PDA

View Full Version : Vertical grip on .22 rifles

parts kit
04-21-2011, 12:34 AM
hey guys, pretty new here i was just wondering if it was ok to have a vg on my S&W MP 15-22. thanks

ke6guj
04-21-2011, 12:36 AM
consult the flowchart, http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

bjl333
04-21-2011, 12:40 AM
Welcome to Calguns !!! enjoy your S & W ..

hefedehefe
07-04-2011, 12:24 AM
consult the flowchart, http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Is the a .22 flow chart available? I am thinking about getting a gsg 522 pk pistol and want to make sure I can follow all the rules. They have a ton of cool accessories :)

Merc1138
07-04-2011, 1:23 AM
Is the a .22 flow chart available? I am thinking about getting a gsg 522 pk pistol and want to make sure I can follow all the rules. They have a ton of cool accessories :)

There's no flowchart because for .22lr, it's not as much of a confusing mess. For a long gun in .22lr, do whatever you want. If it's a pistol, follow the pistol AW laws(since they don't exempt rimfire when it comes to pistols).

hefedehefe
07-04-2011, 1:57 AM
So would that mean that you can get rid of the extra long barrel/fake can of the rifle version? So no forward hand grip on the pistol?

Merc1138
07-04-2011, 2:53 AM
So would that mean that you can get rid of the extra long barrel/fake can of the rifle version? So no forward hand grip on the pistol?

As long as it still has a 16" barrel and is longer than 26" total, yes on the rifle version.

The pistol version still needs a mag lock anyway because the magazine isn't in the grip. You need to read the handgun AW flowchart, it's different than the rifle version. http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf

Chaos47
07-04-2011, 4:30 AM
Its not all about CA Configuration, you still have to follow Federal Laws too.
A vertical grip or a butt stock on a pistol turns it into an AOW (Any Other Weapon). In other states you could buy the tax stamp to do that legally but you can't get one in CA...

Same goes as Merc said about the lengths that's Federal Law as well as state otherwise it would be considered a SBR (Short Barrel Rifle) again tax stamp-able but not here

donw
07-04-2011, 9:04 AM
There's no flowchart because for .22lr, it's not as much of a confusing mess. For a long gun in .22lr, do whatever you want. If it's a pistol, follow the pistol AW laws(since they don't exempt rimfire when it comes to pistols).

no silencers/moderators/night vision scopes, barrels less than 16" and overall length must be over 32" (?)

probably a few more "No-No's" too, but i can't recall them at the moment...

Chaos47
07-04-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm 99% sure night vision is not regulated... Maybe there's a law that it isn't legal to hunt with one or something.

The other thing are federal laws like I stated in my post so no without a tax stamp you can't do that on any rifle or pistol (rimfire or centerfire). And its impossible to get tax stamps in CA

Merc1138
07-04-2011, 11:15 AM
no silencers/moderators/night vision scopes, barrels less than 16" and overall length must be over 32" (?)

probably a few more "No-No's" too, but i can't recall them at the moment...

Uhh... what? Silencers and nightvision(no idea what a moderator is) are regulated under separate laws, not the AW laws. I also have no idea where you're getting this 32" length from either. The AW laws for rifles require centerfire semiauto rifles to be over 30" in length. Because rimfire is not centerfire, you are only required to meet the 26" minimum length per federal law and the CA state law that mirrors it.

Additionally, nightvision itself is not regulated except in regards to hunting(there are separate DFG regs that cover this) or one category of nightvision that meets CA's dated "sniper scope" that only bans nightvision scope technology from the late 40's.

I have no idea where you pulled that 32" overall length number from.

Before you go trying to think of more "no-no"s please go read the flowcharts and PC before you end up spreading FUD.

Chaos47
07-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Moderators is just another word for silencer... popularly used in Europe not so much over here

crazy russian
07-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Because rimfire is not centerfire, you are only required to meet the 26" minimum length per federal law and the CA state law that mirrors it.

When I picked up that tacticool stock for a Ruger 10/22 at the gunshow, the guy said that that folding stock laws do not apply to rimfire rifles. That was not entirely correct, as the 26" min. rule applies to all rifles (lesson learned - do not believe what a vendor at the gun show tells you - consult the chart).

Anyway, later with hands shaking, I measured the length with the stock folded and it came to 26 1/4". I missed being a felon by 1/4" ..... :eek:

ke6guj
07-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Is the a .22 flow chart available? I am thinking about getting a gsg 522 pk pistol and want to make sure I can follow all the rules. They have a ton of cool accessories :)the rifle AW chart covers all rifle types, including .22s. So does the handgun AW chart.

there is a flowchart for .22lr rifles, it is covered in the rifle AW chart. same for .22lr pistols in the pistol AW chart.

Merc1138
07-04-2011, 11:42 AM
the rifle AW chart covers all rifle types, including .22s. So does the handgun AW chart.

there is a flowchart for .22lr rifles, it is covered in the rifle AW chart. same for .22lr pistols in the pistol AW chart.

Ok, it's the interactive flowchart that wasn't updated, seems it's in question #6 on the PDF.

ke6guj
07-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Ok, it's the interactive flowchart that wasn't updated, seems it's in question #6 on the PDF.

correct, we updated the PDF version of the flowchart a couple months ago. I dont even know why the interactive version exists.

Merc1138
07-04-2011, 11:59 AM
correct, we updated the PDF version of the flowchart a couple months ago. I dont even know why the interactive version exists.

For people who can only handle one yes/no question on the screen at a time? Heh.

resident-shooter
07-04-2011, 2:45 PM
Rimfire rifles are exempt from the awb

ke6guj
07-04-2011, 3:26 PM
Rimfire rifles are exempt from the awb

rimfire rifles are exempt from some of the AWB.

MrPlink
07-05-2011, 3:42 AM
A vertical grip or a butt stock on a pistol turns it into an AOW (Any Other Weapon).

not exactly

a vertical grip alone on a pistol would trigger AOW.
the butt stock triggers SBR (assuming you dont also extend the barrel length and over all length to meet legal minimums)