PDA

View Full Version : AK-Help: Drilling gas port on AK barrel

jtyoshi
11-17-2006, 12:45 AM
Picked up a NEW yugo m70 Underfolder parts kit.
Only pitfall was the barrel was not tapped. Anyone know how to do it or a SoCal Gunsmith that can do it. Also any gunsmiths that are OLL friendly that can press the barrel and head gauge it.
Thanks for the help.

Product info:
Kits have never been assembled.
Barrel is not pressed in trunnion.
Front & rear trunnions have not been bored for pins.
Gas ports have not been bored in barrels.
Kit is completely disassembled.
Virgin M70 stamped underfolder parts kit.
7.62x39 caliber.
New parts.

Builder
11-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Picked up a NEW yugo m70 Underfolder parts kit.
Only pitfall was the barrel was not tapped. Anyone know how to do it or a SoCal Gunsmith that can do it. Also any gunsmiths that are OLL friendly that can press the barrel and head gauge it. Thanks for the help.
Product info:
Kits have never been assembled.
Barrel is not pressed in trunnion.
Front & rear trunnions have not been bored for pins.
Gas ports have not been bored in barrels.
Kit is completely disassembled.I'm in about the same position as you but with an RPK. Since there hasn't been any response so far, here's what I've found. Pressing the barrel into the trunion is not too difficult with a press. I did it on my PSL. The barrel depth into the trunion is set by the headspacing. So if you don't find an ak assembler, you can do it with a set of headspacing guages. I don't have a set yet. With a disassembled kit (manufacturer set the headspacing), this is so much easier than an unassembled kit. Are you planning on a rivet build? NDS receiver?
The boards talk about putting a rod into the barrel as backup when the gas port is drilled into the barrel (after proper alignment). Does your barrel have the groove for the hand guard? If so, it probably also has the cutout for the extactor. This hand guard groove sets the up and level position. Once the head spacing is set and the trunion/barrel pin grove drilled and installed, the gas block gets positioned by the gas tube length. The pin grooves get drilled into the barrel and pinned. The the gas port gets drilled with the rod in the barrel. I haven't found out how to remove any flashing from around this hole inside the barrel. Supposedly, a similar technique is then used on the front sight. Do you have any of the pins?
Thanks,
Builder

morepoop4u
11-17-2006, 3:21 PM
m70 tutorial
http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28039

how I press the barrel in
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13164

cheers:D

If you have any other questions just pm me.

wayoutwest
11-17-2006, 7:18 PM
I cant recommend any smith in CA let alone SoCal

You will also need to know if the gas port is drilled at a 90' or 45' angle if the front site base is not installed it will need to grooves drilled on the underside for the pins.

The barrel to trunion wont be hard, I would think drilling the pin hole will be difficult unless you have a mill, I would think a regular bit would walk around. remember to drill undersized or ream to size, you need a press in fit.

Just in case you also will need to fix the stock in the open position otherwise you are not long enough.