PDA

View Full Version : Action needed? Ask KCBS LA why they are sponsoring a gun buyback

curtisfong
04-20-2011, 6:45 PM
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/04/19/turn-in-firearms-with-the-citys-anonymous-gun-buyback-program/

Yet again, KCBS LA is participating in political activism. Contact them and ask why.

http://cbsla.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/gun-buyback.jpg

Goosebrown
04-20-2011, 6:49 PM
Sounds like a good opportunity to stand around and offer more money to them if they sell to you. They are already going to in effect, sell for a pittance, might as well offer more money if anything is worth it.

sfpcservice
04-20-2011, 7:02 PM
Anonymous destruction of evidence......

Librarian
04-20-2011, 7:08 PM
Sounds like a good opportunity to stand around and offer more money to them if they sell to you. They are already going to in effect, sell for a pittance, might as well offer more money if anything is worth it.

Might work someplace else, but in CA the transfers have to occur through an FFL - folks who would participate in these events are not generally willing to drive a couple miles to do paperwork.

Ubermcoupe
04-20-2011, 7:21 PM
Not to mention some (not all) of the likely "questionable" history of these weapons.

rorschach
04-20-2011, 7:56 PM
Not to mention some (not all) of the likely "questionable" history of these weapons.

I doubt that many of the guns turned in are stolen or were used in the commission of crimes. From what I've seen, it seems like most of the stuff collected are ancient revolvers, shotguns, and bolt action rifles turned in by old widows who can finally get them out of the house now that their husbands are dead. Occassionaly someone will turn in an AK, AR, or semi-auto pistol, and these weapons are what they'll parade around for the news cameras.

CitaDeL
04-20-2011, 8:14 PM
I doubt that many of the guns turned in are stolen or were used in the commission of crimes. From what I've seen, it seems like most of the stuff collected are ancient revolvers, shotguns, and bolt action rifles turned in by old widows who can finally get them out of the house now that their husbands are dead. Occassionaly someone will turn in an AK, AR, or semi-auto pistol, and these weapons are what they'll parade around for the news cameras.

If you don't check, how could anyone possibly know whether a gun was used in a crime? How can stolen firearms be returned to the proper owner?

And if these are heirlooms which the heirs do not want, what is keeping them from donating the functional firearms to organizations that support the shooting sports?

And if there are desirable firearms among the garbage, why shouldnt there be a recovery task force comprised of Calgunners and FFL's to keep them from being destroyed and offer fair market value to the owners?

scarville
04-20-2011, 8:16 PM
Might work someplace else, but in CA the transfers have to occur through an FFL - folks who would participate in these events are not generally willing to drive a couple miles to do paperwork.
Are the tranfers to the people running the "buyback" (An Orwellian term if there ever was one) done through an FFL? Is there a gun "buyback" loophole they are taking advantage of?

N6ATF
04-20-2011, 8:22 PM
Looks like John Galt just posted an expose on these criminal safety supporters in the comments.

taperxz
04-20-2011, 8:23 PM
Not only should the pressure be put on the station, but what about VISA and Raleys?? Even though they may not even know what the gift cards are being used for. Maybe they should find out though.

creekside
04-20-2011, 8:37 PM
Has anyone ever had a stolen firearm returned to them as a result of a buyback?

Yes, I do mean ever.

SAR_boats
04-20-2011, 8:47 PM
Don't dissuade them! I have a Davis .380 with a cracked chamber I wanna get cash for! :)

Caladain
04-20-2011, 8:52 PM
this might be a stupid question: Do we have a very gunny friendly ffl who'd be willing to be there to do the swarm of ppt transfers? Is that legal, or is the ffl tied to doing stuff at his glass-front business?

Don29palms
04-20-2011, 9:08 PM
How can someone transfer ownership of a firearm in California anonymously? I thought that selling a firearm without going through an FFL is a felony? So CBS2 and KCAL9 are conspiring with the City of Los Angeles to commit mutiple felonies?

N6ATF
04-20-2011, 9:11 PM
Evidence tampering & destruction, accomplice after the fact to murders, rapes, armed robberies, etc...

Helpful_Cub
04-20-2011, 9:13 PM
Remember to always double check your map. Only 2 of the locations are safely out of School Zones without any question marks.

Central LA
1700 stadium way
to the corner of Castelar Street Elementary School
darn close to 1000 ft, may be a touch less

West LA
5951 Hollywood Blvd
is ~600 feet from Montessori Shir-Hashirim school

Valley
11165 Sepulveda Blvd
darn close to 1000 ft, may be a touch less from Danube Avenue Elementary School

South LA
3900 W. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
darn close 1000 ft from Coliseum Street Elementary School

South LA
7900 South Western Ave.
Safe, nearest school is 2000 ft away

South LA
1300 West Pacific Coast Highway
Safe, nearest school is 1500 ft away

taperxz
04-20-2011, 9:13 PM
How can someone transfer ownership of a firearm in California anonymously? I thought that selling a firearm without going through an FFL is a felony? So CBS2 and KCAL9 are conspiring with the City of Los Angeles to commit mutiple felonies?

I hear what you are saying but LE is exempt from that transfer law.

taperxz
04-20-2011, 9:15 PM
Remember to always double check your map. Only 2 of the locations are safely out of School Zones without any question marks.

Central LA
1700 stadium way

West LA
5951 Hollywood Blvd

Valley
11165 Sepulveda Blvd

South LA

South LA
7900 South Western Ave.

South LA

LOL!! It would be wise to let the station and the police know so that no innocent old ladies get arrested for the GFSZ laws.

Don29palms
04-20-2011, 9:19 PM

So I can sell a handgun to a cop without using an FFL or even giving my name?

timdps
04-20-2011, 9:21 PM

Long guns over 50 years old can transfer in CA FTF without an FFL, so you want to be looking for those old Mausers, Garands, Enfields etc.

Tim

Librarian
04-20-2011, 9:22 PM

Yes, someone has looked it up - might even have been me, once - and the give-to-police thing is legal. I can't find it just now.

taperxz
04-20-2011, 9:23 PM
So I can sell a handgun to a cop without using an FFL or even giving my name?

They are a law enforcement agency not a "cop". A cop can, with written permission from his superiors, can also get a firearm with out waiting the 10 day cooling off period.

Bruce
04-20-2011, 9:28 PM
Don't dissuade them! I have a Davis .380 with a cracked chamber I wanna get cash for! :)

How much are their gift cards???

SAR_boats
04-20-2011, 9:42 PM
How much are their gift cards???

Supposedly $200.

Blackhawk556
04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
$200!!! I'll turn in an old gun that's collecting rust and broke And use the funds to buy a sr9c.

Theseus
04-20-2011, 10:39 PM

Central LA
1700 stadium way

West LA
5951 Hollywood Blvd

Valley
11165 Sepulveda Blvd

South LA

South LA
7900 South Western Ave.

South LA

They don't care. Only time they care is when they want to push their political agenda against open carry.

I always wonder though, why discretionary enforcement isn't an equal protection thing. Their unloaded handguns are safe in a school zone, but mine aren't.

Kavey
04-21-2011, 2:51 PM
Perhaps some of you with more detailed knowledge of California's Byzantine gun laws can satisfy my curiosity concerning one aspect of this so-called "gun buyback" nonsense.

Whenever law enforcement confiscates a firearm, are they required to check to see if the firearm in question is stolen? Also, whenever law enforcement comes into possession of a firearm that they know is stolen, and they know from whom it was taken, are they required to make a "good faith effort" to return the firearm to its original owner before selling or destroying it?

If the answers to my questions above are yes, then wouldn't any organization sponsoring one of these co-called "gun buybacks" be obligated, under the law, to surrender all firearms collected to law enforcement for the purpose of returning stolen ones to original owners whenever possible?

Again, if the answers to my questions are yes, and the sponsoring organizations (including participating law enforcement agencies) are refusing to comply with these laws, could an injunction or some other legal device be sought in order to force compliance?

And, has anyone "ever" had a stolen firearm returned to them via one of these buybacks?

Quinc
04-21-2011, 3:14 PM
Supposedly $200.

And Mosins are on sale right now for 69.99$! Sounds like someone could make a pretty decent profit. :43:

voiceofreason
04-21-2011, 3:16 PM
cender@cbs.com phil.gonzales@cbs.com mallory.mason@cbs.com jeff.woodward@cbs.com rwinsor@cbs.com demarcus@cbs.com rouhi.taylor@cbs.com kcbstvpublicaffairs@cbs.com kcbstvnews@cbs.com kcalnews@cbs.com

a compiled list of CBS emails for relevant people

voiceofreason
04-21-2011, 3:16 PM
my letter to CBS:

RE: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/04/19/turn-in-firearms-with-the-citys-anonymous-gun-buyback-program/

Why is your station a "Proud Sponsor" of this?

Criminals bring in guns used in crimes and get a gift card worth up to $200 to have the LAPD destroy the evidence for them as they walk away?
Isn't this evidence tampering? Or destruction of evidence?

Does this make your station a willing accomplice after the fact to any crimes committed by these guns?

If the guns aren't used in crimes, but are old and non-functional, then how is this supposed to deter crime?

Why aren't the serial numbers on these guns checked? If they were stolen and belonged to someone legally, why aren't they being returned to their rightful owner?

Isn't it illegal to transfer guns without some kind of record of the transaction?

Is KCBS & KCAL basically receiving stolen property (and paying for it with gift cards)? Whether it's being turned over to LAPD or not, it's still being received.

Why isn't the LAPD checking the guns to find their owners?

I do not know who's idea this was for KCBS & KCAL to be "Proud Sponsors" of this shameful fiasco.

If you have any questions or comments, I may be contacted at this email address.

Paper Boy
04-21-2011, 3:23 PM
Is it stated somewhere that the SN's are not checked? I thought they were?

EDIT see below

"Intact serial numbers were taken down to find out if stolen guns could be reunited with proper owners, although because the program promised anonymity they did not track who turned in which guns."

http://lapd.com/news/headlines/thousands_take_part_in_la_gun_buyback/index.html

dwtt
04-21-2011, 4:38 PM
my letter to CBS:

RE: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/04/19/turn-in-firearms-with-the-citys-anonymous-gun-buyback-program/

Why is your station a "Proud Sponsor" of this?

Criminals bring in guns used in crimes and get a gift card worth up to $200 to have the LAPD destroy the evidence for them as they walk away?
Isn't this evidence tampering? Or destruction of evidence obstructing justice?

Does this make your station a willing accomplice after the fact to any crimes committed by with these guns by criminals?

If the guns aren't used in crimes, but are old and non-functional, then how is this supposed to deter crime?

Why aren't the serial numbers on these guns checked? If they were stolen and belonged to someone legally, why aren't they being returned to their rightful owner?

Isn't it illegal to transfer guns without some kind of record of the transaction?

Is KCBS & KCAL basically receiving stolen property (and paying for it with gift cards)? Whether it's being turned over to LAPD or not, it's still being received.

Why isn't the LAPD checking the guns to find their owners determine if the guns are stolen or had been used in a crime?

I do not know who's idea this was for KCBS & KCAL to be "Proud Sponsors" of this shameful fiasco.

If you have any questions or comments, I may be contacted at this email address.
some editing that I hope is helpful.

loose_electron
04-21-2011, 5:36 PM
Let it go guys - both sides of this are freely participating individuals. As well, LAPD seems to be checking the serial numbers which is a good thing.

As painful as it is to see somebody hand in that nice 1911 that's been sittinn in grandads drawer for 40 years, there's not a lot that you can do.

One idea - A card to be handed to people turning in their guns: "Your gun may be easily sold for a higher price than you are getting here. Right around the corner at XYZ address is ABC Firearms, a federally licensed firearms dealer who can give you a quick cost offer on the gun, before you surrender it for disposal.

Please bring it by for an evaluation and cash in hand offer"

Noxx
04-21-2011, 5:45 PM
I'll happily give em a $50 Lorcin for a $200 grocery card.... but I'll be wearing a shirt that says "I will buy your old rifles" while I do it.

choprzrul
04-21-2011, 7:51 PM
Let me get this straight. Someone could show up with a a case of Mosin Nagant rifles and get $200 gift cards for each one?

Taking this one step further, would they give gift cards for bare receivers? And if so, contemplate firing this up to make receivers:

3H5EGr0gzdk

tenpercentfirearms
04-21-2011, 9:19 PM
It says, "Up to $200." They will have officers there that know what costs what. You will only get $50 for most of your junk guns.

Now, if someone goes and finds out they are giving $200 per AR15 receiver, let me know. I am pretty sure I can sign them out of my bound book as "surrendered to LAPD". Time to get rid of all of those post Obama panic overstocks.

Dreaded Claymore
04-21-2011, 9:21 PM
Yes, someone has looked it up - might even have been me, once - and the give-to-police thing is legal. I can't find it just now.

I was hoping you'd show up and answer that question. I had been thinking that it was in fact illegal but they were just choosing not to enforce it against themselves since, of course, they are the police.

frankm
04-21-2011, 9:49 PM
Great way to get rid of your murder weapons. Any chance of ballistics on your gun? Turn it in!

SanPedroShooter
04-22-2011, 5:36 AM
I believe there is verbage in the PC that allows for people to turn in firearms to LEA's with no FFL transfer. The willmington location is right down the street from my house. I am thinking of a way to exploit this opportunity.... Even if its just raising public awareness.

Hippo
04-22-2011, 7:02 AM
Couldn't some unscrupulous person "report" their gun stolen, turn it in, get a gift card and the gun back after LAPD runs the numbers? This system seems flawed.

Mute
04-22-2011, 7:40 AM
Even if the LAPD checks the serial numbers after the drop off, it doesn't change the fact that they've now paid someone for a stolen item. Even if the gun is returned to the rightful owner, a criminal was paid for stolen goods. Morons, the lot of them.

Pig Rifle
05-01-2011, 2:20 PM
The citizen disarmament festivals commonly known as "Gun Buybacks" are coming to the LA area again, at 6 locations around the city.

For those not familiar, these are events where usually LAPD or Sheriffs will set up stations throughout the city, and encourage people to come in and surrender firearms "no questions asked". The public is often enticed with gift cards ranging in value from $50 to $200, depending on the type of gun. And although the gift cards are sometimes donated by anti 2A businesses like Ralph's, Home Depot etc, I'm quite certain that the LEO manpower for these little shindigs is being financed by you and me and every other John Q Taxpayer.

So while forcing us to pay for coercive citizen disarmament is one thing, here's something else to consider..... John Q Criminal can now make a little more money off that "Gat" when he's done robbing/murdering with it! Yep, just take it on down to the po-po, and they'll destroy that evidence for him while paying him for the privelege! Don't forget, this is "no questions asked". Ah, only in California!

Below is a link to a page with more details on this event.
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/...yback-program/

ETA Quote-
Donít miss the Eye on Our Community special Sunday, May 1, at 6:30 p.m. with Laura Diaz as she looks at the Gun Buyback program and the organizations working to stop gun violence in Los Angeles.-Quote
Channel 2, CBS. Please do not shoot at your television. This could damage your set and void it's warranty.

gschoelles
05-01-2011, 4:26 PM
Should just put signs on our cars pointing to a local FFL and offer cash instead of gift cards. I can do 8 $50 guns and DROS, how about you?

N6ATF
05-01-2011, 5:20 PM
:dupe: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=423508

N6ATF
05-01-2011, 5:21 PM
bump

Pig Rifle
05-01-2011, 6:04 PM
:dupe: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=423508

Dang you're right. Sorry, I only checked the first coupla pages of threads. Mods, please delete with my apologies for laziness! :stupid:

Pig Rifle
05-01-2011, 6:35 PM
O.K. this is just too friggin' rich......
I just watched the 1/2 hour special about the gun buybacks on CBS' ch2. One of the organizations spewing anti-2A garbage on this program was an outfit called Soledad Enrichment Action. In their self-righteous bloveations of anti-gun indignation, they mention that they operate a charter school. This happens to be the very same charter school whose GFSZ will be violated this coming Saturday by the Florentine Gardens Gun Buyback location on Hollywood Blvd.

Oh, sweet irony!! :eek:

evil tyler durden
05-01-2011, 7:05 PM
Anyone up for OPEN CARRY at these locations? Show up in force people, let's hand out flyers and inform the population of their right for self defense and 2A rights.

Vlad 11
05-01-2011, 7:55 PM
I hate these things. Its only an outlet for crime guns. Or it preys on peoples ignorance where they surrender a firearm that is often worth many times what is received. Its also a slap in the face of the veterans who fought for this country when a valuable historical bringback collector piece finds its way into those piles.

IGovcSN07SU&feature=player_embedded

N6ATF
05-01-2011, 8:49 PM
If only these locations weren't in victim disarmament zones.

Pig Rifle
05-01-2011, 8:56 PM
If only these locations weren't in victim disarmament zones.

Only one of them is. The Hollywood Blvd location.

fred40
05-01-2011, 9:53 PM
Man, I wonder how many pre ww 1911s get turned in by old people.

Laser Sailor
05-01-2011, 9:54 PM
Can we legally intervene and offer cash for the guns at a nearby FFL? Don't you think that the LAPD and LASD would take action against that? The LAPD doesn't exactly have a sterling reputaion for restraint.

Yugo
05-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Can we legally intervene and offer cash for the guns at a nearby FFL? Don't you think that the LAPD and LASD would take action against that? The LAPD doesn't exactly have a sterling reputaion for restraint.

I would also like to know. I would go down there and try to buy some. and would help hold some signs what ever I can do to help the 2a fight.

Fufodog
05-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Laura Diaz' did a hit piece on gun owners last night on Channel 2. A more biased report I've never seen.