PDA

View Full Version : Model 60 not ejecting correctly

cebal101
04-20-2011, 9:10 AM
So at the range yesterday I had an empty stove-pipe AND a double feed at the same time...

Ive never had this happen to me before. Ive put over 2k rounds through my Marlin Model 60 and once I found ammo it liked, never had a problem till now. I also clean it after each use. In all fairness sometimes I wait a couple of days to clean but I always do clean it.

This problem happened after one empty failed to eject, getting stuck in the bolt. I cleared it, shot a round, then the same thing happened again. After clearing it a second time, shot a round and then this happened.

I asked a range master for help since I had no idea what had happened, and once the two rounds were taken out and the empty taken out as well, the bolt was stuck open.

I disassembled the rifle and noticed that the bolt spring was stuck in the open position. I was easily able to get it to work correctly (at least appear to work correctly). I didnt fire anything else through the rifle because at the very least im going to give it a thorough cleaning. Im also reluctant to fire it without getting advice first, just to make sure that its safe.

Any Marlin guys out there had this happen? Do you think I need a bolt spring? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

azlester
04-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Sometimes the ejecter wire gets out of alignment on the 60, take a look here how to easily check the alignment with a nickle.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388240

cebal101
04-20-2011, 4:49 PM
Thanks! Im going to check that out as soon as I can!

mindwip
04-21-2011, 1:40 PM
Also, what ammo u using, my marline will do that with rem ammo, it shaves lead from the bullets and causes issues

DartFrog
04-21-2011, 1:52 PM
How old is it? You may have a worn out feed throat. Check out rimfirecentral.com for info on replacing it.

nevil
04-21-2011, 6:17 PM
check the recoil spring and guide pin. I have put 3 spring in mine and also found I had a bent recoil guide pin. Just got my guide pin in a couple of weeks ago and have a spring on order.

cebal101
04-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Oh wow, ill check out those other parts as well. My rifle is several months old now with a little over 200k rounds through it. I always do clean after every use but I know that problems can happen regardless of cleaning.

Ive been using the Federal 36 grain ammo. My rifle hates the winchester 333 packs and have only used Rem "Golden Bullet" ammo once but it was fine when I tried it. The Federal has always worked very well. Ive used at least 1500 rounds of it with out problems. and on the rare occasion that ive shot quickly, it will shoot as fast as I can pull the trigger (although I dont make that a habit since im much more interested in working on my marksmanship than rapid-firing.)

As far as checking the recoil spring and pin, do I just "eye it" or is there a certain way to determine if its not straight? Is there an allowable "margin of error" when it comes to the spring? I would assume that the pin does need to be perfect.

chesterthehero
04-24-2011, 7:11 AM
My rifle is several months old now with a little over 200,000 rounds through it."

i think you have done the math incorrectly

darkgrue
04-24-2011, 8:58 PM
As far as checking the recoil spring and pin, do I just "eye it" or is there a certain way to determine if its not straight? Is there an allowable "margin of error" when it comes to the spring? I would assume that the pin does need to be perfect.

Shouldn't be too critical from what I recall on mine. You can roll it along the edge of a relatively flat table to see if it's flat. It doesn't have to be perfect, but if it's significantly bent, the spring will bind as it uncompresses, which will significantly reduce the force bringing the bolt back forward.

It probably won't bend under normal use, but when you're reinstalling the bolt, it can be tricky to compress the spring and get it onto the pin while juggling the bolt back into place.

I'd wager the source of your problems is the alignment of the ejector spring, and the nickel trick works great (I had the same problem myself). But while you have the action apart, never hurts to check the other parts. =)

A guy by the name of ArrowDodger put together a presentation on how to tear down and reassemble the Model 60, which I highly recommend. The file should still be able to be downloaded from http://www.4shared.com/file/27056203/a17eeefe/Marlin_60_Action_assy_a.html. There's also http://www.castbullet.com/misc/m60.htm, which is helpful, but not nearly as detailed as the former. I highly reccomend getting ArrowDodger's one and saving it off for reference, you'll want it if you ever take the action completely apart.

Rigma
04-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Had a similar issue a while back. There was a post somewhere in here that addressed it with ideas on the solution. Can't remember where, might be in the 795 thread.

cebal101
04-25-2011, 7:42 AM
hahaha, I definitely have the math wrong. Meant to say 2000 or 2k.

cebal101
04-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Well, time to hope that a really good cleaning and alignment of the ejector wire works... Recoil spring is on back order from Marlin and my ETA was an ambiguous "at least a few weeks." Good thing I ordered 2 springs and a recoil guide.

Worse case scenario ill have my rifle back in action in a few weeks. hahaha I guess its time to look into another .22 rifle just incase my rifle is out of commission for a while. Any recommendations for a budget friendly rifle in .22lr? Single shots are fine. Just something to take to the range. I think this is a good opportunity to check out the marketplace.

DartFrog
04-25-2011, 1:07 PM
Marlin 795 about $150 with a $25 mail in rebate from Marlin.

If you dont want to wait on Marlin to send you a spring, you can always try Brownell's, Midway USA or Numrich gun parts. Do a seach on google for marlin model 60 gun parts and all of those will show up.

*edit of those sights, Brownell's and Midway have the springs on back order. Numrich has them for $10 + SH.

cebal101
05-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Well gentleman, after a day at the range yesterday the cleaning and alignment of the ejector wire seems to have worked! What a relief...

I started the rifle out slow with first 1, then 2, then 4, then a full tube all fired many seconds apart (while hoping it wouldn't jam). After, I went about a great day of shooting. A buddy of mine even rapid fired a full tube, and it worked fine (and thankfully we stopped him before the range-master did because we all know how thats not allowed at some ranges, like Angeles).

One more question though... I still have a couple of recoil springs and a recoil spring guide on order. Should I cancel that order or are those spare parts I want to keep on hand? How long do those generally last and are they always on back order?

Thanks again for the advice!

azlester
05-02-2011, 9:06 AM
Spare parts always come in very handy.