PDA

View Full Version : Getting the GF a Walther P22, what HDish ammo?

beertinted
04-20-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm getting the girlfriend a Walther P22 (5 inch) for her first gun as a birthday gift. She's only shot once (my Glock 23 and a Sig P238), but loved it and wants to shoot more/be a gun owner. I want her to be successful and have fun with her first gun, hence the low caliber and longer barrel. I also don't want to break the bank, hopefully I can pick one of these up new for around $450. She could handle the .40 but much preferred the .380 and seems like she'd need training on a .22 to get comfortable.

It will mostly be used for plinking and gaining experience/confidence. I realize that .22 is not generally a practical caliber for inflicting substantial damage to an attacker.

That being said, of course, I would like to know what the best 'home defense' type ammo would be.

In my research, it seems like one of the better choices might be "CCI Mini-Mag High Velocity Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Plated Lead Round Nose"

Thanks for your guidance.

lugar
04-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Try the 60 grain Aguila SSS or the supermax 30 grain.

Homebrew2
04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
For 22lr, I look to highest velocity + most penetration (not expansion) = Aguila 40gr Interceptor ... if the gun will handle hypervel.

scorpionking
04-20-2011, 11:01 AM
With a gun like the P22 which is notorious for being a jammomatic, reliability is more important than grains or velocity. Load it with 22's that feed day in and day out. With a 22 for HD, she may need to dump all 10 rounds in the mag to stop the guy. It doesn't help her if the gun FTF's after the first round of Aguila 4000 fps 100 grain round......

beertinted
04-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Try the 60 grain Aguila SSS or the supermax 30 grain.

These seem to be made for rifles - will they work or are they even appropriate for a handgun like the Walther P22?

Falstaff
04-20-2011, 5:58 PM
If I was going to press mine into an HD role I'd use 1750fps CCI stingers (they work great in mine).

Quiet
04-20-2011, 6:07 PM
If I was going to press mine into an HD role I'd use 1750fps CCI stingers (they work great in mine).

:iagree:

tba02
04-20-2011, 6:11 PM
CCI Velocitors are my choice in that area, ... after a good break in w/ mini-mags.
Dry lube, moly powder the rails and check the trigger bar ears.
Get over to rimfirecentral for all things P22.

If not the Velocitors, I'd stick with mini-mags as I have never had a problem.

wu_dot_com
04-20-2011, 6:14 PM
I'm getting the girlfriend a Walther P22 (5 inch) for her first gun as a birthday gift. She's only shot once (my Glock 23 and a Sig P238), but loved it and wants to shoot more/be a gun owner. I want her to be successful and have fun with her first gun, hence the low caliber and longer barrel. I also don't want to break the bank, hopefully I can pick one of these up new for around $450. She could handle the .40 but much preferred the .380 and seems like she'd need training on a .22 to get comfortable.

It will mostly be used for plinking and gaining experience/confidence. I realize that .22 is not generally a practical caliber for inflicting substantial damage to an attacker.

That being said, of course, I would like to know what the best 'home defense' type ammo would be.

In my research, it seems like one of the better choices might be "CCI Mini-Mag High Velocity Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Plated Lead Round Nose"

Thanks for your guidance.

if you want HD .22, get a revolver. a semiauto .22 is just not something thats reliable enough where i would trust my life on.

on the other hand, if you are looking for something more reliable, get a ruger MK3 or buckmark. both of those will be more reliable with HV ammo than P22.

rojocorsa
04-20-2011, 9:10 PM
http://wethearmed.com/index.php/topic,12189.0.html

The above makes these guns off putting for me.

USMC VET
04-20-2011, 9:30 PM

This, no other questions needed....

Psst....id advise against a 22lr for HD, if its recoil then id go 380 or 9, but while a 22lr can kill it may take more than the opportunity presented allows. Just my opinion though.

Kryptyde
04-21-2011, 10:28 AM
HD is the kind of thing where if you are going to do it, you need to do it properly.

Doing it improperly (like using a .22LR) could lead to significantly more danger via failure to stop an attacker and resultant escalation of violence.

Most would say a pump action shotgun is the appropriate method.

mif_slim
04-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Most people look at the 22LR as a less-lethal weapon. I think it can kill just as well as any pistols out there. I've seen it go thru full grown Black Angus thru their head with a single shot just last week. Yes it was close range at about 1 foot, but after we cut the head in half, the entire frontal part of the cow including hide, fat and skull was about 6 thick mostly from hide and bone, bone being the thickest. They used Rem Gold for the job.

I think any ammo would be good in 22, just pick the one that works the best in the gun.

Tythagoras
04-21-2011, 2:05 PM
Why all the suggestions for stingers? I've never had one penetrate a half-gallon jug full of water, and I've shot quite a few jugs with it. Given that water is less dense than tissue, This would translate into a very shallow wound. A nasty wound for sure, but only penetration to vitals is going to stop an attacker with any semblance of alacrity.

I realize you have to start somewhere and .22LR is a great starting point. Now, if you are serious about defense, push to get a centerfire handgun, shotgun, or even a carbine as soon as practicable. I don't think there's much point in the 9mm vs .45 debates that rage on endlessly on this site and many others, but 9mm vs .22 is rarely argued, and for good reason.

If a 22lr was all I had, I'd keep it loaded with high velocity 40gr solids or 40gr hollowpoints. CCI Velocitors would likely work.

Remember that .22LR is a marginal defense cartridge, and shot placement will be of paramount importance in a defensive engagement. Train hard, train often, and train toward perfection. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Also remember that no one shoots under stress the same as when they are calmly shooting paper at the range.

Sanderhawk
04-21-2011, 5:27 PM
I have a walthers p22 and its a pretty cool little gun. I got it for my wife and daughter to shoot. It likes mini mags the best. Iwill shoot golden bullets or copper coated bullets ok but it absolutly hates the lead nose bullets. It will not cycle at all with the lead nose.

zoglog
04-21-2011, 7:04 PM
anything pink and with flowers!