PDA

View Full Version : Basic cleaning kit for a revolver?

Bud11
04-20-2011, 9:45 PM
What do you guys have as your basic cleaning kit for your revolver? Have seen some online, but they don't seem to have the tools and also the cleaner and lubricant. Thanks. Bud

9mmepiphany
04-20-2011, 10:40 PM
I clean the barrel with a Bore Snake so that I can clean from the chamber end. I had a short aluminum cleaning rod with a stainless steel brush to clean the chambers and an old toothbrush to get under the ejector star and inside the cylinder window. Shop rags work really well for everything.

I used to use Hoppe's #9 and transitioned to 97% isopropyl alcohol. I usually wipe down the outside with some Breakfree CLP (because I still have a large bottle).

What tools are you referring to?

Bud11
04-21-2011, 4:49 AM
Guess I meant rods, brushes, pads, etc. Bud

9mmepiphany
04-21-2011, 8:17 AM
Q-tips are also good for getting in tight spots and I'll also use a dental probe w/patch for really hard to reach areas.

The best patches I've found are old (to remove all lint) t-shirt material

gorenut
04-21-2011, 8:36 AM
I've currently switched to Otis cleaning kits for revolvers. Comes with all the tools that'll let you clean all the chambers of cylinders easily and would also let you clean from the breach to muzzle.

mlevans66
04-21-2011, 8:58 AM
Otis cleaning kit and MAAS to polish the carbon build up on the cylinder.

gorenut
04-21-2011, 9:15 AM
Birchwood Casey Lead Removing Cloth also works wonders. Just don't use it on blued guns.