PDA

View Full Version : Sporting holsters 101 - help me out

Whiterabbit
04-21-2011, 9:08 AM
Hi Guys,

There are alot of different holsters out there BUT all the google reading material assumes the reader has the basics down already. It's been pulling teeth to sort out all the lingo and what really distinguishes Feature A from Feature B, etc.

I'm looking for a sporting holster to take hunting and all I can figure out for sure is I want it to rest vertically under my left arm with the weight carried on my shoulder/shoulders. So it looks like bandolier type or barney fife type?

What's the difference between a bandolier holster and barney fife holster? They look the same to my untrained eye?

beaster
04-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Looks like Fife wore a low ride duty holster on his belt. Are you referring to the Barney Miller shoulder holster? This style straps around both shoulders and usually has mag holsters under the other arm, as opposed to the single strap bandolier your talking about. Check out opticsplanet.com, they have a wide variety of holsters/styles to choose from, you might find something there.

Whiterabbit
04-21-2011, 8:36 PM
I think I am. I just read "barney fife holster" from some forum somewhere and did a google images search and just assumed it was the guy who had the "gun in a purse" kinda look to him, since the discussion was vertical shoulder holsters....

I've definitely been on many retailer websites, uncle mikes, etc etc and google looking for info. But many of them already assume everyone knows exactly what a bandolier holster IS, how to wear a pistol on the shoulders, where there will be ties, cross draw or not, how to wear a gunbelt over a belt, all these things I am lost over, and it goes on and on and on.

I'm just looking for what keywords I need to know to search for information on how to carry a handgun in a vertical position under my left armpit securely enough to scramble up rocks in the woods without it flopping all over the place. After that I can try to find the model that meets the rest of my needs like fitment, retaining flap, etc.

cindynles
04-24-2011, 12:09 PM
How much are you looking to spend? Some of the best are the "Guides Choice" holsters, but they are a bit pricy.

http://www.shop.diamonddcustomleather.com/images/11137_178892689405_178845424405_2703210_3239925_n. jpg

http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/

Whiterabbit
04-24-2011, 12:58 PM
I have a feeling that I'm gonna be buying twice on this one. A winter model and summer model. Winter having a weather flap and summer being more open (maybe leather?)

The guide's choice looks pretty sweet but I'm wondering about comfort of a chest holster vs under the arm? Can anyone speak from experience on this one?

cindynles
04-24-2011, 1:06 PM
-j-g8YYPMCE

Here is a good review of it.....

JHiM9cXuaWY

And here is Hickok45 wearing it in one of his videos.

ystKKZ20YOQ