PDA

View Full Version : Loaning or use of firearms

Milspec714
04-19-2011, 9:16 PM
Ok Calgunner experts... I need some help here...

In regards to to loaning of firearms i understand the legalities...

The issue i have is the use of firearms from other individual other than myself, while in my presence...

The situation is my church is putting on a shoot for the kids this weekend.. and an individual said it would be illegal for other kids to use my firearms (while i was watching) without a permission slip from there parents saying they could... (almost laughed)...

I personally never heard of this... and did not want to start an issue if I was was actually wrong...

I explained to him that I am a NRA Pistol, Rifle Instructor and a NRA RSO along with being actual CA DOJ HSC Instructor and active Guardsman with various other certs to boot. With many of the parents knowings this already I was dumbfounded when he said that.

Its not like Im trying to take over doing the program just want to help out and pass on the shooting bug.

Any opinions, answers?:confused:

Librarian
04-19-2011, 9:50 PM
Accurate.

PC 12101 12101. (a) (1) A minor shall not possess a pistol, revolver, or
other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply if one of the following
circumstances exists:
(A) The minor is accompanied by his or her parent or legal
guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct
transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not
limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or
hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video
production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which
involves this use of a firearm.
(B) The minor is accompanied by a responsible adult, the minor has
the prior written consent of his or her parent or legal guardian,
and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or
from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to,
competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity,
or a motion picture, television, or video production, or
entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the
use of a firearm.

Milspec714
04-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Accurate.

PC 12101

mmm.. this i knew of but took it only towards a crime that the minor committed and the use of this PC for legal action.

but probably wrong again... wow..

learn something new everyday...

thanks Librarian

Librarian
04-19-2011, 10:46 PM
You're welcome.

We need more 'responsible adults' with the time and inclination and skills to spread the word.

I hope you have a good event - post pictures, if you can!

Blackhawk556
04-20-2011, 1:16 PM
librarian, you're like a machine. How the do you know all this stuff. :-)

MaHoTex
04-20-2011, 1:43 PM
Hence the name "Librarian"... The books are all in his head!

Vipersx911
04-20-2011, 2:24 PM
Every legal posting on this website that requires PC, I see Lobrarian's SN always pop up and than a very lengthy post of CA PC #'s I would say a machine is an understatement........ Call him GOOGLE

carsonwales
04-20-2011, 9:14 PM
Oblique and Tangential Question Librarian:

A temporary trustee of a minor has in his possession said minor....

On an outing to a place that discharge of firearms (pistols) is legal...and said trustee is loaned (temporarily) a pistol...can the trustee of that minor then let the minor shoot that weapon (providing the written consent from the guardians of the minor to discharge "concealable" weapons is in possession of the temporary trustee) ?

In laymen terms:

If you go camping and take your friends kid...and you have written authorization from kids parent...and somebody at camp says try this 'son'...you will love this pistol...and the pistol is NOT owned by, controlled by the temporary custodian...DO WE HAVE A PROBLEM?

Are we covered with the initial and ostensibly global release obtained by the temporary custodian of said minor?

Oneway

jtmkinsd
04-20-2011, 9:20 PM
Hence the name "Librarian"... The books are all in his head!

Sometimes I think his avatar is an actual photo of him. :D

It's exquisitely apropos.

Librarian
04-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Oblique and Tangential

In laymen terms:

If you go camping and take your friends kid...and you have written authorization from kids parent...and somebody at camp says try this 'son'...you will love this pistol...and the pistol is NOT owned by, controlled by the temporary custodian...DO WE HAVE A PROBLEM?

Are we covered with the initial and ostensibly global release obtained by the temporary custodian of said minor?

Oneway

I don't believe the gun ownership is an issue. The bit of PC I dug up, above, suggests that the permission to use a gun be explicit - I don't think 'Junior can go to camp with Bobby Joe' would be enough, unless there was some obvious communication that 'camp' had shooting activities, or Bobby Joe is an NRA Master Pistol Instructor and that's sort of all Bobby Joe does, and the parents/guardian know that.

Just an opinion; don't really know.

I'm actually a HUGE user of Google; my real advantage is that I have been reading California laws and court cases for around 10 years now, and I'm getting good at guessing what words will bring up the most useful documents.

Plus, with all that searching, I have a bunch of bookmarks to things that have proved helpful. Add to that I've been on Calguns since about 2003 - came over from High Road when Jim March mentioned Calguns - and 9000 posts later, here I am!

Oh, and I've mentioned before, I really do have a MLS degree, but mostly because I think like a reference librarian. I've never had a paying gig as a librarian.

jtmkinsd
04-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Oh, and I've mentioned before, I really do have a MLS degree.

Most Learned Scholar :D