View Full Version : Help! Replacement part for S&W Model10-6 .357 magnum.

04-20-2011, 1:47 PM
Hi fellow Calgunners! I'm not familiar with revolvers and my brother-in-law is asking for help about replacement parts. He was able to get his hands on a Smith & Wesson .357 magnum. It's the model 10-6 we believe. According to our research, it's a limited run of Model10 in .357 before they renamed it Model 13 and mass produced it. It looks like the Model13 but it has "Model 10" marked in the Yoke/Crane part. The rest of the marking are fading except for the S&W and the caliber.

Problem is that it has a small crack (not too big) in the middle part of the yoke/crane. My brother-in-law tested it with .38 ammo. The seller showed that it's ok to shoot .357 by shooting a couple of rounds before the transaction. To be safe my brother-in-law wants to replace that cracked part before shooting it more. But I looked around and all i can find is regular Model 10 parts for .38 version. Can we buy that .38 version yoke/crane or can we buy and use the yoke/crane for the Model 13? Your wise and experienced opinion or instruction is needed since we are both not that familiar with wheelguns. Maybe a suggestion (or link) of a store where we can buy the right part will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Can't buy anything here
04-20-2011, 2:03 PM
Smith and Wesson has excellent customer service and might replace the part for free...call them and ask...you will most likely have to send the gun in for liability reasons but they will send you a shipping label if you ask for it...btw, I can't beleive the seller fired it with magnums...if I saw a crack, I wouldn't fire it with anything...

04-20-2011, 3:24 PM
Call S&W service ASAP! The crane is critical to keeping the cylinder aligned with the bbl. A crack or warped crane can be disastrous (IE: the bullet fails to enter the forcing cone).

04-20-2011, 5:06 PM
Thanks for the warnings! We have the same thinking and that's why it's been decided to shoot it only when the crane is replaced. Sad thing is that the revolver is at an Asian country and not here in the USA. Can't easily send it to S&W. Maybe i can still call and ask how to get a replacement part sent out to my brother-in-law.

Can't buy anything here
04-20-2011, 8:57 PM
These parts shouldn't be too hard to find...here's one for the k-frame.

04-20-2011, 9:53 PM
There is often a degree of fitting required for this part. There is some lot variation for both crane and cylinder dimensions. If the crane is a little short some people shim the fit, if it's long it needs to be very carefully cut by someone that knows what they are doing. This controls to fore and aft location of the cylinder in the frame (headspace, and cylinder to barrel clearance) and the amount of endplay for the cylinder.

Bottom line - it's often not a straight drop-in part.

all the best,

04-27-2011, 2:09 PM
Thanks for all the info! So this is a K-frame? How do i differentiate from K or J frame?