PDA

View Full Version : Farallon Island Lings

Tunis
11-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Potluck fishing trip out to the Farallon Islands aboard the California Dawn! We limited out on everything we could catch! Here's my brother with his limit of lings!
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/tunislopez/IMG_1418.jpg

hung380
11-18-2006, 4:37 PM
which landing did you go out with? Besides lings, what else did you guys get?

Cobrarlc
11-18-2006, 5:09 PM
Looks like a great trip. Did you see any Great Whites at the Islands?

M. Sage
11-18-2006, 5:40 PM
I've heard a lot of boats won't even go out there.

Some MONSTER sharks hang out at the Farallons. :D

Cobrarlc
11-18-2006, 5:47 PM
There was a great article in Sports Illustrated last year about the Great Whites at the island. The have monitored up to 20 different GWs that return each year to the island during the seal birthing season.

Fjold
11-18-2006, 6:58 PM
There was a great article in Sports Illustrated last year about the Great Whites at the island. The have monitored up to 20 different GWs that return each year to the island during the seal birthing season.

Elephant seal, the other white meat.

M. Sage
11-18-2006, 7:54 PM

I've got a book on it. Neat read.

http://www.devilsteeth.net/

Tunis
11-18-2006, 11:52 PM
The California Dawn is out of the Berkeley Marina. The entire fleet has been fishing the islands when the action inside/outside the bay has been slow for stripers and halibut. The Farallons is a good 2-3 hour pull, depending on conditions. It's a live bait trip, but in order to catch big fish, we had to catch big bait. We stopped at a spot a few miles from the islands to load up on sanddabs and mackerel, using pieces of squid. We also already had live anchovies on board. We limited on everything we were allowed to catch out there:
rock cod (blacks, yellowtails, vermillion) - limit: 10
Bocaccio - limit: 1
Ling Cod - limit: 2
We didn't see any sharks, but I hear they do go after angler's fish from time to time. We did however see a bunch of dolphins and whales on the way out.

M. Sage
11-19-2006, 1:13 PM
Just remembered: I can see the big Farallon on my way home from work, when it's clear enough. Pretty cool sight.

newtothis
11-19-2006, 10:30 PM

Maybe it's because of the radioactive waste dumped out there. Must be leaking pretty good by now.:eek:

kantstudien
11-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Live bait? That's for women! Men throw heavy iron! :D

Pics of the reds? I'll take those anyday over lings.

SKSPOWER650
11-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Wow Those Look Good