View Full Version : M1 Carbine conversion stock project

04-20-2011, 1:53 PM
Not much of a project really, just refinishing the stock. Still fun though, and thought I would share.

It is my opinion that the photos you can find on the web of these M1 Carbine conversion stocks make the replicas look cheap. That's just an artifact of the photos, these are nicely made things!

I bought the blond wood stock with the intent of giving it a linseed oil finish. Whatever sealer the stock comes with is very thin and subtle. Most of it seemed to come off pretty easily with acetone. Any remnants I sanded away with a fine grit. I also roughed up the surface a bit with a wire brush, and smoothed over some of the really sharp edges of this machine milled stock.

I have used linseed oil before, but only the hardware store bought Sunnyside brand. I have finished another gun and an old Russian ammo crate with the stuff and am happy with the results. Even so, I wanted to try something different this time, so I sought out some higher quality linseed oil. I chose AllbŚck brand, a Swedish import.

This stuff is thinner than the hardware store stuff, and has a lighter color.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone photos on everything, but hopefully you can make out the difference in color. The AllbŚck is on the left.

In the bottle, this Swedish brand smells just as strong as the hardware store stuff. The difference is that the cheaper Sunnyside oil continues to smell very strong for weeks and months after use. The odor of the AllbŚck is almost gone after only 24 hours.

For the first application I heated the oil on the stove and made a trough from tin foil.

One catastrophic mess later, the stock was looking better already.

Three applications later, it's hard to tell if the wood is actually getting any darker.

I don't expect the stock to get too much darker because the oil is so light. I'll just keep at it until I get sick of it and see how it goes.

Gun is still being held captive. I pick it up on Sunday, will report then about the fit. Based on what others have said, I am not expecting any issues.

Quickdraw Mcgraw
04-20-2011, 1:57 PM
Looks great...gonna add some tech sights?? Tag for a pick later of entire rifle!

04-20-2011, 1:58 PM
Do you do Garands :)

04-20-2011, 2:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I look forward to see further progress. I'm still on the fence on whether to get a modern tacticool 22 or do one of these M1 Carbine builds myself, so I can start getting into some Appleseed shoots. The negative reviews of original finish of these stocks were one of my main concerns, but after seeing the grain after being stripped in your post, I'm starting to lean toward this option a little bit more.

04-20-2011, 2:17 PM
Looks great...gonna add some tech sights?? Tag for a pick later of entire rifle!

UPS came to the door with my new Tech Sights, literally right as I was typing up this post!

ElvenSoul: Maybe. So long as I get to shoot a few rounds later!

Loosewreck: The factory finish on these conversion stocks may be cheap, but that can be fixed. It is my opinion that black plastic will always look cheap, and there just isn't much you can do about that. I say go with the wood!

04-21-2011, 1:24 PM
Pretty cool, looks great. Which brand conversion stock did you get?

04-21-2011, 4:11 PM
I don't know the brand name, but any you can find are most likely the same producer. I think I got mine on Gunbroker

04-21-2011, 11:14 PM
I only ask because I just picked one up from Sportsman's Guide for $99. Haven't tried it on yet, but looks ok. I really like the lighter finish of yours though. If I get enough willpower, I'll take off the Tommy Gun kit and put on the M1 carbine stock. ;-)

Quickdraw Mcgraw
04-22-2011, 2:24 PM
:useless: We all wanna see the finished project whenever ya get a chance!

04-22-2011, 3:06 PM
Here is the Tech Sights set, I ordered the TSR200 model. For ten extra dollars you get an elevation adjustable rear sight. Dunno if it's worth it or not, but didn't want to have spent $60 and wished I had spent $70 for such a little thing.

Some other cool stuff I bought for the gun I still don't have yet:

I also picked up a replica sling. It didn't look right being so new, so I roughed it up a bit for an added feeling of authenticity. I used a wire brush on the strap very gently. Then I did the same to the metal bits. The scratches expose fresh metal, so to make it look a little aged I used a permanent marker to fill in the color again. Before the ink dried, I smeared it around with my finger. Then I took some cosmoline out of one of those bottles that comes with any Mosin Nagant and smeared it lightly on the strap end to end. Put the strap on some tinfoil and threw it all in the toaster to melt the comoline into the fabric. Voila, instant years-of-use look ( and smell ) with out it being all beat up and worn out.

04-27-2011, 1:29 PM
Many coats of raw linseed oil later, the stock just isn't getting any darker. From here on out, I am just going to have to be patient as time, air, and sunlight do their work to darken and redden the linseed oil. Months before I see much change!

04-27-2011, 1:38 PM
Would go great with Ojisan's Thompson conversion!

04-27-2011, 1:45 PM
Thanks! Still doesn't look "right". All I ever see are old beat up M1 carbines, so a brand new stock and gun looks kinda strange to me. The gun will only get better with age and use ( unlike the user )

I do like those Thompson conversions. I considered those too, but I have always had a soft spot for the M1 carbines. A vet bring-back was one of the first guns I ever shot, have wanted one ever since.

04-27-2011, 6:27 PM
Very nice job. Light color or not it looks good! Did you think about some dye or other options to darken it?

04-27-2011, 7:34 PM
I have to get one of those stocks now.
Dave N

04-27-2011, 7:50 PM
Very nice job. Light color or not it looks good! Did you think about some dye or other options to darken it?

I did think of it, but I am a nut for oil finishes. There is just something about wood with an oil finish that feels warm and natural.

Both the rifle and the ammo box that I have finished with raw linseed oil have already started to darken and turn red. ( already = several months ) I can wait a bit for this rifle to darken as well.

Dave N, go for it!

Oh yeah and the Tech Sights are really nice. I haven't shot with them yet, but I prefer the service rifle sight picture over the factory setup.