PDA

View Full Version : 338 Federal

ivanimal
11-17-2006, 10:25 AM
I dont get excited about any of the new short fat rounds, Mainly because I like a chambering that has a common parent cartridge, like 30-06 or 308. That is why the new round created by Federal cartidge company has me very excited. It is created by necking a 308 up to 338. It has been widely posted that I am in the market for a 358 winchester rifle either lever action or carbine. I will probably drop that quest and get one of these chamberings instead. The ballistics are unreal for a non magnum non short fat round! This is Federals first attempt at a new cartridge, I think its a winner for hunters. Look for yourself and see what I am so happy about.

http://hunting.about.com/od/deerbiggame/a/338federal.htm

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/new_products/GAnewammo_021406B.jpgFederal's new short .338 in two loadings generates more power than the .308 (far right, for comparison).

Picture from guns and ammo

ohsmily
11-17-2006, 10:34 AM
I ask the same question about this as I do about any new cartridge that comes out. What will this cartridge do that a number of other catridges already established on the market can do just as well, better, or very close to what this new round can do.

JPN6336
11-17-2006, 10:36 AM
I like it because using the same bolt face and (I believe) magazine any .308 rifle including AR-10s and M1As could be easily converted for an even harder hitting round.

ivanimal
11-17-2006, 10:42 AM
I ask the same question about this as I do about any new cartridge that comes out. What will this cartridge do so much better that a number of other catridges already established on the market can do just as well, better, or very close to what this new round can do.

You get Magnum performance without Magnum recoil. You get a short action therefore a shorter rifle, which is what I am looking for. You could hunt anything in North America with this. It out performs anything I have seen that is not a magnum. I can use really heavy projectiles, which I like. The parent cartridge is 308, AVAILABLE. I am sure there is more.

Fjold
11-17-2006, 12:14 PM
You get Magnum performance without Magnum recoil. You get a short action therefore a shorter rifle, which is what I am looking for. You could hunt anything in North America with this. It out performs anything I have seen that is not a magnum. I can use really heavy projectiles, which I like. The parent cartridge is 308, AVAILABLE. I am sure there is more.

I dunno about magnum performance without magnum recoil. What the 338 Fed does is give you performance between the 308 Win and the 358 Win, nothing more, nothing less.

The 300 WSM case is common as dirt now and the basis for about about eight other cartridges from 223 WSSM up to the 325 WSM. That is as close to magnum performance as the short actions get.

The only way to get magnum performance in the .338 bore, is to buy a 338 Magnum (Win Mag, Lapua, Dakota, etc.)

ivanimal
11-17-2006, 1:41 PM
I dunno about magnum performance without magnum recoil. What the 338 Fed does is give you performance between the 308 Win and the 358 Win, nothing more, nothing less.

The 300 WSM case is common as dirt now and the basis for about about eight other cartridges from 223 WSSM up to the 325 WSM. That is as close to magnum performance as the short actions get.

The only way to get magnum performance in the .338 bore, is to buy a 338 Magnum (Win Mag, Lapua, Dakota, etc.)

True except that I already own enough 308 brass to cover a small army, I am trying to not reinvent the wheel, so to speak. I have had a problem finding a rifle I like in 358, so initially there may be a rifle I like in this chambering. That is wht I am excited.

Oh, and as I said I like heavy projectiles. Most animals dont go far after they get hit with those. They are bone crushers.

Fjold
11-17-2006, 1:56 PM
True except that I already own enough 308 brass to cover a small army, I am trying to not reinvent the wheel, so to speak. I have had a problem finding a rifle I like in 358, so initially there may be a rifle I like in this chambering. That is wht I am excited.

Oh, and as I said I like heavy projectiles. Most animals dont go far after they get hit with those. They are bone crushers.

Those are all valid reasons and I like heavy bullets also.

My heavy gun is a 375 H&H magnum shooting the 300 grain Barnes TSX. :D

ivanimal
11-17-2006, 3:40 PM
Those are all valid reasons and I like heavy bullets also.

My heavy gun is a 375 H&H magnum shooting the 300 grain Barnes TSX. :D

Allow me to bow in your presence.:o

Oh great one..........

ivanimal
11-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Well I found an article that has the new rifles chambered in the 338 Federal.

http://glarp.atk.com/Featured_Articles/pdf/338JournalSpread.pdf

That is the good news. The bad news is I found a rifle I think will be perfect for it. It is also chambered in 358 Winchester. My original caliber of choice.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/280L.jpg

I think I will wait to see if a lever action gets chambered for it before I go out and buy one. I need a left handed version anyhow.

triaged
11-25-2006, 9:48 AM
What about taking your pick of any LH Savage and putting a 338 barrel on it?

If you want it in scout style I think you can still get the scope mount from them.

ivanimal
11-25-2006, 9:56 AM
That is a great idea! I absolutely love the accutrigger. My goal here is to have a light and powerful rifle for short range hunting. I have plenty of road hunting guns. I want one for long stalks out in the thick bush. Right now I use a 45-70 lever action and it is a bit much for California deer and Bear.

triaged
11-25-2006, 10:22 AM
If you are close you can borrow my wrench. Is the shoulder in the same spot as all the other 308win based rounds? If so you can borrow my go/no-go gages too...if you pick up a Savage in 22-250 maybe we could work something out in trade for the barrel. I think there are already a few people on www.savageshooters.com with 338fed. barrels.

ivanimal
11-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Funny the only savage I have is in 22-250, I love thet rifle. I am going to wait a little while and see what gives. I really want a lever action in this caliber. If I dont have any success maybe I will take you up on the offer.

Hunter
11-25-2006, 1:53 PM
You get Magnum performance without Magnum recoil. .....

Unless they have changed the laws of physics, if you have the same conditions and the same energy produced, you are going to get the same recoil energy, "magnum" or not label.

ivanimal
11-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Many magnums and even non magnums like the 30-06 are overbore, meaning that the powder is not fully spent by the time the bullet leaves the barrel, this internal ballistic waste just adds to the recoil of a gun without adding to the energy gain. Finding a balance is what the 308 did that the 30-06 could not, by adding diameter and greater pressure resistance these new cartriges have taken the efficiency one step further. I am not saying we have defied the laws of gravity and physics. I am just saying we now get a better return for the same recoil. Magmum performance without magnum (overbore) recoil. That is how it has been explained to me. The ballistics seem to support it as well.

Californio
03-05-2007, 7:28 PM
So has anyone fired a rifle in 338 Federal yet?

Matt C
03-05-2007, 7:38 PM
The 338 winmag works great for me, but if you are recoil sensitive this could really be the thing.

Californio
03-05-2007, 7:51 PM
I was thinking of a short action/short barrel/lite carbine/ brush gun for hunting the 300lb California Hog out to 75 yards no need for the magnum or scope but would like the big bullet.

Rumpled
03-05-2007, 8:06 PM
I'm always hesitant to get a brand new cartridge.
Kinda betamx/VHS, blueray/whatever, PS3/Xbox

Lota new calibers recently .204 Ruger, .500 S&W, .460 XVR?, .480 Ruger, What's the Hornady one?

I'll wait on most of them

ie. Anybody got an .41AE??

artherd
03-05-2007, 9:07 PM
I like the .338 Lapua Mag.