PDA

View Full Version : Beginner 10/22 iron sights question

ShabbyChef
04-20-2011, 10:59 PM
I've just been to the range with a new ruger 10/22 with the standard leaf sights. The manual is for crap in terms of guidance in how to use these, so I'm going to ask the obvious question, how do I?

From what I can glean from the manual, I'm to line up the target, the front sight point, and the diamond all in a row vertically in order to minimize left/right drift.

The instructions say to put the front sight centered in bottom of rear sight slide, but nowhere in the manual do they define what part of the rear sight is the "slide". Does it mean to center it in the lower semi circle? Does that mean to align the top of the front sight to the flat top of the semi circle?

The attached diagram is my attempt at understanding this.

http://bit.ly/ewWAFv

Any guidance would be appreciated. I've made a commitment to work hard on learning to shoot accurately with the open sights before jumping to any additional equipment, so please don't tell me to go buy a scope. :)

-S

FUBAR
04-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Sight alignment looks good. Just place that front sight on the target so it basically covers it.

asme
04-20-2011, 11:30 PM
I futzed with the standard sights for about a week, and then then a ray of light shone through my window and in an angelic voice told me to go to http://www.tech-sights.com/ and buy the TSR-100.

And it was good.

Namaste.

rojocorsa
04-20-2011, 11:39 PM
Damn, that sight looks more complicated than it should be. In this case I would probably go with the techsights for sure.

Hell, I'm thinking about putting some on my CZ even...

1puttkehr
04-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Center up the bead on the bottom of the nead and you should be fine. Used mine for years, iron sights, squrrels and rabits at 100 yards, no problem.

hefedehefe
04-20-2011, 11:49 PM
I'm going to check tomorrow :D

asme
04-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Damn, that sight looks more complicated than it should be. In this case I would probably go with the techsights for sure.

Hell, I'm thinking about putting some on my CZ even...

I actually don't like them too much on the CZs, they're too high unless you shell out for a cheek riser.

10-22
04-21-2011, 12:36 AM
I've been using the stock sights for 38 years (I mostly shoot offhand) and I have always gotten good results but I don't do paper targets, I try to shoot moving targets (a beer can rolling down a hill is a great offhand target).

I doubt I'll ever use anything but the stock iron sights.

Kryptyde
04-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Personally I'm cross-dominant (left eyed and right handed) and cant it a bloody thing with iron sights.

I just put scopes on everything.

ShabbyChef
04-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Fubar (and everyone),

just so I'm clear, I think the manual is implying that I should align the sights this way, where the front pin goes below the actual target: http://bit.ly/ewWAFv

You seem to imply that I should be doing it this way, where the front pin is on the target, like this: http://bit.ly/e21dJU

Is either right? Or does it not really matter, because as long as I do it consistently, along with learning to zero my sights as described in the message below, I'll be fine?

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-132395.html

Also, one posted mentioned the "nead". What's the nead?

-S

rojocorsa
04-21-2011, 11:51 AM
I actually don't like them too much on the CZs, they're too high unless you shell out for a cheek riser.

Mine has that curved stock though. Would that make a difference?

ojisan
04-21-2011, 12:09 PM
The front bead should be aligned so it appears to be in the notch in the rear sight.
Both the front and rear sights can be drifted sideways to adjust for a center hit.

The rear blade can be moved up and down to correct elevation.

There are two philosophies as to sight picture / Point Of Impact...some like the sights to cover the target ( "12 o'clock hold" ), some like the target to sit just above the sights ( "6 o'clock hold").

Rust
04-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Your first image has the correct sight alignment for the sights themselves. Where on the target you hold them is a matter of personal preference. When I was first learning to shoot I used sights set up like the first image where the target would be above the sight picture. Many people prefer that style since aiming at the lowest portion of the target rings will give you a more precise aiming point. Now I've personally gone to aiming at the center of the target (I generally shoot rifles with peep sights so its a little different sight picture) But you still would want the sights to be aligned the way they are in the first picture you posted. Just raised so that the bead would be on the center of the bullseye. Pick what ever feels most comfortable to you and then adjust the sights so that the bullets point of impact is the same as your point of aim. Remember that you want your vision focused on your sights rather than on your target which might impact how you chose to set them up.