PDA

View Full Version : Gun Buy Backs

Ding126
04-20-2011, 9:42 PM
Another thread about " Buy Backs " got me thinking. Are most gunnies against this event? Why?

I see buy backs as a way to take junk guns off the street, Allows elder people who may have had a pistol and no longer feel the need or a parent who finds their kid with a gun and don't know what to do with it without incriminating their child.

Are buy backs such a bad thing? Would calguns and their members help shed a positive light for supporting and assisting in these programs? Would that help change the attitude of some?

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.....or flame on.

ElvenSoul
04-20-2011, 9:55 PM
I just smile and think of the Britts, Ausies, and Canadians who spent Trillions trying to take guns off their streets. Gun control has worked real good over in those countries.

swilson
04-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Generally these events are advertised as a way to keep streets safer by simply removing guns from a community. Gunowners will disagree with the notion that less guns equal less crime. Although it depends on how much the buyback is, because I've heard different buybacks offering different values per trade-in, many gunowners think the buybacks don't offer a fair value for firearms brought in. Also some people bring in antique pieces of history to be destroyed for a McDonalds gift card, which makes collectors and history buffs cringe.

Here in San Diego I remember a recent buyback on the news where they ran out of gift cards and some fools just left their guns with the buyback program for free. One in particular I remember an older woman dropped off two antique over and under shotguns and said she felt better making the community safer, which goes back to the first point about dishonesty. Not to mention the fact that although criminals and gang menbers might like gift cards, they aren't going to disarm themselves for them.

I'm against the dishonesty that concludes firearms will end up being used in crimes and that communities are safer without them. As far as fair value goes I think it sucks but if you won't take one minute to research the true value of something, you are an idiot and have no excuse for being ripped off.

BayAreaShooter
04-20-2011, 10:10 PM
I just hate to see very valuable antique firearms get turned over for chump change presented in a gift card and then those antiques get destroyed. I'm not saying all the guns that get turned in are worth a lot but many are.

Don29palms
04-20-2011, 10:15 PM
One in particular I remember an older woman dropped off two antique over and under shotguns and said she felt better making the community safer, which goes back to the first point about dishonesty. Not to mention the fact that although criminals and gang menbers might like gift cards, they aren't going to disarm themselves for them.

Yeah and everybody was in such danger. That old woman might have just freaked out and shot up the town with those evil guns.

This is really just a way for criminals to get rid of evidence without being questioned.

What would happen to me if I sold a handgun in California without going through an FFL?

bjl333
04-20-2011, 10:17 PM
If I could find a few $10 guns I'll go turn them in !!! :43::43:

Bhobbs
04-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Not only what is posted above but also they don't test any of the firearms so who knows how many crime guns were destroyed no questions asked.

scarville
04-20-2011, 10:30 PM
I knew a women -- she is dead now -- who wanted to turn in her late husband's old handgun in a buyback. Fortunately she asked me about it because the useless revolver was an 1861 Colt Navy 36 in good condition -- she even had a factory letter from Colt. I directed her to an FFL whom I knew did auctions for a percentage. I don't remember the exact price it sold for but she got a lot more than a $50 gift certificate.

I am against the buybacks because they are dishonest. Sure, a percentage of the guns are worthless junk and only few will be worth more than a few hundred dollars. However, the buybackers are not even attempting to offer a fair value. The people running these so-called "buybacks" are no better than con men. They are treating people like marks and that is wrong.

Blackhawk556
04-20-2011, 11:00 PM
My dads old 22 is broken and not worth fixing. You can't even put the slide all the way back anymore. I'll turn that in and buy some mags for my m&p if I could.

markw
04-20-2011, 11:18 PM
They're a good place to find a nice antique firearm for cheap. Buy back promoters don't like it, but hey, standing across the street with a big sign saying you'll pay double what the buy back will pay could net you a nice Garand or as in pullnshoot's case a nice antique shotgun.

N6ATF
04-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Murderers, rapists, armed robbers, etc... can get their evidence destroyed and get out of jail free cards.

bjl333
04-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Murderers, rapists, armed robbers, etc... can get their evidence destroyed and get out of jail free cards.

^^^ This ^^^

tileguy
04-21-2011, 10:06 AM
even if i had a broken firearm it would make me sick to my stomach to take it to a buyback and have it melted down when it can be used for parts by someone. a lot of the so called junk guns are not made anymore and parts are hard to find, so if i could help someone i would rather do that than see it melted down.

qwer
04-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Not only what is posted above but also they don't test any of the firearms so who knows how many crime guns were destroyed no questions asked.

But look on the bright side, it's all done with taxpayer money. :)

jamespres2001
04-21-2011, 10:54 AM
P.R. P.R. P.R.

durkweed
04-21-2011, 12:04 PM
My 2c, but what about setting up a booth at these events to appraise the value of the guns for free before they're turned in?

Could also take it a step further and offering to broker a sale for them here on Calguns and donating a percentage of the proceeds to Calguns.

45DAVID1
04-21-2011, 12:15 PM

And where are you getting this info from?

mcsoupman
04-21-2011, 12:24 PM
They're a good place to find a nice antique firearm for cheap. Buy back promoters don't like it, but hey, standing across the street with a big sign saying you'll pay double what the buy back will pay could net you a nice Garand or as in pullnshoot's case a nice antique shotgun.

This!

johnthomas
04-21-2011, 12:43 PM
My dads old 22 is broken and not worth fixing. You can't even put the slide all the way back anymore. I'll turn that in and buy some mags for my m&p if I could.

Maybe there are parts on that broken 22 that will make another broken old 22 work. I don't think of old guns as junk, more like gun parts others are looking for.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/WeBuyParts.aspx
http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Category/1131/3/Non-Guns/Gun-Parts.htm

clcolin81
04-21-2011, 12:55 PM
I can't imagine such a thing as a "junk gun". If anyone has such a thing, I'll trade you a giftcard to the olive garden my company just gave me! :D

clcolin81
04-21-2011, 12:56 PM
My 2c, but what about setting up a booth at these events to appraise the value of the guns for free before they're turned in?

Could also take it a step further and offering to broker a sale for them here on Calguns and donating a percentage of the proceeds to Calguns.

I like this idea.

Wernher von Browning
04-21-2011, 1:39 PM
I like this idea.

Me too.

It might take a dedicated FFL1 to do this. Is there any reason why an FFL1 couldn't run a lemonade-stand operation like this? If guns can't be taken in right on site, at the very least, offer appraisals, a written offer, and instructions on how to bring it into the shop to finalize the deal?

I suspect that an ordinary citizen can just go there, hang around, and if an interesting C&R long gun comes along, step in and offer a better price before it's too late. Have prepared bill of sale forms ready, be prepared to ask seller for ID and photograph that.

I suspect that even so, one would see a lot of uninteresting junk go by. If even one good collectible gets diverted for a day's worth of standing around, though, it will have paid off.

sbjmg
04-21-2011, 2:32 PM
Anyone know when the next one is in San Diego, Orange County or Los Angeles? I have some junk to unload.

sbjmg
04-21-2011, 2:42 PM
Looks like the next one is May 7th in LA

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/04/19/turn-in-firearms-with-the-citys-anonymous-gun-buyback-program/

I wish it was a little closer.

Bhobbs
04-21-2011, 5:01 PM
And where are you getting this info from?

Looks like the next one is May 7th in LA

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/04/19/turn-in-firearms-with-the-citys-anonymous-gun-buyback-program/

I wish it was a little closer.

The article says anonymous, no questions asked. It doesn't do a lot of good to test guns if you don't know who turned them in.

swilson
04-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Anyone know when the next one is in San Diego, Orange County or Los Angeles? I have some junk to unload.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. PM me what you want to get rid of, I might be intrested.

jokat989
04-21-2011, 11:00 PM
i love how the government wants to reduce crime, yet offers to buy and destroy guns from anyone no questions asked. i wonder how many murder weapons the government has destroyed?

bden
04-22-2011, 10:04 AM
CONFESSION: I didn't know or even much care about gun rights until about 5 years ago. :eek: I blindly trusted the media reports, and couldn't fathom why anybody would want or should even be able to have high power military weapons, high capacity clips, or shoulder things that go up. :43: Then one night while on a long drive to Fresno I put on a new podcast called "The Gun Rights Advocates Podcast" and listened to an unpolished, but very genuine hour or so long report of a guy who protested a gun buyback.

At first I was thinking this guy's a country bumpkin nut - what a stupid way to spend an afternoon, but as he described his reasons for protesting the buyback it began to sink in just how ineffective, unfair, and even harmful these events are. I'd like to share the podcast with you, but could not find it in the archives just yet. I sent an email to the podcaster though, and will post a link when I get a reply.

The previous posters probably hit many of the reasons, but for me the tagline for all of Mark's podcasts (as seen in my signature) sums it up better than anything..."It's not about guns, it's about freedom."

bden
04-26-2011, 2:25 PM
As promised...

http://podcast.gunrights.us/2006/06/09/gun-buybacks-part-1-episode-006/]

http://podcast.gunrights.us/2006/06/17/gun-buybacks-part-2-episode-007/

Uxi
04-26-2011, 2:34 PM

Great idea. I'm going to use that next time. :)

stix213
04-26-2011, 2:41 PM
The media will mention the number of guns "taken off the streets" from these buy backs, when in fact most of them were not on the streets to begin with.

This is a way to generally get poor people to give up their right to self defense for a $50 Walmart gift card.

BlindRacer
04-26-2011, 4:32 PM
1 - Crime guns destroyed, no questions asked
2 - "guns off the streets", really means guns that have been sitting in a closet for 30 odd years
3 - Antiques Destroyed (missed city revenue opportunity at least)
4 - Most all guns will sell for more than $50. RIP OFF.
5 - Paid for by the tax payers without their consent.