PDA

View Full Version : Free Float Help

nickj03b
11-17-2006, 7:41 PM
Ok I pruchased a RRA varmint upper receiver and a yhm free float handguard. The upper has the standard aluminum free float tube on it. How do you get this off after removal of the gas block and tube? I have read the sticky over on ar15.com but the instructions are only for standard handguard removal. I have the yhm handguard wrench. Do I also need a vice block or can it be done without it?

Blue
11-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Ok I pruchased a RRA varmint upper receiver and a yhm free float handguard. The upper has the standard aluminum free float tube on it. How do you get this off after removal of the gas block and tube? I have read the sticky over on ar15.com but the instructions are only for standard handguard removal. I have the yhm handguard wrench. Do I also need a vice block or can it be done without it?

I don't know if the YHM wrench will work on regular tubes, my armorers wrench has different peg spacing compared to my YHM wrench. I have no idea on how you actually get the tube off but you should use a vice block. I'm in San Jose and have the tools if you find out how to get the tube off of the barrel nut. It might be a two piece deal like the YHM, but maybe you need a strap wrench to unscrew the tube? I honestly don't know. If you're local shoot me a message.

pklin1297
11-18-2006, 7:43 AM
A friend of mine has that same tube also and we both tried to disassemble it to no avail. The "barrel nut" is one piece with the tube oddly enough, and it seems to me that you will have to rotate the entire tube to get it off, but better to use a upper receiver block and a strap wrench. Since the tube is one-piece with the nut, they probably would've had to torque it to the same specs as when installing the barrel...
Best solution would probably be sending RRA an email or give them a call, they can probably answer this is a few minutes than trying to find an answer on here... But please post the answers you get from RRA if you decide to contact them.

Blue
11-18-2006, 9:22 AM
I wonder if the armorers wrench will fit behind the tube and be able to grab some of the holes in the barrel nut.

pklin1297
11-18-2006, 9:26 AM
I've tried the armorer's wrench method, and the upper receiver is in the way so you can't get the wrench on and you definitely can't rotate it.

TonyM
11-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Did you checkout this thread? It might help a little..

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=296523

I believe this is the tool they are talking about:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=639&cat=1450

Might work with your RRA... Unless your RRA is one that just Screws on like I've read about some of the Bushmaster units, then all you need is a vise and a strap wrench.

mltrading
11-18-2006, 10:39 AM
1) Ask RRA directly for help.

2) Mostlikely you will need a strap wrench to dis-assemble it.

nickj03b
11-18-2006, 10:58 AM
The tube looks like a one piece design. A strap wrench will probably be the answer, but I dont necessarily want to spend $50 on a vice block that I will only use one time. Has anyone ever done a free flot install without one?

Blue
11-18-2006, 12:19 PM
The tube looks like a one piece design. A strap wrench will probably be the answer, but I dont necessarily want to spend $50 on a vice block that I will only use one time. Has anyone ever done a free flot install without one?

Are you near San Jose? Come use my vice block and save your cash.

nickj03b
11-18-2006, 1:06 PM
I greatly appreciate the offer but I am 2 hours north. It would cost me more than $50 to fill my gas tank!

TonyM
11-18-2006, 9:28 PM
I greatly appreciate the offer but I am 2 hours north. It would cost me more than $50 to fill my gas tank!

I'm in Brentwood, that's at least 40 minutes north if you drive as fast as I do.. ;)

Send me a PM if you want to come by, we could drink a few homebrews and make a day/night of it (we've got a spare bedroom).