PDA

View Full Version : Broadwell magazine

Jeepers
04-21-2011, 12:07 PM
as long as each column only holds 10 rds (have to hand turn to each column), would this be legal even with it's total capacity of 160 rds ?

http://www.modelgatlinggunplans.com/pix/Broadway%20Feed.jpg

FXR
04-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Are the columns capable of functioning individually? (ETA: as in could one column body be removed and used alone?) If so it's just a fancy 16-mag clamp IMO. If it requires the whole assembly to function, not sure. Whatever happened with that Kel Tec shotgun?

Caladain
04-21-2011, 12:59 PM
I don't think it applies at all..it's a hand-cranked Gatling gun ammunition feeding device, right? Doesn't a hand-cranked Gatling gun count as X number (where X is the number of barrels) single shot/bolt action rifles or somesuch?

CHS
04-21-2011, 2:34 PM
I don't think it applies at all..it's a hand-cranked Gatling gun ammunition feeding device, right? Doesn't a hand-cranked Gatling gun count as X number (where X is the number of barrels) single shot/bolt action rifles or somesuch?

The large-capacity magazine restrictions apply to MAGAZINES. They do not address in ANY WAY WHATSOEVER the firearms that the magazines function in.

A large-capacity magazine is a large-capacity magazine. Period.

The question here is whether or not the magazine pictured is indeed a large-capacity magazine or not.

To the OP, a strict reading of the law would lead me to think that CA might actually consider this a large-capacity magazine since it's A.) an ammunition feeding device and B.) it's capable of accepting more than 10rd's or ammunition.

The fact that it can only feed 10 at a time without use intervention may be a mitigating factor, but I honestly couldn't tell you for sure. Since it can't actually feed more than 10rd's at a time, I would personally feel that it's ok to import/manufacture into CA. But one of the legal-eagles should weigh in on this one.

Librarian
04-21-2011, 3:15 PM
That would be seriously cool. I'd pay to turn the crank on a Gatling with that magazine on it!

But, I have to go along with the 'illegal'. In this case it seems to be just one 'ammunition feeding device'.

I'd like to think that ~1872 tech would be exempt for 'historical interest' or something, but it seems beautiful machinery becomes unacceptable when it relates to guns.

Jeepers
04-21-2011, 3:21 PM
thinking i might start on my build anyways, by the time i get to the feeding side of it i am sure things will be different anyways.... figuring in atleast 3 years on this one ....lol
vUOWOR1yMnc

12voltguy
04-21-2011, 4:33 PM
thinking i might start on my build anyways, by the time i get to the feeding side of it i am sure things will be different anyways.... figuring in atleast 3 years on this one ....lol
vUOWOR1yMnc

are Gatling guns legal?...in ca.

how about the kits that turn 2 ruger 10-22s into a Gatling gun legal? or multi burst trigger devise?

12voltguy
04-21-2011, 4:34 PM
vUOWOR1yMnc

I can shot a bolt action faster then that old man,lol

Quiet
04-21-2011, 5:31 PM

how about the kits that turn 2 ruger 10-22s into a Gatling gun legal? or multi burst trigger devise?

Real multi-barrel hand-cranked Gatling guns are CA legal.

The Ruger 10/22 "gatling gun" kit is not CA legal, due to the "multiburst trigger activator".

CHS
04-21-2011, 5:51 PM

Yup.

Nope. And you got the reason why correct :)

Jeepers
04-21-2011, 7:40 PM
I can shot a bolt action faster then that old man,lol

I want to build one for the history behind it ..

and lets see if you can keep up that fast bolt gun for all 160 rounds ;)....lmao

Bhobbs
04-21-2011, 7:56 PM
vUOWOR1yMnc

It looks like that one fires 2 rounds per turn of the handle. I wonder if it is legal to make it fire 4 or 8. It would still be hand cranked.

CHS
04-21-2011, 7:59 PM
It looks like that one fires 2 rounds per turn of the handle. I wonder if it is legal to make it fire 4 or 8. It would still be hand cranked.

It doesn't matter how many rounds per turn. Hand-cranked is hand-cranked when it comes to a gatling. You just can't add a drill motor.

choprzrul
04-21-2011, 9:07 PM
It doesn't matter how many rounds per turn. Hand-cranked is hand-cranked when it comes to a gatling. You just can't add a drill motor.

Can you take the electric motor off and use a hand crank?

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/5/56/Minigun_2.JPG/400px-Minigun_2.JPG

CHS
04-21-2011, 10:23 PM

I honestly don't know.

But I've seen a few M134 parts kits available with torch-cut receivers as well as 80% receivers... :)

Jeepers
04-21-2011, 11:19 PM
I honestly don't know.

But I've seen a few M134 parts kits available with torch-cut receivers as well as 80% receivers... :)
have seen those also but 15+ grand for demiled parts are out of my price range ....lol

CHS
04-21-2011, 11:29 PM
have seen those also but 15+ grand for demiled parts are out of my price range ....lol

Well for only $150K you can have a fully transferable one :)

Jeepers
04-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Well for only $150K you can have a fully transferable one :)hehehe if i could afford that i would just go the SOT route and then be able to do postie's ...a man can dream ..lol

and that's anoughter reason i am planning this build i cant afford 10-15 grand for a Gatling, but spread the cost/labor over a few years and i might still have the wife and kids ....lol

NovaTodd
04-22-2011, 10:03 PM

Group buy? :43:

choprzrul
04-23-2011, 6:32 AM
@ 150 Gs, I'm really surprises that we don't see high end bank robbers using one in a helicoptor as air support. Both air to ground and air to air.