PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 or Beretta 92fs

Buss619
04-21-2011, 7:41 AM
Hello all,

I am buying my first handgun and I am trying to decide which would be better the glock 17 or the beretta 92fs. I am definitely going 9mm and I want full size not compact. Can anyone help me figure out which would be better. I know the differences between the guns mostly.... I would just like to know some of your personal opinions on which I should go with.

Thanks

dmacintyre
04-21-2011, 7:44 AM
I'm not a Glock fanboy, in fact I prefer the Beretta brand. However for ease of maintenance, reliability, aftermarket parts, customer service, etc I'd get the 17.

p7m8jg
04-21-2011, 7:46 AM
Beretta makes great guns. Glock, too. I agree with Dmacintyre - there's everything for Glocks. And they always go "bang" when you pull the trigger.

Always.

ocspeedracer
04-21-2011, 7:47 AM
Get the 17, then take it to hell and back.

Street Legal
04-21-2011, 7:48 AM
Get both :43:

evidens83
04-21-2011, 7:51 AM
I would get both! ;) A better question you should be asking is which ammo is better...

WW2Buff
04-21-2011, 7:51 AM
Beretta. No questions asked. I struggled with that decision a few years ago and made the mistake of getting the GLOCK. I liked it but no where near as much as I like the 92/M9 series.

Dark Mod
04-21-2011, 7:52 AM
Oh dude get the beretta. Seriously. Theres nothing like the way it feels in your hand, the heft of its full steel frame, the sights are great, ergonomics are great, and it will last you a lifetime. Not that the glock isnt any and all of these, its just that the beretta is a beautiful machine while the glock is simply another glock.

CrossedRifles
04-21-2011, 7:54 AM
When I rented both, I liked the Beretta better. The Beretta's longer trigger pull was a minus, but the ergonomics and feel were superior to Glock. Recoil-wise, from my short experience handling the both, Glock felt like it had more recoil.

aca72
04-21-2011, 7:55 AM
Both are champs. Get them both.

choprzrul
04-21-2011, 7:58 AM
Smith & Wesson M&P in your choice of 4.25" or 5" full sized models:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/detail_md/209001_01_md.jpg

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/detail_md/205301_01_md.jpg

Then, send the gun off to Apex Tactical Specialties (http://www.apextactical.com/) to have Randy & Scott turn it into a world class, finely tuned, competition ready sidearm. I see no way that you could go wrong following this path.

pdugan6
04-21-2011, 7:58 AM
two totally different feeling guns so hold both of them and ask the sales staff about the differences of safety features. A Glock, contrary to conventional, the trigger is the only operating element. All three pistol safeties are deactivated when the trigger is pulled -and automatically activated when it is released and is SAO. For the Berreta, the manual safety also functions as a decocking lever.A firing pin block secures the firing pin.
The chamber loaded indicator is visible or can be felt by touch. Also it is SA/DA

Oceanbob
04-21-2011, 7:59 AM
The GLOCK 17 is a basic required handgun for every gun owner. It runs 100%.

Several options are available to pimp it out. Including a 33 round mag, 17 round mag, trigger kits, various site options, barrels, etc.

It's one gun you will never sell.

Later, get a Beretta if you feel like it. I own both, but my Bug Out Zombie Gun between the two is the Glock.

My 1992 black GLOCK 17 (bought new) and my new Glock 17 in Olive Drab.

(you will soon find out that one GLOCK is never enough)

:D

http://i53.tinypic.com/29p3vy0.jpg

vietcious
04-21-2011, 8:05 AM

Several options are available to pimp it out. Including a 33 round mag, 17 round mag, trigger kits, various site options, barrels, etc.

Later, get a Beretta if you feel like it. I own both, but my Bug Out Zombie Gun between the two is the Glock.

http://i53.tinypic.com/29p3vy0.jpg

This.

I've missed my glock 19 since I've sold it. Sure, I like my sig better but I think if I had to choose one and only one for the rest of my life... It'd be a glock.

So I guess my answer is....get both :)

voiceoftheright
04-21-2011, 8:06 AM
I love Berettas, but both guns have a long line of use with proven reliablity (no matter what some random person on the net says their friend's friend told them). Just go with what feels better in your hand.

submoa1
04-21-2011, 8:09 AM
Over the last year I've had a XD, MP, Sigma, Ruger and I sold them all and ended up with the Glock 17. I also really liked the berreta but the Glock 17 like others said is a must in a man's collection!

badduggy
04-21-2011, 8:19 AM
im a long time sig guy. shot it, trained with it, then i tried a glock. i am starting to like the glock more and more. less controls to deal with for hand placement when drawing from the holster, one trigger pull, its exactly what is called for after you learn to shoot correctly.
get the best price you can though because theres millions of them out there and they probably wont appreciate in value.

triplestack3
04-21-2011, 8:26 AM
Guess it depends really... the G17 has a snappier recoil and the squarish grip doesn't fit my hands all that well. For some reason, it seems a little more challenging to shoot accurately than some of the other stuff that I have handled. The Beretta fits betters and has less recoil... and I like the sights better too. Field strip on the G17 is about as easy as it gets, which I like a lot. Personal preference? Buy both I guess

Q619
04-21-2011, 8:45 AM
Oh dude get the beretta. Seriously. Theres nothing like the way it feels in your hand, the heft of its full steel frame, the sights are great, ergonomics are great, and it will last you a lifetime. Not that the glock isnt any and all of these, its just that the beretta is a beautiful machine while the glock is simply another glock.

The frame is aluminum...doesn't have much of a heft.

I've had both. Both shot very well for me side by side....in fact, I'm slightly better with the Beretta. Only problem for me was the ergo's on the Beretta...I just don't like them. I also dislike the safety as it's the exact opposite of what I'm hard wired to do (been shooting 1911's for a while). Due to those two things I ended up trading for another Glock.

It really comes down to preference as I believe them both to be excellent guns. Rent/shoot both and get the one you like most.

thefinger
04-21-2011, 8:47 AM
For a FIRST handgun, get the Glock.

1) Glocks are SIMPLE to use. No thumb safety, decocker, or DA/SA trigger to learn. Simplicity of use is important for new handgun shooters.

2) Berettas are NOT SIMPLE to use. Safety, decocker, can chamber a round with the safety on and will automatically decock, DA/SA, etc. Of course anyone can become familiar with the Beretta, but the Glock is so much simpler to use, which means far fewer opportunities for a new shooter to make a mistake.

3) Glocks are perfection.

zfields
04-21-2011, 8:50 AM

(you will soon find out that one GLOCK is way too many )

Some people dont like glocks, deal with it already : )

OP, get out there and shoot a bunch if you havent already. Neither of those guns fits me well, and I almost bought both blindly. Be sure you try out a sample of all the "big name" guns to see what works for you best.

Glocks and berettas are like apples and oranges, two totally different guns.

BTW my first gun was a berreta, sold it a few years later since i never shot it much.

coyotebait
04-21-2011, 9:03 AM
I like both. When I decided to get a 9mm, I was facing the same question that you have. I decided that since I already have a G30 that I would buy the Beretta if they were the same price. My new G17 RTF with factory night sights and coming from the factory with that cool little rail to mount a tac-light on (that I'll probably never use) was about $200.00 less than the Berettas next to them, and they didn't have night sights or the rail. Just my $0.02

huckberry668
04-21-2011, 9:11 AM
Having owned, shot both should be a requirement for any serious handgunner in my opinion. the m92 and the G17 behave and feel very differently. Some dislike the M92s girth and some don't like the recoil characteristics of Glocks. I love both.

sometimes getting one handgun isn't just for self defense or plinking. It may also be admired and appreciated. Glock is definitely an excellent choice but there isn't much to look at or play with due its simple & purposely focused design. M92 on the hand is heck of a looker (to me), butter smooth and more traditional in design.

I recently got into lasers and have a lot of fun with them. Beretta is easy to have a laser installed and not affect the looks and handling. Lasers solutions for the Glock aren't all that ergonomic. My go-to gun in the house is now the Beretta due to the laser option but the G19 is right next to it.

Steve1968LS2
04-21-2011, 9:20 AM
I'm not a Glock fanboy, in fact I prefer the Beretta brand. However for ease of maintenance, reliability, aftermarket parts, customer service, etc I'd get the 17.

I have both (Gen III on the G17) and the Beretta feels much better in my hand and seems to point better.

But, it's had to beat the dependability and toughness of the Glock.

Mr. Beretta
04-21-2011, 9:39 AM
Beretta 92FS !

rogervzv
04-21-2011, 9:49 AM
When I rented both, I liked the Beretta better. The Beretta's longer trigger pull was a minus, but the ergonomics and feel were superior to Glock. Recoil-wise, from my short experience handling the both, Glock felt like it had more recoil.

You can get a trigger job on the Beretta for that first double-action shot. Nothing can turn the Glock into a Beretta. You seem to have noticed that yourself based on your comment above. :D

duc748bip
04-21-2011, 9:56 AM
If you don't woant to work with long DA pull of the first shot, than a Glock it is.

Pred@tor
04-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I shot the glocks at a rental range when I bought my first handgun a four years ago. Didnt like how they flipped when you shot em. I didn't shoot a Beretta but that is what I ended up with and its a great gun. I highly recommend getting one.

mdhpper
04-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Go to the range and rent both, then decide.

Munk
04-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Hello all,

I am buying a peice of fruit and i'm trying to decide which is better the Apple or the orange. I'm definitely going handheld and don't want a grape. Can anyone help me figure out which would be better. I know the differences between the fruits mostly...Which one tastes better?my first handgun and I am trying to decide which would be better the glock 17 or the beretta 92fs. I am definitely going 9mm and I want full size not compact. Can anyone help me figure out which would be better. I know the differences between the guns mostly.... I would just like to know some of your personal opinions on which I should go with. Thanks

Apples, oranges. Both are yummy. Preference is a really personal thing. Eventually you'll want to eat them both.

I love my beretta, and I have fun with my friend's glock. The only issues that either has ever had is when one of us put their gun together slightly wrong after a full takedown. A quick re-assembly had things back in order and running like a top.

Call_me_Tom
04-21-2011, 11:41 AM
I don't own a Glock but I will some day. I own 3 Beretta pistols & love them all. I've shot plenty of Glocks & my only two gripes are the square grip & recoil. If I had to make a complaint about the 92FS it would be the non dovetailed front sight, the decock/safety & no rail under the dust cover.

I personally feel that the 92FS is a safer pistol for new shooters as it has redundant safeties built into it.

coyotebait
04-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Hello all,

I am buying my first handgun and I am trying to decide which one I should buy first, the glock 17 or the beretta 92fs. I am definitely going 9mm and I will end up buying both. Can anyone help me figure out which should be first? I know the differences between the guns mostly.... I would just like to know some of your personal opinions on which I should go with.

Thanks

There O.P., I fixed that for ya.:)

shooterdude
04-21-2011, 12:03 PM
For a FIRST handgun, get the Glock.

1) Glocks are SIMPLE to use. No thumb safety, decocker, or DA/SA trigger to learn. Simplicity of use is important for new handgun shooters.

2) Berettas are NOT SIMPLE to use. Safety, decocker, can chamber a round with the safety on and will automatically decock, DA/SA, etc. Of course anyone can become familiar with the Beretta, but the Glock is so much simpler to use, which means far fewer opportunities for a new shooter to make a mistake.

3) Glocks are perfection.

Simple guns for simple people! On the other hand I graduated from high school so I can handle a complicated gun like a Beretta. ;-)

rg_1111@yahoo.com
04-21-2011, 12:07 PM
I owned a Beretta Centurion for years and loved it. Then I shot a Glock 21 and been a Glock fan from now on.

Bill Steele
04-21-2011, 12:16 PM
I own a number of 9mm handguns. I own a Beretta 92FS and like it a lot (shot it yesterday).

I don't own a Glock as they have never appealed to me visually and the grip angle doesn't feel as good to me as many other options (having said that, I always shoot them well).

As a first handgun, if the Glock feels good in your hand and you can get past the butt ugly looks, then I would recommend the Glock.

It is a simpler gun on many levels, perfect for a newcomer.

ianS
04-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Simple guns for simple people! On the other hand I graduated from high school so I can handle a complicated gun like a Beretta. ;-)

Another way to look at it is they're needlessly complicated and redundant. A manual safety and a decocker? The gun doesn't trust you. It doesn't seem to trust itself.

I like the Beretta 92FS actually but that is one "feature" I never liked. They should have made all of them like the 92G Elite I used to have (decocker only like SIG Sauers) IMO.

And complicated is okay at the range and interesting I guess. But not necessarily under stress in real life when there's usually other things going on. K.I.S.S. = Glock. For any weapon its a good thing actually. But if you rely on a Beretta 92FS manipulating that DA/SA transition well, flipping up the safety (if it applies) and remembering to decock should be second nature. You shouldn't have to think about doing them.

Josh3239
04-21-2011, 12:32 PM
I feel the same as this man. I learned to shoot handguns on a Glock, my first handgun was a Glock, Glocks are very well made handguns and they are very simple to shoot. However, after I bought my 92FS, it took some getting used to but I enjoy shooting it more and find I am a better shot with it. The 92FS also doesn't require pulling the trigger for takedown, which IMO is always better. Besides, it is fun to have the same handgun that the US military adopted as their primary sidearm.

Beretta. No questions asked. I struggled with that decision a few years ago and made the mistake of getting the GLOCK. I liked it but no where near as much as I like the 92/M9 series.

glock22fs
04-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Glock. only one trigger pull to learn and manipulations are much easier

MoBait
04-21-2011, 12:33 PM

To the OP, before you pimp out the gun with standard capacity mags or glock 18 mags you might want to be aware of the laws in CA. Not saying you shouldn't have these but just be aware of the laws. It would be nice to have standard caps when zombies are attacking you.

Between the 92FS and a Glock, I would get a Glock because of the rail. Between an M9A1 and a Glock, I would get the M9A1 because of the rail.

The 92FS also doesn't require pulling the trigger for takedown, which IMO is always better.

Josh, do you care to explain why it is always better?

Damiiaaannn
04-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Browning HP. Best 9mm pistol.

BamBam-31
04-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Both good guns with good track records. Biggest differences are in ergonomics and controls. Beretta 92fs has a wide grip and a more conventional grip angle, Glock 17 has a slimmer grip and a more Luger-shaped grip angle. Beretta has the slide mounted external safety (to which some people will say "external safety?" or "slide mounted?" or both), Glock has none. Beretta has the DA/SA pull to learn, Glocks have the same trigger pull from shot #1 thru #10. Glock also is king in the aftermarket department, whereas Berettas sometimes have fixed sights that cannot be changed at all. I would think a slight edge in accuracy goes to the Beretta, but both will be more accurate than 90% of their owners.

IOW, personal preference. :D

InGrAM
04-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Get a Taurus pt92 it has a frame mounted safety/decocker. :)

The beretta and the glock are just about as different as they come in pistols.
Glock: striker fired, polymer frame, NO external thumb safety. DAO trigger
Beretta: hammer fired, metal frame, decocker. DA/SA trigger

The glock is probably more reliable BUT when are you really going to drag your glock behind your truck for a mile? or submerge it in mud? or freeze it in ice?

Both guns will do just fire for what you need them for. I would get a glock or a taurus pt92.

UserM4
04-21-2011, 1:28 PM
If you're like a lot of us and have trained with an AR15, you will be proficient in engaging and disengaging the safety. Same goes for the Beretta. If you can't flip the safety off under stress, it's not a gun issue, it's a training issue.

I own a G17. When carried in a proper holster, I never worry about a negligent or accidental discharge. It's when I'm handling the gun that I worry about an incident. The problem with people are that we're not perfect. If you were to drop something like a can of soda, your instinct is to reach out and try to catch it. But even tho we know better than to grab a falling gun, we do. It's subconscious and instinctual. That kinda stuff can get you killed. And it happens.

You know that we're trained to keep our fingers off the trigger but during a heated argument or an animated story telling, you pull the trigger. This happens.

There's been a lot of incidents with Glocks throughout the years. People are fallible.

I trust my life on Glocks. They're reliable and dependable. Just be safe

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

J.D.Allen
04-21-2011, 2:04 PM
If you don't woant to work with long DA pull of the first shot, than a Glock it is.

Or you can get a Taurus PT92. Same damn gun as the Beretta, and with manual safety for cocked and locked.

Also under 500 bones.

And I don't like the idea of a Glock for a new shooter...safety concerns

:hide:

shooterdude
04-21-2011, 2:07 PM
Another way to look at it is they're needlessly complicated and redundant. A manual safety and a decocker? The gun doesn't trust you. It doesn't seem to trust itself.

I like the Beretta 92FS actually but that is one "feature" I never liked. They should have made all of them like the 92G Elite I used to have (decocker only like SIG Sauers) IMO.

And complicated is okay at the range and interesting I guess. But not necessarily under stress in real life when there's usually other things going on. K.I.S.S. = Glock. For any weapon its a good thing actually. But if you rely on a Beretta 92FS manipulating that DA/SA transition well, flipping up the safety (if it applies) and remembering to decock should be second nature. You shouldn't have to think about doing them.

This is a debate much deeper than G17 vs 92FS, it is really about what safety features make sense and for whom. For how many decades were the 1911's carried into combat cocked and locked so that manipulating the safety became part of the process of drawing it from the holster to make it ready to fire? It was merely part of the training in using the weapon. That is the real topic to be debated;training, not one model vs the other.

The real problem with the Glock is that it relies on the safety device between the ears of the shooter...this device is often inadequate in many.

nimbus
04-21-2011, 2:59 PM
Rent them both at the range like others have said. Only one way to figure out which of those two you'll end up liking. They are both excellent platforms, but very different in form and feel.

I was in your position a week ago and bought a new G17. I still have my eyes set on a 92, but I decided to go Glock first. I'll probably end up with both down the line!

ianS
04-21-2011, 3:31 PM
This is a debate much deeper than G17 vs 92FS, it is really about what safety features make sense and for whom. For how many decades were the 1911's carried into combat cocked and locked so that manipulating the safety became part of the process of drawing it from the holster to make it ready to fire? It was merely part of the training in using the weapon. That is the real topic to be debated;training, not one model vs the other.

The real problem with the Glock is that it relies on the safety device between the ears of the shooter...this device is often inadequate in many.

Actually what I believe is manual safety vs. DA/SA vs. Glock type trigger should be a matter of personal choice. Whatever is comfortable to someone. And what they prefer to shoot. But I do think the decocker/manual safety on the 92FS models to be a bit of overkill.

I see it this way. If someone can't make the basic safety rules of gun handling second nature (keep finger off the trigger til ready to fire, keep it pointed in safe direction etc) then they should seriously re-think their priorities as a gunowner. If they can't be mindful of something extremely basic like keeping your finger off the trigger what else are they gonna slacking off on? Are they gonna be riding the trigger constantly if they have a manual safety or heavier DA trigger? Do they always rest their finger on the trigger whenever they're pointing the gun at something? Wanting that larger room for error is the wrong mindset. The mindset should be the same whether one has a Glock with a round chambered or a Beretta 92FS decocked safety on and in Condition 3.

If someone is not immediately pointing or about to shoot an intruder/perp the pistol should either be in the holster or something like a GunVault. When I used to train with a 1911 I flipped the safety down as it was clearing holster/bringing it up to the target, but my finger was off the trigger. (Unless of course the decision to shoot was already made as soon as I clear holster).

Its a balancing of safety vs. effectiveness. Everyone needs to find what they'll be comfortable with and feel good about. For some its a Glock. Others a 92FS.

ZX-10R
04-21-2011, 6:14 PM
Beretta without a doubt. That is me...Glock did not even crack my top 10 list of guns to buy. Won't ever either. Glock felt uncomfortable in my hand, shot well but not better than M&P 9 or FNP-9, looks (yeah looks count when you spend cash) stupid, and lastly...It is my choice to have something most do not and something I liked.

A buddy is picking up a M9A1 tomorrow by the way if that helps. His choices were in this order.

Beretta M9A1 - his brother already has an M9.
M&P 9
FNP-9
P95

resident-shooter
04-21-2011, 6:27 PM
SIg I tellz yas

esartori
04-21-2011, 6:32 PM
Shoot both if u can but ull have buyers remorse either way and probably get the other

flyingjalapeno
04-21-2011, 7:14 PM
I too am having the same issue of buying a glock 17 or a beretta M9A1. But since it will be my first gun, I am going with the glock. Although once I replenish my funds and I am more educated about handguns, I AM getting a M9A1 no doubt about that. SO get both but start with a glock.

Target19
04-21-2011, 7:20 PM
Can't say both good guns.
I think Glock for cheaper overall value in term of mods.

SIGman Freud
04-21-2011, 7:38 PM

Oooh...them is fightin' words.

:hide:

l8apex
04-21-2011, 7:41 PM
Buy a used Glock 17. Spend the rest on ammo and training. Pick up the 92 later, as after you've trained and got the fundamentals down, the gun won't matter as much. Any gun will do if you do. YMMV.

Glock
Pros: Price, maintenance, one trigger to learn, no external safety to fuss with or accidentally engage, aftermarket support, parts easily accessible, light weight etc.
Cons: Trigger will not feel as crisp as the 92, felt recoil may be slightly more, grip to some is problematic, factory mag catch needs to be replaced with Vickers, stock sights questionable to some.

Beretta 92
Pros: Trigger in single action is easy to shoot straight, open slide makes malf clearances easier, less felt recoil due to weight etc
Cons: Double action will take training to master, safety may be accidentally engaged or user may forget to disengage, parts not readily available to civilians, cleaning and oil is a must, weight is heavy [in modern terms], aftermarket support is few are far between, etc.

Both guns are easy to shoot really fast and accurate, YMMV. Choose what works for you.

Target19
04-21-2011, 7:45 PM
Can't say both good guns.
I think Glock for cheaper overall value in term of mods.

Don't listen to me though.
I like Glocks but have never bought one.
I just shoot others Glocks.

Tiberius
04-21-2011, 7:58 PM
Another vote for the Beretta - and not just because they're beautiful. Glock's are great guns, but pretty they aint.

The real reason to go with the Beretta is to get to know the DA/SA safety/decocker system. Learning it on your first gun ingrains it; you can always go to a Glock. But given the number of DA/SA guns out there, having a comfort level with it is worthwhile. Sort of like learning to drive a manual transmission first.

DannyZRC
04-21-2011, 8:11 PM
Another vote for the Beretta - and not just because they're beautiful. Glock's are great guns, but pretty they aint.

The real reason to go with the Beretta is to get to know the DA/SA safety/decocker system. Learning it on your first gun ingrains it; you can always go to a Glock. But given the number of DA/SA guns out there, having a comfort level with it is worthwhile. Sort of like learning to drive a manual transmission first.

I like this angle on the question.

IMO, it's also (much)easier to shoot a Beretta well than to be 100% safe always with a glock/glock style pistol.

SIGman Freud
04-21-2011, 8:15 PM
Hmm. I keep seeing people describe the Glock's consistent trigger pull without mentioning that it actually takes time to effectively learn the trigger reset. For some, the learning curve is quite easy to master the art of using Glock's trigger reset system, while for others (myself included) it takes time to really feel comfortable with and to be accurate. I have never been fully at ease with the Glock though I must train with it for my job. I have shot Sigs, CZ's, Walthers, Bersas, and Rugers, and was able to acclimate to the grip, trigger and recoil quite easily. Not so easy for me with the Glock. I naturally shoot well with those other guns. Something about a blocky plastic frame supporting a steel slide that discharges very hot 40 S & W rounds makes it a challenge for me (G 23). That said, with practice I have become quite competent with my firearm. With a Glock 17/19/26, I handle the recoil better and am more accurate, but it's still not "fun" for me to shoot. It just doesn't do it for me. That said, the Glock has been around and will BE around for a very long time due to its reliability, durability, ease of maintenance, availability of parts, cost factor.....you name it. I would strongly consider the Glock if those are your main concerns. If you want a fun range gun, with a stronger appeal for fit and finish, and don't mind spending the money on something that will hold its value long term, consider a Sig, an H & K, or a 1911 (in 9mm or 45 acp).

To the OP, as the others have posted.......you really must rent a gun before you buy it. Only, don't limit your options to just the Glock or the Beretta. You may not be crazy about either when stacked up against other guns. The beauty is you still have a good set of guns to select from (even in this goofy gun law state). Try a S & W M&P 9! Try the CZ line of pistols! I love them! Rugers are great, too! Sigs and H & K's are masterpieces and must be shot (if not owned) just for the experience! ;) The point is, each gun is different and requires training with it. What points and shoots well for one person may not work quite as well for you. As long as you have choices, though, rent a variety until you find the one that feels well in your hand and, more importantly, gives you results on paper that you are looking for.

Good luck!

OCGuy
04-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Two fine choices. Gotta think what is important to you. And I don't mean reliability, price or accuracy. They are similar in that respect ( if you said HK or Beretta that's a different story ). What I mean is how does it feel in your hand? Which one points more naturally for you? Do you like the weight and feel of steel or do you prefer plastic? Are you gonna carry? From a gangsta-bling point of view the glock is as ghetto as it gets. However, the Beretta has that timeless Lethal Weapon Martin Riggs shooting a smiley face-Die Hard John McClaine blowing away the bad guys-Hard Boiled Chow Yun Fat Dual wielding-Matrix Trinity "Dodge this!" Hollywood bad *** cachet to it. Goodluck!

morfeeis
04-21-2011, 10:53 PM
i shoot a bit better with the 92f but i bought a glock, i might end up with a 92f later but for now glock won round 1.

gatesbox
04-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Not so easy for me with the Glock. I naturally shoot well with those other guns. Something about a blocky plastic frame supporting a steel slide that discharges very hot 40 S & W

Several gun shops have told me that the 40 SW is the hot seller....I don't know why...I talked to an armorer who claimed that a 9mm does just about the same thing in the human body without the horrible pressure and snap of the .40.....also said they were the only glocks that came back for work....

You cannot go wrong with a G17....and load up on 10 rd mags....sure you can own high cap rebuild kits but why? I am so done with the obsession to own things just because you can even though you can never use them.....I have several broken down mag parts that came with me in the move to CA, they just collect dust...

cali_armz
04-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Hello all,

I am buying my first handgun and I am trying to decide which would be better the glock 17 or the beretta 92fs. I am definitely going 9mm and I want full size not compact. Can anyone help me figure out which would be better. I know the differences between the guns mostly.... I would just like to know some of your personal opinions on which I should go with.

Thanks

both are very high quality firearms. glock might have a slight advantage in reliability, but thats merely speculation.

in the end, it would probably be best for you to rent both and see which you like more as a personal preference.

either way though, you cant go wrong

himurax13
04-22-2011, 9:53 AM
I personally don't care for either of those guns, but that is my personal preference. You need to figure out what you will use it for (i.e. home defense, CCW, competition, plinking). Both guns are vastly different in form and function. The Glock 17 is easier to operate and upgrade. It also uses a striker fired action which will yield the same pull every time you pull the trigger. The Beretta is a bit more complicated to use, especially the awkward slide safety. It is also DA/SA so the first pull is much heavier than each subsequent shots. Some people can shoot one style better than the other. So I would suggest shooting each one first then deciding which one you can shoot better and which one feels more comfortable for you to use.

tbhracing
04-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Quickly- I own both and will tell you to go Glock for best all around mechanics, etc.

The problem for me with both pistols are the wide/fat grips. I am finding out my hand is only medium sized that been adapting to larger pistols over the past 20+ years.

I would go to the range and fire them both- A LOT.

Other notes- The Beretta has an external safety, I DO NOT LIKE THIS. That is big for me. I love the look of the Beretta, but for all around combat, SD/HD and a gun to sleep next to me, I like my Glock. I also like the trigger reset on the 17 as well and need to bump down to a 3.5 connector.

Hope that helps :chris:

richzmn
04-22-2011, 1:51 PM
Rent before you buy.

Look at the CZ 75B also: http://www.best9mm.com/

I prefer the CZ to the other two.

gunafficionado
04-22-2011, 2:14 PM
G17 - very reliable and accurate - at least in my experience.

JimAmentler
04-22-2011, 2:34 PM
Having carried both Glocks and the Beretta M9 (92), I MUCH prefer the Glock and that is what I carry when not on military duty. I am forced to carry the M9 while on duty.

GlennG31
04-22-2011, 2:49 PM
Having carried both Glocks and the Beretta M9 (92), I MUCH prefer the Glock and that is what I carry when not on military duty. I am forced to carry the M9 while on duty.

Thank you for your service, Jim! Since you've had to carry the M9 while on duty, I'm curious to know what it is that you don't like about that pistol. I'm looking to purchase a M9A1 myself, so I'm interested in getting other people's feedback on the platform. I know it boils down to being a personal choice, but I still value other people's opinions, good and bad.

DannyZRC
04-22-2011, 3:46 PM

Why choose to complicate your training / increase your decision space, do you think the Glock is that much better a tool?

Clearly you are very experienced, and also very aware of training considerations, so that's why I ask my questions.

what specifically drives you to the Glock over the M9? Size? DA/SA? Safety? the way the safety works? Hand fit issues?

CALI SHOT DOC
04-22-2011, 4:27 PM
Buy which ever gun feels right to you. See which one feels more comfortable in your hand. Glock 17 is a great gun. Very easy to field strip to clean and replace parts if need be and will always be ready to go in the worst of situations without any doubt

1lostinspace
04-22-2011, 4:30 PM
I own both and can tell you that the Glock is superior in every way.

Hope this helps

peter95
04-22-2011, 7:34 PM
G17, no doubt!

daybreak
04-22-2011, 8:20 PM
I think the best advice you're going to get is to shoot both and then decide which you like better.

It really doesn't matter what we think. Some people shoot the 92FS better, some shoot the glock better.

With that being said. My own personal opinion is that you can't go wrong with the G17 and you can't beat glock for reliability and ruggedness.

zfields
04-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Rent before you buy.

Look at the CZ 75B also: http://www.best9mm.com/

I prefer the CZ to the other two.

I didnt want to say it first!

But that website is bunk. Look around other reviews, the CZ is a highly rated gun.

orangeusa
04-22-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm highly biased towards Berettas. But have yet to find a pistol I DON'T like - ha! (Not counting mouse guns).

Beretta - you can't go wrong. Glock - shoot straight and you can't go wrong. Oh, did I mention Sigs - can't go wrong. Uhh - Rugers - you can't go wrong... S&W's... sweet.

Get my point? Bottom line - most any gun .38/9mm or above are extremely well designed.

It really is a personal - "oh, I REALLY want that pistola..." type of decision.
And it ends up mostly about the controls and what you are comfortable with.

As a lefty, 1911's don't work for me mostly. I would love to own one, but I'm not comfortable with the 'other side' safety...

Highlands858
04-23-2011, 1:03 AM
When I bought my first pistol I had narrowed it down to those two same handguns.

As I researched (extensively, wanted to make the right decision) I began to realize that every review I saw/read used the Glock 17 as the standard against which to measure the Beretta 92FS.

That did it for me. No fanboy, but Glock has a new loyal customer in me.

JimAmentler
04-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Thank you for your service, Jim! Since you've had to carry the M9 while on duty, I'm curious to know what it is that you don't like about that pistol. I'm looking to purchase a M9A1 myself, so I'm interested in getting other people's feedback on the platform. I know it boils down to being a personal choice, but I still value other people's opinions, good and bad.

Thank you, sir. It is truly my pleasure to be able to serve.

There are two main reasons that I prefer not to use the Beretta.

- The trigger. While I don't care for using a trigger that is one weight on the first press and is different on the rest, that part is really negligible. Under a stress situation I did not feel the difference between the two trigger presses. More importantly to me is that there is a LOOOONNNNNGGGGG press on the initial round. Lots of slop to take up and then it's still a long press until "bang". With the Glock it is much better, IMO.

- The second part is the manual safety. It's an extra step when presenting the weapon and, if I neglect to sweep it off leaves me with a dead trigger. Another part of the manual safety is that I train to rack the slide bt going over the top of the weapon with a large portion of my hand and pushing the weapon forward while grabbing the slide and bringing my hand forcefully back to my shoulder. When doing that on the Beretta you put the weapon back in safe mode since the decocker/safety is activated by moving it down and to the rear. Leaving me to again sweep the safety off before I press the trigger.

If what I have written is not clear, please let me know and I will attempt to clarify.

S/F!

Doc Amentler

JimAmentler
04-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Why choose to complicate your training / increase your decision space, do you think the Glock is that much better a tool?

Clearly you are very experienced, and also very aware of training considerations, so that's why I ask my questions.

what specifically drives you to the Glock over the M9? Size? DA/SA? Safety? the way the safety works? Hand fit issues?

Good questions. And ones that I thought about before moving to the Glock.

Yes, I do think that the Glock is a better, more proven weapon AND it fits me hand better. I also prefer to have the same trigger press each and every time. The Glock 19, a smaller weapon than the M9, conceals better for me.

Another big piece here is that I am no longer active duty, but am in the reserves and also, when deployed, the M4 is my primary with the M9 being the secondary. If I do have to transition to my secondary, things have gone tremendously wrong.

Prior to my last deployment, I trained for approximately 3 months before activation only with my M4 and M9. Upon returning home I trained exclusively with my Glock before carrying it so that I was completely re-familiarized with it in case it was needed.

If you have any other questions, please ask. I enjoy going over my reasoning again as re-evaluation is a very good thing.

I also want to say that I am not a "my way is the only way" guy. My way is "a way". That's why I love training with other instructors. You can learn something from anyone. I am, and always will be, a lifelong student.

S/F!

Doc Amentler

Stupendous_Man
04-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Love my glock, never even shot a barretta though. For me, it was always the glock. I love its toughness, reliability, and ease of care. I can field strip it with ridiculous ease, and I know it'll always be around. My one complaint is that it doesn't feel great in the hand when empty, because the plastic handle is just too light.

jermzzzzzzz
04-24-2011, 12:53 AM
Beretta 92FS is better then the Glock. PERIOD.

MacDime
04-24-2011, 1:17 AM
Glock 17 very easily customizable. Go with the glock you wont be sorry.

duc71
04-24-2011, 4:43 AM
both are good & reliable guns if you like metal you could try CZ 75B it's handle recoil good like 92fs, reliable, easy to take down you can buy with the cost of glock 17 at thebudsgunshop. I shoot glock 17 not well but I like & keep it. Jgo with the one you fell good just my 2cent

The Undertaker
04-24-2011, 5:25 AM
Hello all,

Thanks

This is coming from someone who owns an HK USP40 but has range experience with both Berettas and Glocks.

Both are great - and tested - weapons. In fact, those two particular models (92FS and 17) are probably THE most tested out of the bunch, in the form of service sidearms for both the US military and various police forces.

That being said, the 92FS is superior, in my opinion, in terms of ergonomics and handling. On top of that, it is a beautiful weapon.

Glock, on the hand, has ruggedness and reliability on its side. Additionally, the manufacturer backs up its products with a rock-solid support base. Accessories, parts, and services are widely available at acceptable prices. This is something that I in particular, as an HK owner, sorely wish for.

Go to a range that has rentals and try both (put at least 50 rounds through each) and make the final decision for yourself. Both are very solid choices, although I personally gravitate toward the Glock purely out of my utilitarian outlook toward weapons.

shooterdude
04-24-2011, 8:04 AM
This is coming from someone who owns an HK USP40 but has range experience with both Berettas and Glocks.

Both are great - and tested - weapons. In fact, those two particular models (92FS and 17) are probably THE most tested out of the bunch, in the form of service sidearms for both the US military and various police forces.

That being said, the 92FS is superior, in my opinion, in terms of ergonomics and handling. On top of that, it is a beautiful weapon.

Glock, on the hand, has ruggedness and reliability on its side. Additionally, the manufacturer backs up its products with a rock-solid support base. Accessories, parts, and services are widely available at acceptable prices. This is something that I in particular, as an HK owner, sorely wish for.

Go to a range that has rentals and try both (put at least 50 rounds through each) and make the final decision for yourself. Both are very solid choices, although I personally gravitate toward the Glock purely out of my utilitarian outlook toward weapons.

The same can be said for Beretta.

j1133s
04-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Hello all,

Thanks

Both are fine pistols and last a long time. The Glock is less maintenance and parts are slightly cheaper than the beretta (although beretta parts are very cheap too since it is really popular... just that Glock seems even cheaper for some reason). The Beretta is going to be way easier to shoot well quickly (if this is your first time shooting pistols).

SpectreZ91
05-02-2011, 9:57 PM
I'm new to the handgun scene.. Still in my 10 day waiting period for mine..

I had shot a few 92FS's and loved em. I went to the local gun store to order it.. I did want to feel other guns so I held a few.. The glock didn't fit my hand very well. I just didn't like it. I did end up getting the M9A1. All that being said I did put a springfield XD 9mm in my hand.. I think as a 2nd weapon I may pick that up.. (Have to go to a range and test it)

I guess the best advice I can give has been said a bunch of times.. Go out and shoot them both.. buy what you like the best..

(Side note) Kind of weird being on a site where people aren't jamming their favorites down other peoples throat and just giving them some informed advice.. Sure we all have bias twards something, but trying to help novices is pretty cool.

bohoki
05-02-2011, 10:13 PM
after shooting a friends 92fs i ended up with these
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/bohoki/DCP_7466.jpg

MacDime
05-02-2011, 10:15 PM
GLOCK 17 for sure

bsg
05-02-2011, 10:17 PM
my vote would go to the G17.

Bart1
05-03-2011, 2:22 PM
G17 RTF2.

Arnelcheeze
05-03-2011, 3:41 PM
shoot them and pick.

tacticalcity
05-03-2011, 3:44 PM
This one just isn't even debatable. Not if you actually plan shoot them. One looks really pretty. One is a work horse that has the a simple design that does not get in way during a firefight.

Glock 17 all the way.

12voltguy
05-03-2011, 3:44 PM
Hello all,

Thanks

2 completly different guns
I say buy both, I did, but for 1st gun, go shoot some at a local place that rents them,you may find some other brand you like better.... some hate the glock, I love the glock, I have small hands so the 92 is big to my grip, but I still had to have one,lol

jermzzzzzzz
05-03-2011, 4:32 PM
Try both, I've used the Beretta downrange and never had any problems with it. Don't be afraid of DA/SA!

MongooseV8
05-03-2011, 7:12 PM
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 in 9mm
But theres no stopping a Glock

USMC 82-86
05-03-2011, 7:33 PM
Looks : Beretta
Feel in my hand : Beretta
Use at range : Glock 17,19 gave me better results. I had two FTF with the Beretta none with the Glock. I was more accurate with the Glock.
Price: Glock
Parts and customer service: Glock
Ease of use under stress: Glock
Shooting with one hand: Glock

One note both guns were rentals this may be part of the reason the Beretta had the 2 FTF's. But wait the Glock was a rental as well. Just as dirty but kept running. I shoot the Glock better than I did my Sig and that is some nice shooting. One hand shooting was not even a contest. Sure we can manage good shots with one hand when taking our time. Try it in a timed test.

nevil
05-04-2011, 6:31 PM
I would go with the G17. I just shot my moms 92fs and like my Glock way better. By the way I used to own a 92fs. Also the Glocks are at least 100$ cheaper. Their is a reason why most cops now carry Glocks where 10 to 20 years ago they were Berettas.

Bongos
05-04-2011, 6:35 PM
Beretta makes great guns. Glock, too. I agree with Dmacintyre - there's everything for Glocks. And they always go "bang" when you pull the trigger.

Always.

so does the beretta, no chance of failure and visible safety.. for a first timer, get the 92FS

giants_fan24
05-04-2011, 6:36 PM
I had both of them at one time, I got rid of one. Go with the Glock 17 I did and I'm very happy I did because the beretta was just collecting dust.