PDA

View Full Version : Moved, but DMV site says changing address doesn't get new ID card?

NorCalAthlete
04-19-2011, 9:01 PM
Taken from http://dmv.ca.gov/online/coa/welcome.htm :

You can change your residence or mailing address for your California Driver License, Identification Card, vehicle, or vessel. A new driver license, identification card or registration card is not issued when changing your address. Temporary mailing addresses are not allowed.

What can I do so that the next time I want to buy a firearm, my ID matches my address and whatnot? Change of address, then "lost" license request for new one? :(

Bhobbs
04-19-2011, 9:07 PM
I believe you request a new one and pay for it. IIRC that's what I did when I bought my first rifle.

bmwjnky
04-19-2011, 9:13 PM
Just tell them your wallet was lost/stolen and you need a new DL/ID card. You will have to pay a replacement fee but its only about $15.

CalBear
04-19-2011, 9:15 PM
When I went to the DMV, they said I didn't need a new card, but I told them I wanted one, paid, got my photo taken, and got it in the mail eons later.

IrishPirate
04-19-2011, 9:22 PM
always say you lost it. If not, they'll hole punch your current one and you can't use it ANYWHERE! All of a sudden, you're not your age anymore just because you didn't pay a fee......gets really old, really fast!!!

your ID will still prove you are who you say you are. If the address isn't right, you'll just need 2 utility bills for your purchase.

Riflelover
04-19-2011, 9:25 PM
Most places will still accept it with the hole punched even though they arent really allowed to. As long as you also carry your temporary license with you.

This happened right before my 21st birthday and most people didnt even notice the whole punch, and if they did I just popped out the temporary one and everything was good.

DannyInSoCal
04-19-2011, 9:33 PM
AAA issues the brown card...

G17GUY
04-19-2011, 9:33 PM
You can get a address change card at the DMV for free. Its a little piece of card-stock, you put your new address on it and the DMV stamps it. Just carry it with your ID.

Go to the DMV and tell them you need proof of address change.

707electrician
04-19-2011, 9:38 PM
You can get a address change card at the DMV for free. Its a little piece of card-stock, you put your new address on it and the DMV stamps it. Just carry it with your ID.

Go to the DMV and tell them you need proof of address change.

I thought the brown card couldn't be used for firearms purchases anymore.

Anyway, I a change of address and they didn't even give me a brown card. Said that it only changes in the system

ke6guj
04-19-2011, 10:07 PM
I thought the brown card couldn't be used for firearms purchases anymore.

It depends on the FFL, and what his ATF auditor has told him. Some FFLs have been told that the brown card is not acceptable, while others haven't. One FFL has a letter into ATF to try to get an official answer from them.

G17GUY
04-19-2011, 10:57 PM
The brown card is proof that you have changed your address with the DMV.

G1500
04-19-2011, 11:01 PM
You know how often some people change their addresses? some would have moved again before they receive their new ID.

If it really bothers you, get another ID. I have been successful in using a current ID, and a ATV Title.

chaseface
04-20-2011, 6:25 AM
When I moved recently I had a valid drivers license but it didnt reflect my new address yet, and I didnt have a utility bill in my name yet. My FFL was really cool and let me use (in addition to my license) a copy of my renters lease agreement, and change of address paperwork from the Post Office (government entity) for proof of residency when purchasing a handgun.

Vash357
04-20-2011, 7:13 AM
The last 3 guns I bought was with the wrong address on my drivers license, I just used my car registration as proof of residency. Depends on the shop though, the first place I went to swore up and down that for handgun purchases the address on the card needed to be current, even if I had other residency things with me, second shop didn't have a problem and got my business for the next few transaction.

tenpercentfirearms
04-20-2011, 8:54 AM
Vehicle registration will work for both handguns and long guns. While at the DMV, ask for a printout and that suffice for just long guns until you get a new license with the address on it.

For the Federal requirement you simply need a government issued document.

For the state handgun requirement you need the utility bill, government issued document with expiration date or period of validity and a few others.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=327217&highlight=cheat

meaty-btz
04-20-2011, 9:25 AM
Wow, now I really can't buy a firearm in california.

No utillity bills (paid as part of rent).
No phone bill (use cell phone).
Moved just 2 weeks ago.
New place is through a friend of the family and I pay her some cash to help cover util/internet and help on the property so no lease agreement.

I am the un-resident resident of california.. wheeeeeeeee.
I love this state......

tenpercentfirearms
04-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Wow, now I really can't buy a firearm in california.

No utillity bills (paid as part of rent).
No phone bill (use cell phone).
Moved just 2 weeks ago.
New place is through a friend of the family and I pay her some cash to help cover util/internet and help on the property so no lease agreement.

I am the un-resident resident of california.. wheeeeeeeee.
I love this state......

What address does your driver's license say? Why can't you put that anymore?

Second, you don't own a vehicle? Vehicle registration suffices.

Quite making excuses! Go buy a gun.

G1500
04-20-2011, 11:33 AM
What address does your driver's license say? Why can't you put that anymore?

Second, you don't own a vehicle? Vehicle registration suffices.

Quite making excuses! Go buy a gun.

My vehicle isn't registered to me, so I went out and bought a motorcycle so I could have the title and registration in order to buy a gun.

Ok, that's not the reason I bought it, but it is a good reason to buy something. :D

meaty-btz
04-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Moved, new address old license, invalid.
I do have car registration but it lists the old address.

G1500
04-20-2011, 11:41 AM
A license with an old address is still a valid license, it just has the incorrect address. Moving does not invalidate your address.

You should also change the address on your vehicle registration.

GetRipped
04-20-2011, 11:51 AM
I just purchased a shotgun at Turners and my old address was listed on my ID. I just had to bring my car registration with the new address.

EDIT: They even let me make the deposit without it and bring it in when I paid it off.

Ubermcoupe
04-20-2011, 11:57 AM
The brown change of address card is valid (with submitted change of address form to DMV) for driving, etc.

However, it is not valid for 4473.

DMV made me pay for my new one. :(
it gave them the opportunity to finally update my info though! :)

G1500
04-20-2011, 11:58 AM
I just purchased a shotgun at Turners and my old address was listed on my ID. I just had to bring my car registration with the new address.

EDIT: They even let me make the deposit without it and bring it in when I paid it off.

The shop does not care if you make a deposit or pay for the gun on layaway, most shops just want your money. If you paid for a gun on layaway, and come to find out you cannot purchase the firearm for whatever reason, you would have to be issued some kind of refund, most likely with a 15% restocking fee or some kind of BS.

tenpercentfirearms
04-20-2011, 1:51 PM
No one cares about you making a deposit on an item if you cannot buy it.

If you come in and don;t have the paperwork, they are going to pull some BS policy and charge you a restocking fee or something. Ultimately, you are going to be the one who loses if you cannot provide paperwork.

Clearly he cared. He didn't want that gun to get away and he was appreciative of them working with him while he got his crap together.

There was no BS and everything went smooth. Why do you have to jump on this guy?

G1500
04-20-2011, 1:59 PM
Clearly he cared. He didn't want that gun to get away and he was appreciative of them working with him while he got his crap together.

There was no BS and everything went smooth. Why do you have to jump on this guy?

Sorry, That's not how I meant for it to come out. I understand why he would want to pay for something to guarantee it, what I meant to say a gun shop doesn't care if you make a deposit on a gun or pay for a gun in full before you do all the paperwork, because ultimately they have your money. If you fail to provide paperwork, they still have your money, if you need to refund your gun, they will most likely charge you a restocking fee, or something. Who knows though, the shop could be a respected shop and refund all of the money in a situation where the customer could not make the purchase.

I didn't mean for that to come off as an attack on anyone.

Vipersx911
04-20-2011, 3:11 PM
Simply all it takes is 5 minutes at the DMV and you fill out the card for the change of address, MAKE SURE THEY STAMP THE CARD. Than it is valid for the FFL to take and has all your correct information. That is of course if you dont have any of the other possible forms of documentation, yet for my specific circumstance this option was the best one for me and was a piece of cake to accomplish.

halifax
04-21-2011, 4:24 AM
Simply all it takes is 5 minutes at the DMV and you fill out the card for the change of address, MAKE SURE THEY STAMP THE CARD. Than it is valid for the FFL to take and has all your correct information. That is of course if you dont have any of the other possible forms of documentation, yet for my specific circumstance this option was the best one for me and was a piece of cake to accomplish.

Not always. There are FFLs on here who have been specifically told NO to the brown cards by their ATF inspectors.

Legasat
04-21-2011, 6:51 AM
The "EASY" way is just to tell them you lost your DL. Get a new one...

I'm just sayin...

tenpercentfirearms
04-21-2011, 9:58 AM
Simply all it takes is 5 minutes at the DMV and you fill out the card for the change of address, MAKE SURE THEY STAMP THE CARD. Than it is valid for the FFL to take and has all your correct information.

My ATF auditor and her regional boss told me the opposite that this is not acceptable. However, if you are taking your time to go to the DMV, have them print out your DMV printout that shows the address and that is legit.

IllTemperedCur
04-21-2011, 10:03 AM
If you only have a DL with the old address, go to DMV and get an ID card for about $10. When I last renewed my DL, I also got an ID card, all at the same time. When I travel I keep the ID card in my checked baggage as insurance against losing my wallet.

Back in '02, I was in NYC and I lost my wallet with my only photo ID on the train to Newark the day before I was to fly back to CA. Being just a few months after 9/11, there was no way in hell that I was going to be allowed onto my return flight. Luckily, someone found it and gave it to the conductor, who called my work number on my business cards. The wallet ended up going to Washington DC before being handed off to the northbound train conductor, who met me at Newark Penn Station late that night. Taught me that having another ID is essential when travelling.

MustangGreg66
05-13-2011, 11:51 AM
So is your address you put on the form checked against anything?

I'm in the situation that I've lived at home forever, still split time there, the guns stay there, that address is still my DMV mailing address, car registration is still listed as there. BUT I just changed my address of residence with DMV to a new place I'm staying at... but I don't have any proof... Could I use the old home address on the form? Or would it bouce back? What's it checked against?