PDA

View Full Version : PPTs and gun locks

Can't buy anything here
04-21-2011, 9:50 AM
If you do a PPT, can you bring a lock with the gun or will they make you buy one?

ns3v3n
04-21-2011, 9:52 AM
You'll need a receipt for that lock that is purchased recently for that gun, I forgot if it's within 10 days or 30 days of the PPT. Someone will chime in on this. But you cant just bring in a lock that you have. They require you to buy a new one for every handgun you PPT or buy. Unless you have a safe at home.

Coded-Dude
04-21-2011, 9:58 AM
hey do they know if you have a safe at home?

ke6guj
04-21-2011, 10:00 AM

doesn't matter if you already have a safe, per federal law.

G1500
04-21-2011, 10:04 AM
You'll need a receipt for that lock that is purchased recently for that gun, I forgot if it's within 10 days or 30 days of the PPT. Someone will chime in on this. But you cant just bring in a lock that you have. They require you to buy a new one for every handgun you PPT or buy. Unless you have a safe at home.

30 days. Or if one comes from the factory for that specific handgun.

Safe affidavit for long guns.

Because you are signing an AFFIDAVIT.

They do not know, but are taking your word for it. Particularly based on this statement:

I certify that the safe will accommodate the firearm(s) I am taking delivery on ________________. I declare under penalty of perjury that all statements made in this affidavit are true and complete.

HellnBack
04-21-2011, 10:08 AM

You will be required to sign an affidavit that you already have one.

My experience: previously,Before picking up my HG,since I dont want to pay 10$ for the lock,I just bring a chain lock(5$ @ Wally) with purchase receipt that shows lock is no more than 30 days old But lately they did not even asked for the lock but they required me to sign the affidavit.
HTH

G1500
04-21-2011, 10:10 AM
You will be required to sign an affidavit that you already have one.

My experience: previously,Before picking up my HG,since I dont want to pay 10$ for the lock,I just bring a chain lock(5$ @ Wally) with purchase receipt that shows lock is no more than 30 days old But lately they did not even asked for the lock but they required me to sign the affidavit.
HTH

That is probably because you have a safe, and you were buying long guns. Sound about right?

Coded-Dude
04-21-2011, 10:11 AM
They asked for receipt of lock(not the lock itself) last time I went in. Thanks for the clarification. I was just curious if you have to have some sort of CA approved safe reg card on you or something. Don't own a safe, yet.

My understanding was all handguns require lock(but many new handguns come with one) and long guns are gtg(no lock required) if you have a safe

CaliB&R
04-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Not to thread jack, but are you required to install the lock before walking out? I had a shop tell me it was in the law, but when I looked I could not find it. Id rather not have to open a lock if Im going to return it.

Coded-Dude
04-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Not to thread jack, but are you required to install the lock before walking out? I had a shop tell me it was in the law, but when I looked I could not find it. Id rather not have to open a lock if Im going to return it.

Not sure, but I've never been forced to install one.

ke6guj
04-21-2011, 10:52 AM
nothing in the law says that it must be used. Some dealers purposely open the packaging to install it just so that you can't return it.

cnj
04-21-2011, 10:57 AM
30 days. Or if one comes from the factory for that specific handgun.

I tried using the factory lock that came with a firearm I recently purchased via PPT. No go. Ammo Bros made me buy a new lock anyway.

rubber duckie
04-21-2011, 11:08 AM
most FFLs are just there to make a buck like charge over 35 for dros or $10 lock when the gun comes with a lock. if the lock comes with the gun at the time of dros, its ok since you just bought that gun and lock the day of dros. if they make you buy a lock even though the gun came with a lock, they just took you for $10.

or you can buy a lock from big 5 or walmart, then return after you showed them the receipt and lock.

Santa Cruz Armory
04-21-2011, 11:11 AM
A local shop near me will not accept nor will he give you the safe affidavit form. Long gun or pistol. He said you MUST have a lock.

G1500
04-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Getting a gun shop to listen to what you have to say sometimes is like pulling teeth.

They usually get their way, and you usually get screwed.

Librarian
04-21-2011, 11:21 PM
The actual laws governing locks described -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California#Locks.2C _Safes.2C_and_Laws

Getting FFLs to follow it is another story.

INJUNTOM
04-21-2011, 11:38 PM
Regardless of the law, I've seen all different ways of doing it, from not saying anything about a lock, to being forced to buy a lock, to being asked if i had a safe, to being allowed to slide with an old lock I brought with me, to having to do a safety demonstratiion, etc.

This at a few different shops, and sometimes widely different approaches at the same place with different person waiting on me, etc.

G1500
04-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Regardless of the law, I've seen all different ways of doing it, from not saying anything about a lock, to being forced to buy a lock, to being asked if i had a safe, to being allowed to slide with an old lock I brough with me, to having to do a safety demonstratiion, etc.

This at a few different shops, and sometimes widely different approaches at the same place with different person waiting on me, etc.

Did they all tell you to keep your ammo and your mags separate?

lol

It sucks that you can find more consistant stupidity from a wide selection of people, yet you can't explain anything to them that will make everyone's life easier.....Even with PROOF.

Oh well.

Mickey D
04-23-2011, 5:32 AM
Regardless of the law, I've seen all different ways of doing it, from not saying anything about a lock, to being forced to buy a lock, to being asked if i had a safe, to being allowed to slide with an old lock I brought with me, to having to do a safety demonstratiion, etc.

I have experienced the same. It's all over the board.