PDA

View Full Version : Possible OLL bad news?

Solidsnake87
11-16-2006, 3:52 PM
I'm an engineering student at sac state and part of the engineering curriculum senior year is to come up with some sort of design project. I've been drawing up designs for a single shot, bolt action, .30-06 upper for ARs. I called the doj about the legality of building such a rifle on a legal lower just building the upper from scratch materials. The lady on the phone definitely knew her stuff but then she said to stay away from OLL stuff because those receivers will not be available to the general public soon. I asked if the DOJ is going to update the list. She said that it is on the drawing table. She said to stick with the approved FAB 10. The way she said it was if she was strongly hinting at an updated list. What do you guys think????

pacificcoast
11-16-2006, 3:55 PM
I'm an engineering student at sac state and part of the engineering curriculum senior year is to come up with some sort of design project. I've been drawing up designs for a single shot, bolt action, .30-06 upper for ARs. I called the doj about the legality of building such a rifle on a legal lower just building the upper from scratch materials. The lady on the phone definitely knew her stuff but then she said to stay away from OLL stuff because those receivers will not be available to the general public soon. I asked if the DOJ is going to update the list. She said that it is on the drawing table. She said to stick with the approved FAB 10. The way she said it was if she was strongly hinting at an updated list. What do you guys think????

folks on the phone don't know crap, she probably thinks that the new proposed regulation regarding "capcity to accept a detachable magazine" will shut down the offlist lower market. she probably doesnt mean that they will list but means that the new regs will outlaw them making them "not available to the general public".

thye arent going to be running two things at once: the new definition along with a new list. its either one or the other.

Jicko
11-16-2006, 3:55 PM
Oh.... u r so out-dated.... everyone here knew...... THEY WILL BE LISTED IN 2 WEEKS!!

* L O L *

Smokeybehr
11-16-2006, 3:58 PM
Oh.... u r so out-dated.... everyone here knew...... THEY WILL BE LISTED IN 2 WEEKS!!

* L O L *

Cold Beer, Hot Showers, 10 minutes! :D

John Browning
11-16-2006, 5:50 PM
The DOJ certainly has some knowledgeable people. However, they aren't all on the same page. I would get something in writing from someone, or several someones before going forward.

tenpercentfirearms
11-16-2006, 5:53 PM
If they update the list then now is the time to buy! If they don't update the list, put in a rivet and some epoxy and carry on. More scare tactics out of the DOJ. Why can't they just be public servants and serve us?

Patriot
11-16-2006, 6:02 PM
A decision of this magnitude (creating thousands of new registered AWs) will inevitably be made at the higher levels of incompetence *err, leadership*. So unless she's privy to the AG or DAGs, I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Then again, what do I know?

xenophobe
11-16-2006, 6:11 PM
With the power to 'list' soon disappearing, and the apparent regulatory proposals being shot down so easily, and the fact that it will not stop off-list activity may indeed force the DOJ to list one final time.

Besides, Lockyer got his new job, so 'taking thousands of new assault-style rifles off the streets' can be something 'positive' he can say he did on the way out of the AG's chair.

pklin1297
11-16-2006, 6:11 PM
Time to buy another Mega lower?!! :) :) :)

cornholio1
11-16-2006, 6:48 PM
If they update the list then now is the time to buy! If they don't update the list, put in a rivet and some epoxy and carry on. More scare tactics out of the DOJ. Why can't they just be public servants and serve us?

Maybe I missed that post. Is epoxy necessary? or can I just use the normal pinned mag still?

thmpr
11-16-2006, 6:54 PM
Epoxy not required....

adamsreeftank
11-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Remember, if you want to use a pistol grip, you still need to bolt a 10 round magazine to the lower, even if you are using a single shot upper. If you want it to look less threatening for the school, you might think about getting a DPMS single shot lower.

dwtt
11-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Remember, if you want to use a pistol grip, you still need to bolt a 10 round magazine to the lower, even if you are using a single shot upper. If you want it to look less threatening for the school, you might think about getting a DPMS single shot lower.
A bolt action rifle can have a detachable magazine and all the evil features. Just don't manufacture or import into this state a standard capacity magazine greater than 30 rounds capacity.

bu-bye
11-16-2006, 10:57 PM
A bolt action rifle can have a detachable magazine and all the evil features. Just don't manufacture or import into this state a standard capacity magazine greater than 30 rounds capacity.

I think you mean greater then 10 rounds.

norbs007
11-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Remember, if you want to use a pistol grip, you still need to bolt a 10 round magazine to the lower, even if you are using a single shot upper.

Which kit is more preferrable now, the Prince50 or the SemiAutoSam kit? Thanks.

PLINK
11-16-2006, 11:15 PM

They both do the job. SAS only has a few left. So if you like his you better get it soon. He will not be making anymore.

DDs Ranch
11-17-2006, 3:44 AM
What is the prince50?

tenpercentfirearms
11-17-2006, 5:28 AM
Epoxy not required....
It will be if the new regulations go through. That was my point, unless they have something more sinister planned through legislation, the only thing they have going for them is the new regulation change...I mean the "rules clarification". :rolleyes: Here is what it says.

A firearm is not readily modifiable to receive a detachable magazine if, for
example:
(A)
it does not have a magazine well;
(B)
the magazine is fixed to the receiver by a continuous ribbon of welding around the perimeter of the magazine well, or by multiple ribbons of welding that are each at least one half inch in length;
(C)
the magazine is fixed to the receiver with a rivet (or other irreversible locking device) that is driven through the magazine well and fixed in place with epoxy; or
(D)
the modification requires disassembly of the action.

tiki
11-17-2006, 5:28 AM
Maybe I missed that post. Is epoxy necessary? or can I just use the normal pinned mag still?

They don't say how the epoxy has to be put there. So, I guess you can just epoxy the rivet.

tiki
11-17-2006, 5:33 AM
What is the prince50?

DD's ranch? Wow, I got excited for a second, then I saw that it was sporting goods. Nice name though. Double D's Ranch.

The Prince 50 is a mag release button with an allen screw through it so that when it is tightened, it prevents the magazine button from being depressed. That changes the magazine from being readily detachable to requiring the use of a tool. Like the law says.

stator
11-17-2006, 6:01 AM
I expect the chances of the AG listing is slim to none at best. It will be interesting to follow the upcoming 2007-2008 legislation cycle.

adamsreeftank
11-17-2006, 6:41 AM

That's some risky legal advice to be dishing out. An AR lower with an open magwell and a pistol grip can, by itself, get one busted. Whether a bolt-action upper would change this is a gray area at best.

Now, if I wanted to put a pistol grip and detachable 10 round mag on my remington 700, that would be no problem.

Blacktail 8541
11-17-2006, 7:29 AM
What is the prince50?
The Prince50 kit is a magazine locking kit that is very popular.