View Full Version : Need info RE: Court ordered firearms surrender

04-21-2011, 10:09 AM
I don't want to go into too many details "on the air" here.

My friend (seriously - not me) is going through an ugly battle with his son and ex. He has been accused of pointing a gun at the kid. Total unfounded bull****.

He is in the hospital with pneumonia. His wife went to a hearing for him today, and was sent home with paperwork to surrender his firearms within 48 hours.

So -

Can one of his friends take his firearms (all long guns) and store them for safekeeping, rather than him turning them in and going through hell to get them back when this is sorted out?

I will be calling the CGF as well.

Thanks for your responses.

04-21-2011, 10:15 AM
No. Take it to the cops or sell to a dealer is what the form says. There are jurisdictions, like mine, that allow the gun owner to store the guns with a dealer. They have to be Drosed back to the owner at the end of the restraining order.

04-21-2011, 10:19 AM
I haven't seen the form yet. Can he sell to an individual?

04-21-2011, 10:23 AM
If it is a domestic violence restraining order, no. It should be clear on the requirements regardless.

04-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Tell him (or his wife) to contact CGF:

hotline@calgunsfoundation.org (hotline@calgunsfoundation.org)

And/or have him contact Jason Davis (http://www.calgunlawyers.com/Davis_%26_Associates/Home.html) (if he is in So. CA).

04-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Contacted CGF, and Gene has already responded.

God Bless America, Calguns, and the CGF. :)

04-21-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm going to assume that CGF helped you out, this thread has made me decide to donate, they really do try and help all gun owners and its amazing

04-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Gene was indeed helpful, and I have sent another donation. :D