PDA

View Full Version : guns and amtrak

ubet
04-20-2011, 8:56 AM
I have a ccw, and am looking at taking amtrak (ca trip only), anyone know their policy for ccw? Can a person ccw on amtrak? I dont really like the idea of my pistol and ammo being underneath and taking a chance of getting lost (bus first, then train ride). Or is it the same as for other firearms, locked and stowed, underneath, checked in all that good stuff?

Next question, anyone have any experience with amtrak and firearms? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

CalBear
04-20-2011, 9:03 AM
I have a ccw, and am looking at taking amtrak (ca trip only), anyone know their policy for ccw? Can a person ccw on amtrak? I dont really like the idea of my pistol and ammo being underneath and taking a chance of getting lost (bus first, then train ride). Or is it the same as for other firearms, locked and stowed, underneath, checked in all that good stuff?

Next question, anyone have any experience with amtrak and firearms? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
CCW and carrying on board are not permitted activities. I took a firearm on a trip to Oregon. You have to call the Amtrak 800 number at least 24 hours in advance, preferably even earlier. They make a reservation for your firearm. You should then get to the station at least 1 hour early, probably 1.5.

The station attendants need to check the firearm reservation and print out tickets for the firearm. Be warned: my experience was most station attendants had little to no experience with the process, and very few people remember to call Amtrak in advance!

Handguns need to be locked in hard containers. Ammo does not need to be locked, and can be stored in the manufacturer's box. The firearm should be unloaded. They may ask you to open the firearm container and demonstrate that it is indeed unloaded. I would recommend using a backpack to put the firearm container and ammo in. Otherwise the ammo is going to be loose in storage.

You will need to sign a declaration that will be placed with the firearm. You need to tag the bag / case with your contact info using those attachable tags they have at airports and train stations.

Once checked, the attendants will take the bag to the baggage storage area. When the train arrives, the bag will be placed in a special firearms container in the baggage car. On arrival at your destination, they will bring your bags to the station, where you will provide the baggage stubs and firearms ticket(s) if necessary, along with photo ID.

Most importantly, again: you MUST call at least 24 hours in advance. They will setup the reservation for both legs of your trip at that time. You should then arrive at the station EARLY, because station attendants may take a long time refreshing on how to process the firearm. Also, if the route does not provide checked baggage service at points of departure and destination, it will not be possible to transport the firearm.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1248542758975

Dreaded Claymore
04-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Wow. CalBear, thank you for all the information.

BigDogatPlay
04-20-2011, 1:55 PM
Confirmed... checked baggage only. Just like if you were going on a plane. No CCW on board.

The bus driver will not check your bags through to the train. You are responsible for them between the bus and the ticket counter where you check in. And yes, not a lot of AMTRAK station agents are wholly clear on the firearms process.

ubet
04-20-2011, 2:11 PM
Confirmed... checked baggage only. Just like if you were going on a plane. No CCW on board.

The bus driver will not check your bags through to the train. You are responsible for them between the bus and the ticket counter where you check in. And yes, not a lot of AMTRAK station agents are wholly clear on the firearms process.

My first leg of the journey is on a bus for about 50 miles, should I just carry on it?

Skidmark
04-20-2011, 4:59 PM
Searching this 2A forum for the term Amtrak will bring up dozens of previous threads.

supersonic
04-20-2011, 7:04 PM
That's really too bad that they don't allow the 'good guys' to CCW, when everyone knows that those who don't follow the law are strapped in those trains every day. Sure hope one of these guys doesn't have a bad week/month and decide to 'make himself famous' one day. There will be no one to stop 'em.;)

ubet
04-20-2011, 7:27 PM
Ok, have searched. Will my bag with my gun, be put behind the counter and put on by a amtrak person? How does this work, because I dont really feel safe with a $900 handgun, just sitting their out of MY control, and not behind some type of security door, with people able to just grab **** from the train.

CalBear
04-20-2011, 7:29 PM
Ok, have searched. Will my bag with my gun, be put behind the counter and put on by a amtrak person? How does this work, because I dont really feel safe with a $900 handgun, just sitting their out of MY control, and not behind some type of security door, with people able to just grab **** from the train.
In most stations, there is a luggage storage room in the station, which is an employees only area. Once you check in the firearm, they will put your bag in the back room. When the train arrives, they will open the luggage storage door on the platform side, load up a luggage cart, and move the bag onto the train, where it will be put in the firearms container.

ubet
04-20-2011, 7:32 PM
CalBear, THANK YOU. Did you feel your firearm was safe when you rode it?

CalBear
04-20-2011, 7:36 PM
CalBear, THANK YOU. Did you feel your firearm was safe when you rode it?
There was obviously a little bit of angst to get over when I had to turn the bag over the staff upon check in, but the employees don't seem to be out to steal stuff at those stations. It's pretty safe in the back, I gathered. I was a little more concerned that they would forget to take it off at my destination, but I think they have that routine down pretty well. The trains usually stop for a bit at each station, and you can see your bag coming off the train when it does.

ubet
04-20-2011, 7:45 PM
Im on the phone with amtrak, I can carry (ccw) on a bus, but have to check it for a train? Seriously, wtf?

Window_Seat
04-20-2011, 7:56 PM
This is a good question that deserves some discussion (of course, IMHO), and I hope that doesn't constitute thread jacking, but if it does, I'm glad to post it in a separate topic if asked...

CA has their high speed rail project (which I'm quite gung ho over, but everyone has their likes/dislikes), but the one thing I don't like is that it will be run by Govt, right?

If that's the case, and it continues to be optional for one to board a train, then how can the high speed rail train (or any passenger rail) be off limits to lawful carry of "guns all aboard"?

If Government is going to be in just about every single aspect of major passenger transport, how could "the people" be deprived of an individual & incorporated fundamental right while engaging in this kind of Interstate/Intrastate commerce?

Yes, I realize that the owner/board of directors can say "NO" to self defense onboard (for now), but if it's publicly funded transportation, how can that be considered "sensitive places" or even worse... "sensitive transportation", especially with Nordyke about to be ruled on and assuming we get what we expect? If that, as well as a future reciprocity measure passes, how can we NOT be able to carry lawfully onboard a train or plane sometime in the future?

And speaking about planes, what about air travel? Again, and I know that it's owned privately, but the owner can't even make a decision without having to ask mommy govt for a permission slip to make said decision.

It's interesting that Govt makes sure they allow the owner of the business to make that decision, while NOT allowing them to decide what size the toilets have to be and a whole crap load of other stuff the Govt makes them do (and not do)...

Erik.

ubet
04-20-2011, 8:18 PM
Add, no guns on bus, one says yes, one says no?

Should I just ccw anyway and not say anything????

I kid I kid I kid

supersonic
04-20-2011, 8:50 PM
Add, no guns on bus, one says yes, one says no? Should I just ccw anyway and not say anything????

I kid I kid I kid

You know better than to ask. If you're going to do it, that's solely your business.;)

ubet
04-20-2011, 10:13 PM
You know better than to ask. If you're going to do it, that's solely your business.;)

I am not gonna do it. If I had planned on it, I damned sure would not have made that post. Im dumb, not that dumb though. Well I hope not :confused:

SJgunguy24
04-21-2011, 4:03 AM
OK here's the real skinny about guns on Amtrak California. Checked baggage is NOT secure, I don't care what they say it is 100% NOT SECURE AT ALL. When I worked at PRK arms I took the train down to Fresno every week. Bus from San Jose to Stockton then train to Fresno. Many times the conductor would open the baggage car and just walk away so I could load up my bike then take my seat up stairs. One trip back home there was 20 12-15 year old kids in the baggage car just hanging out without supervision. This is my experiance on Amtrak California, basically a glorified commuter train, just more comfortable. The interstate trains have secure baggage storage.

Be discrete.

SkyStorm82
04-21-2011, 5:09 AM
Is it just their policy? The kind where if they find out, all they can do is kick you off?

SJgunguy24
04-21-2011, 5:39 AM
Is it just their policy? The kind where if they find out, all they can do is kick you off?

It's federal law, they must provide for firearms to be carried in checked baggage. In my experiance Amtrak CA has no secured baggage area what so ever. Amtrak's dangerous items policy prohibits even lighter fluid.
And Skystorm, unless you were on official duty, you wouldn't be allowed to CCW, even though federal law says you can.

SkyStorm82
04-21-2011, 6:35 AM
Federal law? Wonder what the penalty is. Guess I'm never riding Amtrak then.

socal2310
04-21-2011, 6:48 AM
Man, I would love to see a law passed that stipulates that any area deemed to be a gun free zone must enforce the policy (metal detectors, armed security) and provide a way to securely stow firearms.

In fact, I wonder how many of the politicians who pass laws prohibiting firearms in certain locations have actually given any thought to enforcement?

Ryan

ubet
04-21-2011, 7:07 AM
I know of people who have carried firearms on Amtrak before, when they didnt have any option for you to have.

Well, if somewhere along my trip, I get injured or dead because I cant take my firearm, I will be owning amtrak, then we can ALL carry! :D

SJgunguy24
04-21-2011, 8:12 AM
I know of people who have carried firearms on Amtrak before, when they didnt have any option for you to have.

Well, if somewhere along my trip, I get injured or dead because I cant take my firearm, I will be owning amtrak, then we can ALL carry! :D

I carried a gun when I worked in Fresno and you know how I got down there.
I went through the entire Amtrak website, the only thing in there that mentions firearms are the check in procedures. The ticket sleeve has all of the dangerous prohibited items.

paul0660
04-21-2011, 8:19 AM

You really, REALLY don't want to own Amtrak.

socal2310
04-22-2011, 10:14 AM
You really, REALLY don't want to own Amtrak.

No kidding. There are some routes that show a modest profit, but those are dwarfed by their staggering losses elsewhere. There's good reason why they have to operate on track owned by (and shared with) freight companies.

Ryan

vantec08
04-22-2011, 11:32 AM
True, amtrak runs up HUGE losses, passenger rail will never pay its way. The only track amtrak owns is the N/E corridor, New England. The other side of that is - most nations have a national railway, or at least a joint interest in one. Lot of people in the UK buy the annual RailPass and ride throughout the nation and to France. It has relieved a lot of road-highway congestion because passenger is given priority rather than freight.

ubet
04-22-2011, 3:03 PM
So is it a law you cant carry, or is it just a policy, same as a private store?

Barkoff
04-22-2011, 3:09 PM
Wow, I think transporting hazardous waste is easier.

BigDogatPlay
04-22-2011, 6:44 PM
So is it a law you cant carry, or is it just a policy, same as a private store?

AMTRAK policy... (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1248542758975) which is enforced by AMTRAK police if you get caught CCW a firearm on board. If you do not adhere to their rules they can refuse to let you ride and / or put you off the train.

Only exception is for LEOs, and even they are supposed to secure permission from AMTRAK police prior to boarding. In practice, LEOs let the conductor know they are LEO and armed and conductor either let's AMTRAK police know or (more often) shines it on.

gunsmith
04-22-2011, 10:09 PM
of course you shouldn't break the law.
I am willing to bet the amtrak police spend most of their resources catching MJ transporters, like I said in another thread earlier - ppl were openly smoking pot when I was on the train a few times between Reno/SF ... What I didn't say was I would have a hard time trusting them with my gun.

Looks like the easiest place to steal from.