PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 gas rings

amzych
11-18-2006, 7:56 PM
One of the gas rings on my AR-15 broke as a result of something my brother did (or didn't do, I don't know). Does that part tend to fail as a result of normal use? (Really, we've put less than 1000 rounds through the rifle). And, would there be any adverse consequences to firing the rifle with only two rings intact?

cornholio1
11-18-2006, 7:58 PM
One of the gas rings on my AR-15 broke as a result of something my brother did (or didn't do, I don't know). Does that part tend to fail as a result of normal use? (Really, we've put less than 1000 rounds through the rifle). And, would there be any adverse consequences to firing the rifle with only two rings intact?

pics?

amzych
11-18-2006, 8:01 PM
Unfortunately I don't have any. I left my rifle with brother and father so that they could go out and have some fun with it, and I got the phone call about it yesterday. I've got the rifle with me right now, but they don't know what they did with the broken ring. The other two appear to be fine, though.

Blue
11-18-2006, 8:02 PM
If you're in San Jose, or feel like driving, I've got an extra here for you.

Paul
11-18-2006, 8:05 PM
I've got about a dozen AR's and have never had a gas ring broken. When I ran qualification shoots for the Navy we'd go through tens of thousands of rounds in a day and prior to returning the weapons to the armory I'd have to visually inspect every bolt, carrier, retaining pin, and fire control parts. Never saw a broken ring either.

I highly recommend if your rifle is a weapon to have a complete spare parts kit - including a complete bolt with rings, firing pin. and firing pin retaining pin.

amzych
11-18-2006, 8:39 PM
Well that's not good to hear. Anyway, thanks for the offer Blue, but unfortunately I'm in the central valley right now, so it'd be a pretty long drive. I guess I'll just have to order a few spare parts and wait for them to show up.

Does anybody know what might happen if I tried to fire it with only two rings? (Just curious)

PIRATE14
11-18-2006, 8:48 PM
Well that's not good to hear. Anyway, thanks for the offer Blue, but unfortunately I'm in the central valley right now, so it'd be a pretty long drive. I guess I'll just have to order a few spare parts and wait for them to show up.

Does anybody know what might happen if I tried to fire it with only two rings? (Just curious)

Prob like trying to run your car motor with one of rings missing......

Might run but why risk it?????

Blue
11-18-2006, 8:51 PM
Prob like trying to run your car motor with one of rings missing......

Might run but why risk it?????

+1

Just do it right and git r dunnnn. You've got enough money invested in the rifle, spend the couple bucks for the ring and enjoy the rifle.

rkt88edmo
11-18-2006, 8:55 PM
I seriously doubt that running it with two rings is going to hurt your rifle, but you might have some failures to fully cycle.

So did he pry off a ring to see how they worked or what? Hard to imagine what would break a ring.

PIRATE14
11-18-2006, 9:01 PM
[quote=rkt88edmo]I seriously doubt that running it with two rings is going to hurt your rifle, but you might have some failures to fully cycle.

quote]

Maybe but if the rings bind or break cause they are loose, could end with some damage.

I've seen a few broken rings in the last 25 years but it hasn't been more than handful of times.

Satex
11-18-2006, 9:29 PM
How in the world did he break a gas ring?

amzych
11-18-2006, 10:57 PM
How in the world did he break a gas ring?
That was my question. They still haven't given me an answer though. Sigh, and I was going to take it out tomorrow.

DANGERCLOSE
11-19-2006, 6:12 PM
cmmg and cproducts have some decent mil-spec parts kits that i have seen on their websites. give them a try.