PDA

View Full Version : A Brady dream come true: 3 injured in accidental Texas school shooting

Southwest Chuck
04-19-2011, 2:46 PM
The Brady camp is going to jump all over this.
Unfortunately, this just happened. Saw it on Fox News an hour ago. It happened in Houston Texas today. A kindergartner brought a handgun to school to show classmates. He/she dropped it and it went off injuring three other kids. Sad situation and very negligent on the parents part, IMO. :mad: It's incidents like this that give the Brady Campaign fodder to promote further gun restrictions and a literal "it's for the children" excuse.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/04/19/3-injured-in-accidental-texas-school-shooting

Ergo the Qualmed
04-19-2011, 2:50 PM
How the devil does this keep happening?! I seem to have heard of quite a few show and tell + drop = bang stories.

Better not have been an NAA mini...

Why can't parents get their shiz together!?

sanjosebmx
04-19-2011, 3:03 PM
I heard that on the radio this AM. I was complaining because the newsie kept saying 'the gun accidently went off' and I was saying .."guns are negligently discharged.." etc..

but maybe it did 'accedently discharge' .. anyway it was negligently stored...

949S_GP100
04-19-2011, 3:04 PM
6yr old brings gun to schools gun falls out of back pack discharges injuring 3 kids.... This is great watch he gun control people come out of the wood work. What kind of responsible person has a loaded weapon accessible to 6 yr olds.....The real enemy of the 2nd amendment is retarded gun owners.

Ergo the Qualmed
04-19-2011, 3:06 PM
It really is tragic. And I also really hate negligent folks like that.

:dupe:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=422948

Sorreh...

ken worth
04-19-2011, 3:09 PM
It must have been an old gun. I havn't heard what kind of gun it was.I thought that a modern gun would not go off just by being dropped. Am I wrong?

jdberger
04-19-2011, 3:09 PM
Bullcrap it went off when dropped.

The Kinder pulled the trigger. When it went bang they dropped it.

I'm not quite sure what leverage the Bradys would get from this.

Did the Kinder get the gun at a gun show without a background check?
Did the Kinder get the gun from an unscrupulous FFL?
Did they somehow evade a "cooling off" period?
Were they legally carrying with a CCW?
Did the gun have an "assault clip"?

We've laws that provide for the prosecution of parents who allow their children access to dangerous instruments. California already provides for penalties. We also have child neglect laws.

However, given that guns are "attractive nuisances", how about we give people positive incentives to lock them up? Taxpayer funded incentives, for instance? Buy a gun and get a $25 voucher for a small handgun safe, or a $200 voucher for a full sized lockable gun cabinet? You can even target the voucher system toward American Made products to encourage industry.

It's a win-win. Guns get locked up so kids won't have access and gun owners get a measure of safety from theft.

As a final comment - anyone wanna bet that the Bradys don't call for the prosecution of the adult who was so lazy and irresponsible they left a loaded handgun around where a 4 year old could access it?

gunn
04-19-2011, 3:13 PM
However, given that guns are "attractive nuisances", how about we give people positive incentives to lock them up? Taxpayer funded incentives, for instance? Buy a gun and get a $25 voucher for a small handgun safe, or a $200 voucher for a full sized lockable gun cabinet? You can even target the voucher system toward American Made products to encourage industry.

It's a win-win. Guns get locked up so kids won't have access and gun owners get a measure of safety from theft.

Q: How would your proposed voucher program work? Would there be exceptions for those of us who already own safes or would I end up as many useless handgun safes as I do firearm locks?

Making more laws isn't going to address the issue. ENFORCING the ones we already have, like those that deal with child negligence, is a much better idea.

J.D.Allen
04-19-2011, 3:14 PM
As a final comment - anyone wanna bet that the Bradys don't call for the prosecution of the adult who was so lazy and irresponsible they left a loaded handgun around where a 4 year old could access it?

Taking that bet would be stupid. But I would be willing to bet that they do call for the prosecution of all gun owners nationwide, by means of more restrictions and bans.

This child's parents need to be punished severely.

J.D.Allen
04-19-2011, 3:14 PM
Q: How would your proposed voucher program work? Would there be exceptions for those of us who already own safes or would I end up as many useless handgun safes as I do firearm locks?

Making more laws isn't going to address the issue. ENFORCING the ones we already have, like those that deal with child negligence, is a much better idea.

Pity sarcasm doesn't read well on internet posts...he was being facetious.

CSACANNONEER
04-19-2011, 3:15 PM
This is exactly why I am so pro teaching gun safety in school instead of trying to pretend that guns do not exist or that these inanimate objects are somehow too dangerous to touch. If this kid knew a little bit about firearms safety, this probably would not have happened.

jdberger
04-19-2011, 3:15 PM

I'd be thrilled to discuss this in another thread.

I know that I could always use another safe. They all fill up so quickly.

jdberger
04-19-2011, 3:17 PM
Pity sarcasm doesn't read well on internet posts...he was being facetious.

No. Not really. I usually end facetious comments with ....

Again, I'd be happy to flesh this out in another thread.

Ergo the Qualmed
04-19-2011, 3:19 PM
This is exactly why I am so pro teaching gun safety in school instead of trying to pretend that guns do not exist or that these inanimate objects are somehow too dangerous to touch. If this kid knew a little bit about firearms safety, this probably would not have happened.

This is actually my conviction as well. One of, if not the, primary reasons I formed my club.

Pretending guns don't exist is wrong, you've got to acknowledge and teach about it.

J.D.Allen
04-19-2011, 3:19 PM
No. Not really. I usually end facetious comments with ....

Again, I'd be happy to flesh this out in another thread.

Well then color me surprised that you came up with a bad idea.

shocknm
04-19-2011, 3:21 PM
Obviously a CA Off List pistol. Would've never passed the drop test. (That's sarcasim)

press1280
04-19-2011, 3:35 PM
The Brady camp is going to jump all over this.
Unfortunately, this just happened. Saw it on Fox News an hour ago. It happened in Houston Texas today. A kindergartner brought a handgun to school to show classmates. He/she dropped it and it went off injuring three other kids. Sad situation and very negligent on the parents part, IMO. :mad: It's incidents like this that give the Brady Campaign fodder to promote further gun restrictions and a literal "it's for the children" excuse.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/04/19/3-injured-in-accidental-texas-school-shooting

I'm not sure if the Bradys could make much hay out of this(they may still try). This happened at school, a "gun free" zone that apparently couldn't keep a 6 year old from bringing a gun in. Also, they may try to somehow link this to CCWers having accidental discharges, which doesn't add up since no one is advocating for 6 year olds getting CCWs.

Dark Mod
04-19-2011, 3:37 PM

I doubt he meant you MUST purchase a safe with every firearm purchase, more like you get a sweet $20 off coupon when you buy a gun if you CHOOSE to buy a safe. Or am i not understanding something

How is giving a discount on a safe making you buy a million worthless safes?

mosinnagantm9130
04-19-2011, 3:38 PM
Talk about irresponsible parenting.

J.D.Allen
04-19-2011, 3:38 PM
I doubt he meant you MUST purchase a safe with every firearm purchase, more like you get a sweet $20 off coupon when you buy a gun if you CHOOSE to buy a safe. Or am i not understanding something

Safes aren't the answer. Education is.

jdberger
04-19-2011, 3:51 PM

How is giving a discount on a safe making you buy a million worthless safes?

nailed it.

jdberger
04-19-2011, 3:54 PM

agreed.

Just like neither condoms nor abstinence is the only answer.

However....isn't it nice to have options?

And no matter how well educated my 4 year old is, it doesn't hurt anyone for me to have a safe.

It's not marketed as a panacea. It's simply a defensive layer.

Southwest Chuck
04-19-2011, 3:57 PM

This ^^^

When they were young,(6 and 4) I showed both my sons my handgun after making it safe. I lectured them of what a gun was and what it could do and why I had one. I let them hold it ( to remove their curiosity). I put it back in my combo lock box and put it back next to my bed in front of them (to remove their curiosity of what was inside of it). I then told them that if they so much as touched that box they would receive the spanking of their life. Neither of them had any interest in it from that point on.

More education came about over the years with different types of firearms. Both are in college now, and are gun enthusiasts.

G60
04-19-2011, 3:58 PM
Nobody sees how the bradys could use this to argue in their favor?
You do know the end goal of the Brady campaign is to ban all privately owned firearms.
This is 'just another reason guns should be banned'

N6ATF
04-19-2011, 4:02 PM
I hope the Bradys are wearing anti-slip Wellington boots, wouldn't want them to fall and break their bones from dancing in the blood of innocents. :rolleyes:

Caladain
04-19-2011, 4:10 PM
Gun went bang into the floor, i'm guessing he pulled the trigger (or he "dropped it"). Fox is reporting that the injuries were a couple minor cuts from floor tile shrapnel, not from bullets.

Super Spy
04-19-2011, 4:18 PM
I bet it had "The shoulder thing that goes up"...no wonder it was so dangerous. I heard they got it from the same gun store that supplies the cartel.

Wernher von Browning
04-19-2011, 4:33 PM
I bet it had "The shoulder thing that goes up"...no wonder it was so dangerous. I heard they got it from the same gun store that supplies the cartel.

Actually a BATF agent "walked" it to the toddler's home and hid it in his playpen.

They wanted to see where it wound up.

Now they know.

Rich Keagy
04-19-2011, 6:00 PM
And the same parents send their kids to swimming classes.

hornswaggled
04-19-2011, 6:02 PM
Those parents need to get some responsibility beat into them. Their stupidity is jeopardizing the rights of all of us.

Crom
04-19-2011, 6:39 PM
Parents of kid with gun should be prosecuted and an example made.

Glock22Fan
04-19-2011, 8:04 PM

Well, I suspect that they will sue the gunmakers for making a gun that a six year old can conceal well enough to take to school.

And no, I'm not joking.

scarville
04-19-2011, 8:27 PM
Don't you think that should wait until it has been established where the kid got the gun?

safewaysecurity
04-19-2011, 8:36 PM
The Brady Campaign is already on this. I saw them post it on their facebook page. But isn't it a gun free zone? Hmm...

ErikTheRed
04-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Couple things...

First, since we have no idea at this point how or where the child obtained the gun, I'm not ready to string the parents up by the ankles just yet. Secondly, for those of you wondering how the Brady Bunch might use this to their advantage and citing "no logical reason" for them to do so, please be reminded that "logic" has absolutely nothing to do with the promotion of gun control. The Brady Bunch nor any liberal democrats have done anything logical in 50 years. Logic is not necessary to persuade the emotional.

Funtimes
04-20-2011, 1:44 AM
Calling BS on the gun dropping and going off. The kid shot it I bet. I would *LOVE* To figure out what brand / model it was.