PDA

View Full Version : Lower receiver price

flooby
11-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Hey guys, does anyone know how much Ammo Bros is selling their lowers for?

Prc329
11-16-2006, 10:53 PM
I believe the stag is $170. I just bought one recently but my receipt is in the safe. I'm going by there tomorrow to get come 357 reloads so if you don't want to call tomorrow I'll post here after I get back for the price.

rorschach
11-17-2006, 1:11 AM
Wow! When I bought mine there in May, they were only 150!!

pklin1297
11-17-2006, 7:32 AM
the convenience of buying lowers in a shop in CA just doesn't balance out the extra cost to me. I bought a Mega lower for $105 online + $10 shipping to FFL in CA + $45 DROS FEE + Taxes and it is only a few dollar more than the base price of getting a lower here, but once you add the DROS fee then it will cost more to get it in CA directly.
I understand we need to support our CA vendors in the fight to keep OLL builds alive, and I have by ordering items from Tenpercent for example, but I will buy my OLL lowers from online, out of state vendors.

Blacktail 8541
11-17-2006, 7:40 AM
I do the same. I buy my lowers from DDsRanch. Very good prices and good selection. But I buy my other parts from a mixture of venders. I will pay a little more to order locally, but not sustantial amounts.

cornholio1
11-17-2006, 7:54 AM
I do the same. I buy my lowers from DDsRanch. Very good prices and good selection. But I buy my other parts from a mixture of venders. I will pay a little more to order locally, but not sustantial amounts.

+1 for DD's. I thought my lower was lost and apparently hes east coast (3 hrs time difference) so I didn;t expect him to be open for business. He went out of his way to call any open posts offices to track the package. He prices are probabaly one of the cheapest too.

proraptor
11-17-2006, 8:09 AM
All lowers that ammo bros sells out the door are $208 that includes everything...Yes they are a little high in price but I hate getting stuff shipped to me...Id rather help out the local businesses.

Prc329
11-17-2006, 8:54 AM
I was buying for DDsranch but the rearest FFL I know of they deal with is in SD. It turned out I am unable to go to SD till after Christmas. So I had to send it back. Plus the cost of going down to SD twice would have actually balanced out what I paid threw Ammo Bros.

Unless someone can PM me with info on an FFL near Long Beach, Ammo Bros is my best choice :)

tenpercentfirearms
11-17-2006, 10:15 AM
I sell them for $170. Sure you can get them cheaper online. After you are done paying for the transfer fee and shipping, the price ends up being pretty close.

The thing about online vendors is they don't have to deal with the DOJ. They don't get their receivers confiscated. They won't help you build your lower for free when you buy the rest of the parts from them. They probably don't know what the lastest information is from the DOJ and they probably don't care if the DOJ does something to screw us.

If you can support your local shop, they are the ones working hard to stay in business so you can keep getting guns.

MilSpec.45
11-17-2006, 10:22 AM
I <3 DD's Ranch.

I would like to support CA vendors, but DD's Ranch is the only place that has my local FFL on file, so thats where I get my lowers. Everything else I try to get local or at least from a CA vendor, but is hard to pass up good out of state deals.

grywlfbg
11-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Wes,

I hear 'ya and believe me, if you had a couple RRA lowers in stock I would've bought from you. But I'm worried about a 12/31/06 listing so didn't want to take a chance on you ordering it. So you'll have to be happy w/ me ordering everything else for the build from 'ya :D

Chris

sv_sniper
11-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Yip, $170-$190 a pop is pretty common. Let's break them down.

OLL itself: about $120 shipped or you can find better offers.
Pay transfer dealer: $30-$50
DROS: $25

Yes, DDS Ranch is cool. Cold War shooter is also good. On Gunbroker.com, there's another sell named "El Guns". Their prices are also good.

Appreciate for those dealers supporting our constitutional rights in California.:)

tenpercentfirearms
11-17-2006, 11:10 AM
If you have a local kitchen FFL that doesn't have a shop and that is it, then go through them. There is nothing wrong with that.

I am just saying if you have a local shop that sells lowers direct, buy from them. I do transfers too so if I don't have the lower you want, you can get it through Cold War Shooters.

I am not saying buy lowers from me and have them transfered. I honestly tell everyone that wants to order one from me and have me ship it to just go to Cold War Shooters because my lowers are priced for local guys. If you are local in the Kern County area, come see me, I will take care of you.

If a guy is charging over $200 plus tax and DROS, then I understand saying the heck with it and going elsewhere.

I guess all I am saying is $170 is pretty fair for the local gun shop that is trying to stay in business and has the risk of getting audited. I try to make it even more fair by offering a quantity discount. That is just me.

M14Gunman
11-17-2006, 11:16 AM
If you can support your local shop, they are the ones working hard to stay in business so you can keep getting guns.

I highly doubt the reason you stay in business is for the noble duty of supplying guns to the public. It probably has something more to do with puting food on the table... :)

It is supply and demand, pure and simple. You fork out the money to buy the receiver in sufficient quantity as to maintain an inventory. Because you are the ONLY FFL within a 80+ mile radius that is willing to do the transfer the supply is very low and the demand is very high. Sure, I can find the same receiver online for a little over $100 but because you wont, the nearest dealer that will transfer the online purchase is in LA. This puts the profit margin close to 100%. So where does that leave local residents? After the $45 transfer fee one will make two trips to LA to save $20? That is not economical. Its better to throw you a $70 bone because you are taking all the risks. I think under the circumstances $170 is a very fair price. I for one am glad we have a local dealer willing to fight with the DOJ and provide a product to the people. Previously I purchased most of my firearms from Second Amendment Sports; a mistake I will never make again. I would rather drive 40 minutes and give my business to someone that will fight for me.

All is fair in war and business... charge what its worth... if you are charging too much no one will buy it. Now I just have to wait for my driver's license to come in the mail. :( (Yes, I'm the guy from the phone)

P.S.
Did you ever get your receivers back from the DOJ?

M14Gunman
11-17-2006, 11:19 AM
I try to make it even more fair by offering a quantity discount. That is just me.

I'm buying 3 receivers... and I have written emails to all my fun buddies and posted on all my bulletin boards that you have them and I am sending everyone in Bakersfield your way....

Does that qualify me for a quantity discount? :)

P.S.
How many people from Bakersfield do you run into?? Coldwarshooters lists you and one guy in Bakersfield but in 3 days he has not returned my calls.

Prc329
11-17-2006, 11:29 AM
I think buying from the local guys is a great experience. I was more or less "forced" to buy local due to my particular location and situation (pregnant sick wife) but the actual experience is very positive.

The last time I was at Ammo Bros the salesman (I forget his name) was very, very helpful. He answered a lot of questions I had. I love there reloads. The .357 magnum is better then the factory winchester I was shooting threw my 1894C. I plan on trying some 223 when I finish my AR.

Blacktail 8541
11-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Wes, if I was local to you I would not have any problems paying you 170.00 for a reciever. By the time I pay shipping and transfer + DROS I'm paying between $165.00 to $185.00 anyway. $25.00 is not a lot of differance when you get personal service and don't normally have to wait to get it shipped to you.

Unfortunately I do not have any local dealers that will stock them. So I go to the place with the best prices and reputation.

M14Gunman
11-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Wes, if I was local to you I would not have any problems paying you 170.00 for a reciever. By the time I pay shipping and transfer + DROS I'm paying between $165.00 to $185.00 anyway. $25.00 is not a lot of differance when you get personal service and don't normally have to wait to get it shipped to you.

Unfortunately I do not have any local dealers that will stock them. So I go to the place with the best prices and reputation.

I don't understand why people get butt hurt over a $70 markup.

When the AR-15 ban went was signed and there was that 6 month period where they could still get purchased Second Amendment Sports INSTANTLY marked up the prices on AR-15s 50%. It sent the prices through the roof to the point that I could not afford to buy one. I tried to buy just a receiver, they refused to do the transfer and did not stock anything BUT full completed rifles.

They followed suit with the .50 caliber ban... I was able to find a local dealer willing to transfer just a receiver.... he wanted "15% of what the full complete rifle would sell for" which came out to about $300.00. By the time I got the money together there were so few stripped receivers left they were going for more than $500... I would have had to pay $800 just for a receiver.

Once again I missed out on buying a weapon about to be banned because FFLs got greedy and marked the stock up 50-100% higher than their standard inflated price. Many times the markup on these things were 200%.

These things will only be available for a limited time. They are the only dealer in the area willing to even sell these things. All considered I think $170 is a very fair price.

1hotshooter
11-17-2006, 8:55 PM
You've got to me kidding me...

I <3 DD's Ranch.

I would like to support CA vendors, but DD's Ranch is the only place that has my local FFL on file, so thats where I get my lowers. Everything else I try to get local or at least from a CA vendor, but is hard to pass up good out of state deals.

All your FFL needs to do is fax me their license ONCE. I think that is simple enough.

Have him call me and I'll add him to my list of FFL dealers if he approves.

We are there for you, at the guns hows, helping you with your lowers, answering ALL your questions about any and all AR in emails, PMs and on the phone. And who are you supporting? :confused:

WokMaster1
11-17-2006, 9:21 PM
You've got to me kidding me...

All your FFL needs to do is fax me their license ONCE. I think that is simple enough.

Have him call me and I'll add him to my list of FFL dealers if he approves.

We are there for you, at the guns hows, helping you with your lowers, answering ALL your questions about any and all AR in emails, PMs and on the phone. And who are you supporting? :confused:

Not a good thing to p#ss off mummy-o!:D

guimus
11-17-2006, 9:53 PM
here's a compromise:

Buy lots of guns and parts from everyone!

I got my lowers from DD's through a local mom'n'pop FFL. I got 4 at once, so it makes much more sense to get them at the lower price since dros fees are spread over the lot. After all taxes and fees and shipping they still came to less than 140/ea out the door.

I've purchases two lpk's, several mags, mag lock, MonsterMan, etc. from Wes.

Whether they are in the business to make a buck or not, they are still both doing a service to me and the shooting community. Wes was championing the OLL's long before most dealers would touch them, and DD's is one of only a few places who will ship lowers to CA despite practically no risk to the suppliers. I hope that all these folks are making some decent money for their efforts!

Tunis
11-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Does anyone know how much SJGE sells their stripped lowers for? Trying to weigh the difference between ordering online vs. buying direct.

PIRATE14
11-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Does anyone know how much SJGE sells their stripped lowers for? Trying to weigh the difference between ordering online vs. buying direct.

Listen......you might find one cheaper but if you go to SJGE they will take care of you......answer all your questions. They've recently had a lot of experience in dealing with the local law and DA, this is worth the price of admission.....take my word.:cool:

stevie
11-18-2006, 6:39 PM
Was doing a PPT today at Ammo Bros. No more Stags in stock, only Double Stars and CMMG, did not catch the price. They currently do not intend to order anymore Stags becasue of possible change in status of the lowers. Thats what they said anyways.

Prc329
11-18-2006, 6:41 PM
$179.99 I bought a CMMG friday. and plan on buying one more. I was down there today as well. Bought an wrench, 10/20 mag and a buttstock.

chickenfried
11-18-2006, 7:00 PM
If that was total out the door, sounds like a pretty good price from a local dealer
$179.99 I bought a CMMG friday. and plan on buying one more. I was down there today as well. Bought an wrench, 10/20 mag and a buttstock.

Prc329
11-18-2006, 7:09 PM
It was $179+dros.

tenpercentfirearms
11-18-2006, 10:28 PM
I got an e-mail from a guy who said, While I can't argue with the other points you make. Please don't try to say your prices are competitive with out of state dealers and using a local ffl. ~$215 out the door is not close to ~$150. It makes you look like a used car salesman.Lets look at the CMMG lowers I have in stock. If you can find them cheaper than $120 in stock, let me know. So add $25-$50 for the transfer and you are right up there with my price, about $180 on the low end and $207.33 on the high end out the door. So while I never claimed I was competitive and actually stated "Sure you can get them cheaper online," it appears I am competitive especially when you factor in the customer service you get out of my shop and the huge selection of parts to finish your firearm. So even though I never said I was competitive, but I did say I was close, I will go ahead and clarify, I am competitive. Thanks for bringing that up for me.

Sure the Spike's Tacticals might be a little high and I use that cushion to cut deals on multiple lowers and just good guy discounts.

Again, if you have a local transfer dealer who has no inventory, doesn't stock other OLL parts, and doesn't have a shop to run, go with them. If you want to finish your rifle and have a guy who has been with you from the beginning on this whole saga, come see me. Honestly there is enough business to go around and everyone serves a different purpose.

Uberdummy
11-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Blah.. I'm still having trouble finding AK prices. Especially from Chris at BSP, always busy when I call.

stevie
11-19-2006, 5:40 AM
A CMMG straight from the source cost me 120 or so before shipping and DROS, I'd call 215.00 out the door a decent price.

1hotshooter
11-19-2006, 6:15 AM
Blah.. I'm still having trouble finding AK prices. Especially from Chris at BSP, always busy when I call.

Did I forget to mention that we are going to begin stocking AK receiver & parts kits?

In-hand at the Costa Mesa show.

:D

1hotshooter
11-19-2006, 6:17 AM
A CMMG straight from the source cost me 120 or so before shipping and DROS, I'd call 215.00 out the door a decent price.

Yes, Wes, sounds like you are competitively priced. :)

PLINK
11-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Did I forget to mention that we are going to begin stocking AK receiver & parts kits?

:D

Sweet, when will they be available on your web site?

Hunter
11-19-2006, 11:08 AM
This subject always seems to come up when the buying picks up. On one hand the various stocking dealers do indeed charge $40-$90 more for exact same receiver than one can find doing a little leg work on the internet. But is that wrong, no way! This is a free market and those that want to save the maximum, then by all means find a local dealer to transfer for minimal fees. Typically a in home/gun show dealer will have your lowest fees, especially for 1-2 recievers. But a big chain store will sometimes do multiples for the same $50 transfer if done at the same time. On the other hand, for those that cannot be bothered to spend the time to investigate prices/sources/dealers/ect. or just like the simple convience to walk in and pay, then paying the extra to 10% or SJGE or CWS or whoever is the price of doing buisness that way. Not to mention that it does keep these guys in business for other needs as well.

Now, if I guy is only buying a single receiver, then $40-$70 maynot be the end of the world to them. But on the other hand, if a guy is buying 2,3,4 ect.. then YES it makes a difference. Buy three at your local shop or take the same money and get four doing it yourself thru a local ffl.

Example, I'm fortunate to know a local FFL dealer for a number of years (12 yrs+) that works out of their home and does the Gunshows scene. Thus their overheads are not that great. Now they will transfer a receiver for $20 for 1 or $10 for each additional one on the same ticket. So when I got three CMMGs from DD Ranchs, the total shipped to the FFL was $341. Add in $40 for transfers($20+2x$10) and $25 Dros cost me $406 out the door or $135 each. On the other hand I could have gone to a storefront dealer and paid 3x$180 + $25 or $565......the difference being the 4th receiver and then some. Or the way I looked at it, the saving more than paid for the 3 build up kits for the receivers.

PIRATE14
11-19-2006, 1:08 PM
If you want one or 10 just buy them at any price........you'll be happy you did five years down the road or sooner...........

These are pieces of BLACK GOLD...............:D

I just paid well over 800 dollars for a complete lower........COLT lower....yes it's off list and not a ELITE.

I might have to hold onto it for a few years but the money is in the BANK:cool:

Tweak338
11-19-2006, 1:26 PM
a colt off-list lower you say?

you need to post a picture of this increadible find

1hotshooter
11-23-2006, 7:20 PM

Nope, UPS didn't deliver - :(

B.J.F.
11-28-2006, 8:50 PM
at Bright Spot were within a couple of dollars between the cost of getting a receiver shipping it to us, an paying the transfer fee compared to buying one from us an paying the dros fee an tax, depends on if you want it now or a few days from then