PDA

View Full Version : Out of State Family Transfer

M.C.
04-20-2011, 9:00 PM
So I am aware of the intrafamilial exception for FFL paperwork and transfer. My question is this... If my parents live in another state, does the exception still apply?

I have tried the search function. But it did not turn up any results...

Mssr. Eleganté
04-20-2011, 9:12 PM
So I am aware of the intrafamilial exception for FFL paperwork and transfer. My question is this... If my parents live in another state, does the exception still apply?

No, it does not still apply. The intrafamilial exemption is only an exemption to California's dealer transfer requirements. If both parties are not residents of California then you run into the Federal requirement that transfers between residents of two different States must be processed through an FFL.

jtmkinsd
04-20-2011, 11:13 PM
They can buy, and transfer through a CA FFL, all the off-list handguns you would like to own though. Search is your friend. :D

Onlyincali
04-20-2011, 11:39 PM
Would they have to be present? Or can they send them to Ca?

ArmedDefense
04-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Anyone know the basic documents that are needed for the FFL transfer?

Mssr. Eleganté
04-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Would they have to be present? Or can they send them to Ca?

They can ship the firearm to the California FFL. If they are shipping off-Roster handguns then you need to make sure the California FFL understands that handguns coming from your parent, grandparent, child or grandchild are exempt from the Roster. Not many FFLs know about this exemption. The FFL will probably require that your out of state family member include a letter explaining that the handgun is a gift.