PDA

View Full Version : The Most Popular AR LOWER Finish

cornholio1
11-17-2006, 8:53 AM
I noticed that a lot of lowers look the same but have different finishes. Some are teflon and some are parkerized. Whats the most popular and durable finish? What about anodizing it? Also how does duracoat stand up to it? Thanks

Hunter
11-17-2006, 8:57 AM
I noticed that a lot of lowers look the same but have different finishes. Some are teflon and some are parkerized. Whats the most popular and durable finish? What about anodizing it? Also how does duracoat stand up to it? Thanks

Actually none are parkerized since they are aluminum (only steel can be parkerized). Both Teflon coated and Annodized receivers are the two primary finishes.

elsolo
11-17-2006, 8:58 AM
The most popular is hard anodizing.
Some are Teflon coated over the hard anodizing.

cornholio1
11-17-2006, 9:04 AM
Actually none are parkerized since they are aluminum (only steel can be parkerized). Both Teflon coated and Annodized receivers are the two primary finishes.

SO this is mislabeled?

http://ddsranch.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=176&products_id=549&osCsid=909e761b0229a9bf4b452b797cc8b1f0

proraptor
11-17-2006, 9:06 AM
I have handled Stag, RRA, Mega, CMMG lowers and the CMMG has the nicest finish out of all of them with the mega coming in second...The RRA and stag are rough and feel like a chalkboard...

elsolo
11-17-2006, 10:04 AM
SO this is mislabeled?

http://ddsranch.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=176&products_id=549&osCsid=909e761b0229a9bf4b452b797cc8b1f0

Yes, that is mislabeled.
It is quite common for people to incorrectly refer to any dark passivated surface finish as "parkerized".

Fjold
11-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Parkerizing (also called phosphating and phosphatizing) is a method of protecting a steel surface from corrosion and increasing its resistance to wear through the application of an electrochemical conversion coating. Parkerizing is usually considered to be an improved zinc or manganese phosphating process, and not to be an improved iron phosphating process, although some use the term parkerizing as a generic term for applying phosphating (or phosphatizing) coatings that does include the iron phosphating process. Parkerizing is commonly used on firearms as a more effective alternative to bluing, which is another electrochemical conversion coating that was developed earlier. The Parkerizing process cannot be used on non-ferrous metals such as aluminum, brass, or copper. It similarly cannot be applied to steels containing a large amount of nickel, or on stainless steel.

pklin1297
11-17-2006, 10:38 AM
SO this is mislabeled?

The Mega (I have one) is hard anodized and coated with Teflon on top of that, not parkerized. Haven't handled a CMMG but the Mega's finish is very nice.

ocabj
11-17-2006, 10:39 AM
I don't know the difference of the various finishes on commercial ARs, but I've always liked the Colt finish. Very resistant to wear. No scratches in 14 years (except for a couple small ones on the inside edges after Dremel'ing out the sear block).

Picture from when I installed the Geissele trigger:

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery/albums/geissele_coltlp/IMG_4466_altered.sized.jpg

slick_711
11-17-2006, 10:51 AM
I have handled Stag, RRA, Mega, CMMG lowers and the CMMG has the nicest finish out of all of them with the mega coming in second...The RRA and stag are rough and feel like a chalkboard...

I'd agree with that out of the box, but I applied a single coat of gun oil to my RRA lower and rubbed it around then wiped off the excess, and since then it has had & held a silky black finish just as nice as any other lower Ive seen. I'd venture to say RRA just doesn't "beautify" their lowers before they get shipped out. I don't personally have a Stag but I've handled a number of them as well, all with nice finishes, so I'd assume they are similar.

proraptor
11-17-2006, 1:31 PM
I'd agree with that out of the box, but I applied a single coat of gun oil to my RRA lower and rubbed it around then wiped off the excess, and since then it has had & held a silky black finish just as nice as any other lower Ive seen. I'd venture to say RRA just doesn't "beautify" their lowers before they get shipped out. I don't personally have a Stag but I've handled a number of them as well, all with nice finishes, so I'd assume they are similar.

I also have handled a well oiled RRA and the finish is still rough compared to a CMMG....I didnt even have to oil the CMMG and it was smoother than the oiled RRA...

Richieboy
11-17-2006, 1:38 PM
Im stuck between a Lauer and a CMMG lower. Which has the better finish?

DANGERCLOSE
11-19-2006, 6:16 PM
cmmg, my 2 cents.

SemiAutoSam
11-19-2006, 6:21 PM
IMHO either the colt Factory or the Titanium / Vandium look of my billet KT Ord receiver.

Im not famaliar with the other AR types as I dont live near any FFL'S that deal in them.

1hotshooter
11-19-2006, 7:03 PM
Out of the Box ....

**POF - No question about it **

If you are going for this look, then Mega, CMMG & DoubleStar

LMT & Lauer are very nice middle of the road, not too dark or shiny, altho some people say they look purplish (?) in the sunlight

The RRA & Stag look unfinished before oiling, same with Noveske

stator
11-19-2006, 7:34 PM
What you want is MIL-A-8625E Type III Anodizing which is a specific hard anodizing. You want this whether it is painted with a teflon type finish afterwards or not. You do not want MIL-A-8625E Type I or IB which is standard anodizing.

MIL-A-8625E are so common that many platters/anodizers are certified. So, chances are, your lower was done by an anodizer who was certified. But your lower was not specifically done for MIL-SPEC, so it cannot be "MIL-SPEC".

Some vendors hide behind this and therefore will not say nothing other than no commerical AR lower is "MIL-SPEC". Ask them if it is hard anodized, and if so, ask them to what thickness for both penetration below the surface and built on top. One does not just go to the anodizer and say "hard anodize this please". One will be required to specify the thickness and finishing.

You will find that getting straight-up answers out of the vendors is sorta like trying to pull teeth out of a wild pig... elusive. Also, check the finishing differences between the outside and inside of the magwell. Also check for signs of overspray inside the mag well opposite of the opening for the mag catch. You will also start to realize there is more going on here than just MIL-A-8625E.

cornholio1
11-19-2006, 8:13 PM
What you want is MIL-A-8625E Type III Anodizing which is a specific hard anodizing. You want this whether it is painted with a teflon type finish afterwards or not. You do not want MIL-A-8625E Type I or IB which is standard anodizing.

MIL-A-8625E are so common that many platters/anodizers are certified. So, chances are, your lower was done by an anodizer who was certified. But your lower was not specifically done for MIL-SPEC, so it cannot be "MIL-SPEC".

Some vendors hide behind this and therefore will not say nothing other than no commerical AR lower is "MIL-SPEC". Ask them if it is hard anodized, and if so, ask them to what thickness for both penetration below the surface and built on top. One does not just go to the anodizer and say "hard anodize this please". One will be required to specify the thickness and finishing.

You will find that getting straight-up answers out of the vendors is sorta like trying to pull teeth out of a wild pig... elusive. Also, check the finishing differences between the outside and inside of the magwell. Also check for signs of overspray inside the mag well opposite of the opening for the mag catch. You will also start to realize there is more going on here than just MIL-A-8625E.

What about Type II black anodizing with a polymer finish?

-hanko
11-19-2006, 10:04 PM
What about Type II black anodizing with a polymer finish?
Types I and II are typically for decorative applications. I'd wonder why the maker didn't use Type III. I'd also pass on a Type II anodized lower.

-hanko

cornholio1
11-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Types I and II are typically for decorative applications. I'd wonder why the maker didn't use Type III. I'd also pass on a Type II anodized lower.

-hanko

Can you guys recommend a place that will do hard anodizing type III with the normal black color os AR lowers? Thanks

The Professional
11-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Parkerized (like what others said)

bwiese
11-20-2006, 11:58 AM
At least the interior is also coated with something called "Dry Film Lubricant" by Sanderson.

cornholio1
11-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Parkerized (like what others said)

I don't think you know what your talking about.