View Full Version : Yet another Colt M4 Ops 22lr review Part 2

04-20-2011, 6:39 PM
Update finally on my ATI return LOL. Finally the customer service of Turners found out that my guns been gone for months. The VP called ATI and they both said sorry, we got your rifle, it's not fixed yet so we're sending you a brand new Varmint Killer rifle with the new quad rails and we'll throw in an extra mag and green laser sights. Not sure what that is, but if it's like a holographic quick sight, that would be cool. They are shipping it as we speak, but since it's new, it'll have to be DROS'd again so another 10 days on top of that. But i'll post pics and review it again once i get it. I'll compare against my SW MOE and Colt M4 Ops. Review coming soon.

04-26-2011, 6:30 PM
Well i went to go check it out. The ATI VK22 actually looks pretty nice with the quad rail forend. It looks better then the original varmint killer. I think for my troubles they threw in a front grip and a very small green dot sight. I think that sight would work better on a handgun LOL, so i might just sell that and buy some cheap barska scopes for it. I have some Magpul stuff for it already, but i like the forend, and probably will leave that, just replace the adjustbable stock, but i'll post pics before and after i put my mods on. I'll review in 10 days LOL. I really want to see if they upgraded the bolt or not, which was the weak point in the old ATI gun. Anyways, will do a 3 way compare with my Colt M4 ops and my S&W MOE when it comes in.

04-27-2011, 6:22 PM
Had the same problem with my VK-22 (really REALLY cheap-*** bolt assembly). Upon receiving a new bolt assembly a couple weeks ago, it looks like the back end of the bolt is reinforced with an additional "layer" of steel that holds the spring rod in place. I was going to shoot my obligatory 500 rounds through it when I went to the range but the trigger rod (whatever it's called) fell off, and so I'm off to the range again this weekend. Hopefully, the reinforced bolt does the trick...

04-27-2011, 10:23 PM
ummm.. i think your thread title is a little mis-leading...

congrats on the new .22

04-29-2011, 3:32 PM
Haha, Stitch. Yeah, i know a bunch of people read my old thread where i was comparing the 3 guns, Colt M4 Ops, SW 15-22, and the ATI-VK, till my ATI busted after a month of use. I was planning on writing a review of that gun awhile back, but it's been so long that thread is locked now LOL. So i thought i'd continue on here part 2.

Paredyme, good to hear they beefed up the bolt a bit. I didn't get a chance to crack the new ATI open, but i'll def take pics of it again, i get to pick it up next week woohoo LOL.

04-29-2011, 6:37 PM
Yeah, I hope so too! Aside from the bolt issue, it's a nice little package, with the lower being a "real" AR lower. I'd say that if there are any future issues, you're better off calling ATI (they take a while to answer emails), get an RA#, and ship it directly to them. The turnaround is about 3 or 4 weeks. Reason I say this is because I recently bought a firearm from Turners and I asked what I should do if I have issues with it; they said send it direct to the manufacturer because if you return it to Turner's, they will take a few months to have the issue resolved...this was straight from the store manager's mouth and confirms everything you've mentioned in your first thread.

04-29-2011, 8:36 PM
Turners told me in this case that ATI uses an external repair company and it was sent there and was lost. Well not sure if it's lost, they claim it's still there LOL. So ATI sent a brand new gun dirrectly to turners with extra goodies for me. So whoever's fault, i got a brand new gun, they DROS'd it on their dime, got a forward grip, green dot sight, and the new quad rail forend. Turners was going to throw in a new case too, but i didn't bother asking for it as i already have nylon cases for my rifles. I'm just going to throw on some magpul things like the stock and trigger guard, maybe a cheap scope. We'll see. Anyways, looking forward to it now that i know they beefed up the bolt assembly. I still think i have a JP yellow trigger kit for this lower too. Might turn out to be the best rifle of the 3. All 3 of my rifles now will have lightened triggers. Can't wait.

05-02-2011, 7:54 PM
Sooo....went to the range yesterday, and shot about 400 rounds through it, and then, ... bolt won't completely close. Oh brother! As I examined more closely, some small pieces fell off so I decided to bag it all in and try to tinker with it at home.

The good news is that the integrity of the bolt assembly was maintained. As I suspected, the reinforced end of the bolt stayed true. The bad news is that the front end of the spring rod became loosened...it was a simple matter of aligning all the parts together and screwing the nut back on, but oi vey...a little more care in basic engineering can go a LONG way! :(

So I guess the moral of the story is, it's a great gun...just make sure to tighten the front end of the bolt assembly after 400 rounds!

05-04-2011, 7:33 PM
Interesting, good thing it didn't break anything like the spring or extractor. I might try to put some loctite on it before i go shooting. I'll try take a look once i see it. But good information. Thanks.

05-06-2011, 9:58 PM
Doing some surgery on it LOL.

Here it is right out of the box. They threw in an extra mag, so 2 mags, lock, cleaner brush, small green dot sight, forward grip, quad rails, rubber rail covers.

here is the bolt.

Here's the gun with magpul stock and other cheap barska stuff i had.

i put JP Yellow spring kit, still need to attach magpul grip and magpul moe trigger guard. But here is my gun next to a S&W MOE on top.

05-06-2011, 10:11 PM
The lower is a real AR lower, albeit a cheap lower, but it works fine. The changes between my old ATI VK 22 and this one is the new metal quad rails which makes it feel heavy and substantial. Or maybe because i have the forward grip on it. The finish on the lower looks thicker and matches the polymer upper better. The mags look to be the same as the old ATI VK mag, i didn't expect these to change. They changed the mag removal button with the thick fixed button, where you need a small long punch like bar to drop the mag. They fortunately include a normal button too, but i tried taking off the current button but it's in there pretty good. I'm going to have to be careful working this as i might scratch the finish.

They did throw in this green dot sight. It's not bad. it has this small rubber cover, when you take it off it turns on automatically. It looks more like a pistol sight, so i'll save it for another gun.

I didn't get a chance to shoot it yet, maybe next week. But i'll try to post a review soon.

05-07-2011, 6:00 PM
I was starting to zero the barska optical red dot at home with a laser boresight tool. Looked at my front sight and no center sight post LOL. No, detent or spring either. Must have forgot to install it at the factory? Or the threads are stripped and it came out? LOL. Right when i thought ATI's quality control was better. Well i ordered a center sight post, and detent and spring. Should be here before the weekend when i go shooting.

05-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Finished installing all the parts.

1. JP Enterprises Yellow spring kit, great on Any AR Lower and S&W 15-22.
2. Barska Red dot sight.
3. Magput MOE, grip/trigger guard, stock.

Colt has

1. Bill Springfield lightened trigger
2. Barska 1x Red dot sight.
3. Magpul stock.

05-14-2011, 1:52 PM
Well went to the range, brought the S&W MOE and ATI. I screwed up, i bent the spring on the hammer too much and didn't have enough strike force to trigger the ammo. DOH! So i took the hammer back out when i got home and the spring did look a little bent, so i bent it back and reinstalled it. Feels a little stronger LOL.. not a lot more though so hope it works next time. I was looking forward to shooting this ATI. Not only does it look good now, i was hoping that it would function flawlessly. Which it should. The spring holder rod on the bolt still looks a little thin compared to the S&W spring rod which looks like it's constructed much more robustly and with more quality.

The MOE i fed about 300rds of CCI Blazers, CCI bulk, and Winchester 333. All perfect with the yellow spring kit as well. I was zeroing in the cheap barska 2x red dot and it worked well. At 25-30 yards even the small red dot covered the small orange round stickers i was using on my targets, but it was right on. There were no failure to feeds, no light strikes on the ammo, perfect. I will try the ATI again next week.

It was nice at the range today, no 45's, nor 44/357 magnums next to me LOL. Two others with 22's were shooting, it was fun.

05-27-2011, 7:22 PM
Finally got out to shoot the ATI VK 22. Worked well. I shot about 500 rds through it. Mostly getting rid of a box of winchester Xpert 22lr lead hollow pt. Well, as usual the ATI ate up the CCI, blazers as well as the minimags i have in bulk. No problems at all, and the kick of the CCI's felt almost double of of the Winchester even though the Xpert's are supposed to be high velocity. Well because of the non smooth shape of the hollow pt.s i think they don't load as cleanly as the CCI round nose bullets. I had maybe 10 clips load totally clean out of 50 LOL with the Xperts. At least 1 bullet would fail to load or fail to fire with the Xperts. Not worth it, the CCI's are so much better.

Anyways, the gun was fun to shoot. It's easy to clean, probably as close to a real AR as you're gonna get with the metal hand guard has the weight go up even though the upper is polymer. The JP Ent. Yellow spring kit worked perfectly. I have a couple of 10rd black dog mags for this and maybe because of the stronger spring, it seemed to perform well. The stock ATI mags seem to have a weaker spring, although they work well with the CCI's, but didn't seem to work as well with the Winchester ammo.

Still for reliability and fun, the S&W 15-22 is still on my top of the list. It's just been the most reliable and fun, easy to clean rifle. I will say this ATI is now my 2nd top rifle. I pushed my Colt M4 ops down to 3rd, even though it shoots really good as well as the ATI. It's just the cleaning aspects that i pushed it down to 3.