 AM

Thanks.

Yes to the shipping, no 30-day limit.

See the wiki article - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Inheriting_firearms%2C_both_within_California_and_ Interstate

oni.dori
04-21-2011, 5:04 PM
I would also like to point out that you may fill out multiple forms, if the amount of handguns you are inheriting are greater than the spaces alotted on the form, and still only have to pay one $19 processing fee.

Scott Connors
04-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Thank you for your help.