PDA

View Full Version : Ooooops...

wormtosser
04-18-2011, 7:49 PM
There I was in Turner's on the first day of the Spring sale; sort of eyeballing
.22's. Man shows me a Savage MkII with the thumbhole stock and a heavy blued barrel, says it's on sale. Jokingly, I pointed to next rifle over on the rack, same one but with a stainless heavy barrel, and said "give me that one for the same sale price and I'll take it right now!" Dude whips out his calculator, crunches, looks up, and says "OK!" :eek:

Ooops. I hadn't anticpated this. Worse, I hadn't requested permission from the control tower. I had two seconds to decide - Am I a man? Am I afraid of my wife? Answer to both questions was an emphatic "yes!" so I bought the thing and went home scared. Ooops, I bought rifle. There must be some rule of gun safety there that I failed to memorize. Something about an accidental charge card instead of an accidental discharge. But I digress... Anyway, 10 days passed, I have since paid the price and have done lots of dishes.

HOWEVER, I took the thing out this weekend for a little break in session. Put a Simmons 22 Mag 4x9 32 on it. Grabbed 4 kinds of .22lr from WalMart. Hadn't shot a rifle in 30 years. Walked off 25 yards, set up a target and started sending Remington Golden Bullets down the tube, through the target, into a Sierra foothill hillside. Took all of 10 minutes to get the scope zeroed. Built a makeshift rest out of my pistol case, a jacket and a hat. Laid down in the green gass. A few minutes later I had a 10 round group in 5/8's of an inch, which I have figured as 1.62 MOA if I'm doing it right. Cheap ammo, bad rest, new barrel, shaky shooter and I'm pretty amazed. It was no trouble repeating. Then I did it for the third time, changed ammo to cheapo Remington sub-sonics, which made a tighter group that I didn't measure. Then I shot CCI mini-mags, and as predicted all over the internet, that spread got wider. Then I tried Stingers - and the darn things wouldn't eject. Rifle didn't like them at all. Had to really muscle the bolt to get them pulled. After one 5 round mag, no more of those. Tried out all the others again, no problems at all. Won't shoot those Stingers again. I think the darn Golden Bullets will make some darn fine cheap ammo. Someday I'll try to find some of the good stuff - Lapua, Eley, etc, and see what it will do at a man-sized 50 yard range.

Sorry no pics. Wife still too pissed for me to be photographing guns or targets without landing on the couch for the night. I already gave up booze for Lent (6 days to go!) so I'll be damned if I'll give up a warm bed too.

BTW my pistol shooting went to hell for the first mag afterwards as I forgot to put my glasses back on. Damn that front sight was blurry. Oh yeah...

sk8804
04-18-2011, 7:52 PM
lol, oh well. As long as it was worth it

Saigon1965
04-18-2011, 7:54 PM
Feels good after 30 years huh -

Shere Khan
04-18-2011, 7:55 PM
Congrats, you won.

DougJ
04-18-2011, 7:59 PM
Worse, I hadn't requested permission from the control tower. I had two seconds to decide - Am I a man? Am I afraid of my wife? Answer to both questions was an emphatic "yes!" so I bought the thing and went home scared.

I LOL'ed, heck I'm still LOLing...

Congrats on the rifle, a rimfire is always fun, cheap and a good education.

wormtosser
04-18-2011, 8:01 PM
Feels good after 30 years huh -

That's no kidding! Pistols are fun but it's work, to some extent. This is just pure fun. Gotta say that trigger is pretty sweet too.

sofbak
04-18-2011, 8:21 PM
Better to ask for forgiveness.....lol

congrats on the MK II! Great shooting bolt .22.

Here is what mine does with winchester bulk from wallyworld at 50 yds:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/sofbak/6_shot_group.jpg

Once you get about 500 rounds through it, these MK II's will do this all day long. If you really want to tighten up your groups, try some Wolf Match Target ammo. I never tried any rem, and it doesn't care for any flavor of Fed either. But it loves the win bulk and Wolf MT. Try some and be amazed.

sofbak

wormtosser
04-18-2011, 8:42 PM
That's amazing enough on the bulk stuff. Yeah, I can't wait to get my hands on that Wolf MT. Looks like most Savage shooters on this sight love the stuff.

Funny it seems that centerfire Wolf ammo has a terrible reputation - they won't let you shoot it at American Shooting Center. Is it really the same mfr?

VegasND
04-18-2011, 8:48 PM
Congats on a rifle you're enjoying.

I am somewhat bewildered by the 'requesting pemission fom the contol tower' part though.

wormtosser
04-18-2011, 8:51 PM
Congats on a rifle you're enjoying.

I am somewhat bewildered by the 'requesting pemission fom the contol tower' part though.

Good for you Bro. Next time I'm in Vegas and hear somebody's titanium balls clanking, I'll say hello!

VegasND
04-18-2011, 9:08 PM
Thanks for the complement but I doubt I'm that tough.

I just don't ask the wife's permission when I buy stuff and she doesn't ask mine either. Over the years (decades) of marriage we've come to an accomodation about spending.

We do talk and communicate about where money needs to go and necessities are taken care of -- what happens with the rest of her money or mine is not something we discuss.
Good for you Bro. Next time I'm in Vegas and hear somebody's titanium balls clanking, I'll say hello!

Mamluke
04-19-2011, 12:26 PM
I shot CCI mini-mags, and as predicted all over the internet, that spread got wider. Then I tried Stingers - and the darn things wouldn't eject. Rifle didn't like them at all. Had to really muscle the bolt to get them pulled. After one 5 round mag, no more of those. Tried out all the others again, no problems

Generally, its not recommended that you mix ammo of such wide velocity margins at a single shoot out; short of a thorough cleanup of the rifle first.

CCI Stingers are Hyper Velocity at 1525 fps. You'll notice they have a longer shell casing, packing more powder to propel the ultra light 32 grain round to 1525 fps. In contrast to a typical high velocity round of CCI minimags of 1260 fps (36 grain).

Also, Stingers generate so much heat in the chamber, the failure to dislodge was probably due to heat expansion of the shell upon firing!
BTW, the muzzle flash of a Stinger round at night is nothing short of spectacular... its like shooting anti-aircraft rounds lol....

IMHO, For normal target shooting, the best quality to value rifle ammo (not recommended for a Sig Mosquito) is Federal bulk High Velocity 1260 fps HP (hollow point). A box of 525 rnds will set you back $18~19. Turner's have them on sale occasionally for $17. Best value to the money!!
CCI minimags will work flawlessly with a Sig Mosquito.

....Can someone please shut me up....
Ok, I'm done...congrats, BTW...:D

wormtosser
04-22-2011, 7:23 AM
Generally, its not recommended that you mix ammo of such wide velocity margins at a single shoot out; short of a thorough cleanup of the rifle first.

CCI Stingers are Hyper Velocity at 1525 fps. You'll notice they have a longer shell casing, packing more powder to propel the ultra light 32 grain round to 1525 fps. In contrast to a typical high velocity round of CCI minimags of 1260 fps (36 grain).

Also, Stingers generate so much heat in the chamber, the failure to dislodge was probably due to heat expansion of the shell upon firing!
BTW, the muzzle flash of a Stinger round at night is nothing short of spectacular... its like shooting anti-aircraft rounds lol....

IMHO, For normal target shooting, the best quality to value rifle ammo (not recommended for a Sig Mosquito) is Federal bulk High Velocity 1260 fps HP (hollow point). A box of 525 rnds will set you back $18~19. Turner's have them on sale occasionally for $17. Best value to the money!!
CCI minimags will work flawlessly with a Sig Mosquito.

....Can someone please shut me up....
Ok, I'm done...congrats, BTW...:D

Thx Mam - Appreciate the ammo tips. I kind of figured the same thing about the Stingers and really misspoke - it wasn't failure to eject, it was, as you said, failure to extract. Big boom for a .22. I probably won't do the mix-and-match thing again but I was too curious to resist.

BTW I'm sure your handle must be a reference to an impressive piece of steel you carried - thx for your service. I spent a few years driving you guys around the Pacific. Semper Gator.

Izzy43
04-22-2011, 7:57 AM
There I was in Turner's on the first day of the Spring sale; sort of eyeballing
.22's. Man shows me a Savage MkII with the thumbhole stock and a heavy blued barrel, says it's on sale. Jokingly, I pointed to next rifle over on the rack, same one but with a stainless heavy barrel, and said "give me that one for the same sale price and I'll take it right now!" Dude whips out his calculator, crunches, looks up, and says "OK!" :eek:

Ooops. I hadn't anticpated this. Worse, I hadn't requested permission from the control tower. I had two seconds to decide - Am I a man? Am I afraid of my wife? Answer to both questions was an emphatic "yes!" so I bought the thing and went home scared. Ooops, I bought rifle. There must be some rule of gun safety there that I failed to memorize. Something about an accidental charge card instead of an accidental discharge. But I digress... Anyway, 10 days passed, I have since paid the price and have done lots of dishes.

HOWEVER, I took the thing out this weekend for a little break in session. Put a Simmons 22 Mag 4x9 32 on it. Grabbed 4 kinds of .22lr from WalMart. Hadn't shot a rifle in 30 years. Walked off 25 yards, set up a target and started sending Remington Golden Bullets down the tube, through the target, into a Sierra foothill hillside. Took all of 10 minutes to get the scope zeroed. Built a makeshift rest out of my pistol case, a jacket and a hat. Laid down in the green gass. A few minutes later I had a 10 round group in 5/8's of an inch, which I have figured as 1.62 MOA if I'm doing it right. Cheap ammo, bad rest, new barrel, shaky shooter and I'm pretty amazed. It was no trouble repeating. Then I did it for the third time, changed ammo to cheapo Remington sub-sonics, which made a tighter group that I didn't measure. Then I shot CCI mini-mags, and as predicted all over the internet, that spread got wider. Then I tried Stingers - and the darn things wouldn't eject. Rifle didn't like them at all. Had to really muscle the bolt to get them pulled. After one 5 round mag, no more of those. Tried out all the others again, no problems at all. Won't shoot those Stingers again. I think the darn Golden Bullets will make some darn fine cheap ammo. Someday I'll try to find some of the good stuff - Lapua, Eley, etc, and see what it will do at a man-sized 50 yard range.

Sorry no pics. Wife still too pissed for me to be photographing guns or targets without landing on the couch for the night. I already gave up booze for Lent (6 days to go!) so I'll be damned if I'll give up a warm bed too.

BTW my pistol shooting went to hell for the first mag afterwards as I forgot to put my glasses back on. Damn that front sight was blurry. Oh yeah...

Congrats on the new rifle. I have had the same one for about a year. A couple of things I have learned in that time that may be of help (or not) to you. Through a lot of ammo testing I have found that Wolf MT shoots the best with Eley Sport being a less expensive alternative that shoots to the same POA but with an occasional flyer.

Watch the action screws. Critical in these rifles. Every rifle likes a different torque setting on those screws but its generally somewhere betwenn 16 and 24 inch lbs (that's inch pounds, NOT FOOT POUNDS).

A 1/4" group at 25 yds is 1 MOA. A 5/8" group at 25 yds is 2.5 MOA ( 2.5 x 1/4"). I'm not getting on your case, just want to point out that rifle does not like the Remington Ammo. The rifle will shoot sub-MOA at 25 and 50 yds with no problem with the ammo that it likes best. May even do it at 100yds, occasionally mine will. After testing more than 20 different types of ammo I have not found any High Velocity or Hyper Velocity that it will shoot accurately and consistantly. It seems to like 1050-1080 feet per second ammo.

I have tried the following ammo:

Aguila Standard Velocity, Match Rifle, Match Target, Pistol Match, Interceptors, Supermax.
Wolf MT, Wolf ME.
Win 333
Federal 711b, 325 and 550 Bulk Pack, AutoMatch, 510, American Eagle 38gr/40gr.
CCI Mini Mag, CCI Tactical 22lr, CCI SV, Stingers
RWS 50
Remington Target by Eley, Remington GBs, Remington Target from Walmart.
Eley Sport

Only four of those shot with any consistency. Wolf MT, Wolf ME (not as good as the MT), Federal 711B and Eley Sport. Your rifle may be different but I would recommend that you try standard velocity first. Some of the Savage rifles have done well with CCI SV. Turners has that sometimes.

Flyingpootang
04-22-2011, 1:22 PM
LOL, Gotta have the "Black Ops Fund" for such occasions.

SGGear
04-22-2011, 1:32 PM
Congrats on your new purchase.

I own a total of 9 guns (handguns + longguns) and wife only thinks I have 5. The good thing is .. my wife cant tell the difference between a sig p226 and a 1911. :jump:

VegasND
04-22-2011, 2:14 PM
You need to buy more guns ... as well as educate your wife in shooting and defense.
Congrats on your new purchase.

I own a total of 9 guns (handguns + longguns) and wife only thinks I have 5. The good thing is .. my wife cant tell the difference between a sig p226 and a 1911. :jump: