PDA

View Full Version : Is it illegal to possess a CA legal ar-15 if unregistered to the possessor?

Geofois
04-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Common sense tells me once it became law that when you buy a firearm you pay the fees and it gets registered that any gun made after that date should 100% be registered or it means someone obtained it not through the legal means. Or are the other scenarios like people that moved from AZ to CA? Is it a felony or misdemeanor? Or is it different if it's a pistol versus a rifle versus a ca legal assault time rifle?

Dead*Reckoned
04-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Rifles aren't registered.

erik18
04-19-2011, 10:30 PM
^what he said. Long guns are NOT registered. Only handguns will come up when I run a firearm serial number on AFS.

Geofois
04-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Oh ok, so when we purchase CA legal AR-15 they don't get registered? Do we get charged that DOJ fee for background check then? I thought there was a $50 fee and a $20 fee and one was to register it and other was for check.

Connor P Price
04-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Rifles don't need to be registered. They can be if you voluntarily decide that you want the government to know what you own, but there are no legal repercussions for not registering your rifle.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-19-2011, 10:52 PM
...Do we get charged that DOJ fee for background check then? I thought there was a $50 fee and a $20 fee and one was to register it and other was for check.

The State fee is $25 and is made up of a $19.00 DROS fee, a $1.00 Firearms Safety Testing fee and a $5.00 Safety and Enforcement fee. You can DROS any number of long guns for this single $25 fee. Each handgun purchased needs its own DROS and DROS fee. The DROS process registers handguns in your name. It doesn't register anything for long guns.

If the transaction is not a private party transfer between two California residents meeting in person at the gun shop then the dealer can charge any additional fees he wishes, as long as he doesn't try to represent them as State fees. Most dealers will charge an additional $20 to $100 to process transfers that are shipped to them from out of state or from a distant California location. There are a couple of dealers who charge an additional dealer fee for guns sold out of their own inventory. They do this to make the advertised price of the gun appear lower. They are total d-bags.

If the transaction is a private party transfer between two California residents meeting in person at his shop then dealer can only charge an additional fee of $10 per firearm transfered.

Munk
04-19-2011, 10:53 PM
You're paying for DROS, tax and background check...

The only rifles that NEEDED to be registered, are RAWs(Registered Assault Weapons), and you can't exactly get one now, nor can you apply to register one. Or , way back in the day some NFA items.

The only things that get registered actively are handguns. They're registered on: New sales from FFL, PPT transfer, Consignment sale, and new resident importation (gotta handle that one yourself, don't worry about it being too late, just do it. There's a protection if the only reason they found out you were late is if you were trying to do the right thing.)

As the others mentioned, you CAN do a VolReg on a rifle. It's unneccessary, but allows you to register your firearm with the state.

tonelar
04-19-2011, 10:59 PM
When the ffl sends in the dros info, all he marks is an amount of long guns. All CA DOJ knows is that so and so will own a rifle or shotgun.

Handguns have their make, model and serial number reported to Sacto.

Geofois
04-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Ok great, I was thinking it would cost a lot more to transfer an ar 15 lower to me. So if someone gives me a lower, then it should only be $10 to transfer it to me? Or is it $25? I just don't want them trying to bs me. Can I take it in by myself to have them process it and wait 10 days? Or am I breaking the law since someone handed me it and for the time it took me to drive to the gun store I am breaking the law? Or is that fine?

rabagley
04-19-2011, 11:04 PM
If you want to minimize the risk of a poorly informed LEO getting all excitable about your AR-15's, there may be some value in voluntarily registering them so that when he illegally runs the serial numbers on your guns, he'll see that they are registered to you. He may then warn you that you should be carrying the RAW paperwork with you but he'll let you go with a warning this time.

But there is no legal requirement to register your CA legal AR-15.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Ok great, I was thinking it would cost a lot more to transfer an ar 15 lower to me. So if someone gives me a lower, then it should only be $10 to transfer it to me? Or is it $25? I just don't want them trying to bs me. Can I take it in by myself to have them process it and wait 10 days? Or am I breaking the law since someone handed me it and for the time it took me to drive to the gun store I am breaking the law? Or is that fine?

If the two of you are both California residents and the two of you both go into the dealer together for the transfer then the maximum charge is $35. That includes the $19 DROS, the $1.00 Firearms Safety Testing fee, the $5.00 Safety and Enforcement fee and the $10 PPT fee. Some unscrupulous dealers will try to charge you more than this.

If the lower is shipped to the dealer then the dealer can charge you anything he wants on top of the $25 in State fees.

In either case, the person giving you the lower needs to take or ship the lower to the dealer. The dealer will hold the lower for 10 days after you complete the DROS paperwork.

Geofois
04-19-2011, 11:12 PM
So can I receive an ar-15 lower and order my upper, put them together and go to the range and I didn't break any laws? Or is it illegal for me to take possession of a ca legal ar-15 without going through an ffl?

edit: ok I just read the previous post. So it needs to be handed to the dealer or we are breaking the law. Ok, $35 is more than reasonable.

rabagley
04-19-2011, 11:12 PM

The fee for PPT at the FFL is $35. $25 DROS for CA and $10 PPT transfer fee for the FFL. It is illegal for an FFL to charge you more than $35 for a PPT.

Both parties need to be present for a person to person transfer.

So can I receive an ar-15 lower and order my upper, put them together and go to the range and I didn't break any laws? Or is it illegal for me to take possession of a ca legal ar-15 without going through an ffl?

If you received the AR-15 lower from a person without the involvement of an FFL, then you need to fix the situation. Get the seller to an FFL near you and both of you start filling out paperwork. If the seller can't/won't show, it is possible to ups/fedex the lower to your favorite FFL (confirm that your FFL accepts shipments from non-dealers) and then do a used gun transfer at the FFL that way, but it becomes more expensive very quickly. For a part as cheap as an AR-15 lower, it's possibly cheaper and easier just to buy a stripped lower from a dealer, move the build over, destroy or send the other lower back.

Geofois
04-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Ok, thanks everyone or the information. I was also thinking of building a 1911 .45. Anyone know of a good source for a parts kit in stainless steel minus the bare frame?

chaseface
04-19-2011, 11:44 PM
If you want to minimize the risk of a poorly informed LEO getting all excitable about your AR-15's, there may be some value in voluntarily registering them so that when he illegally runs the serial numbers on your guns, he'll see that they are registered to you. He may then warn you that you should be carrying the RAW paperwork with you but he'll let you go with a warning this time.

But there is no legal requirement to register your CA legal AR-15.

This = fail. Not you in particular, but the fact that law abiding firearms owners need to think this way.

Geofois
04-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Does it cost more to transfer a hand gun? My friend just had his second baby and it's hard for him to get away between job and stuff. Can he sign off on it and I take it to the gun store if someone wants to buy it. I thinking "no" since the gun store will need his I.D. to transfer to the receiver.

Ding126
04-20-2011, 8:29 AM
If you and the seller are together PPT ( private party transfer ) and go to a FFL TOGETHER the fee is 35.00 for pistol or rifle.

If the seller is not local and the seller has to ship it to your local FFL then the FFL can charge you what ever he wants..usually 50-125.00 to handle the transaction.

You will have a 10 day waiting period for rifles and pistols

That's about as simple as I can explain it