View Full Version : Building My First AR15

11-16-2006, 3:40 PM
Woo hoo...just received my CMMG striped lower!! Now I gotta order a RRA LPK, stock and complete upper.

And pointers (in addition to the how-to build pages over at AR15.com??) Such as tools that would make it easier for a first-timer? Or better yet...anyone has some tools that they no longer need?!?!?!?! I know it can be done without tools...but tools always make the job easier and possibly save a few scratches.

And how do I know I'm doing each step correctly?? I think it will be a while before I have time to get to the range. OH...what is the proper way to break in the barrel, etc.

Thanks all....and excitedly waiting

11-16-2006, 3:44 PM
rollpin punches are about the only thing you would need to make it easy..

if you live in the south bay i can lend you some

11-16-2006, 3:46 PM
Get some blue painters tape so you don't ding up the receiver too much. Also some Vise-Grips can help. But the roll pin punches are key!

11-16-2006, 3:48 PM
Get some blue painters tape so you don't ding up the receiver too much. Also some Vise-Grips can help. But the roll pin punches are key!

Hmm, where is a good place to buy them?

11-16-2006, 3:48 PM
I recommend the book called "The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide". It can be had from any of the usual gun parts houses, or Amazon.

To get you started ar15.com (known as ARFcom on the various gunboards) has a guide at http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/ Make sure that you read through it at least twice before starting.

Many of the people here on CalGuns are also on ARFcom (I'm a member) so you'll see a lot of crossover. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There's people with lots of good knowledge around here.

11-16-2006, 3:49 PM
In regards to blue painter's tape....where are the critical areas to tape up???
Also...the tape is not strong enough to messy the CMMG exterior finish right??

Thanks all!!

11-16-2006, 3:57 PM
Hmm, where is a good place to buy them?

Roll Pin punches can be found at about any hardware store. I'd recommend your local mom-and-pop store. Gotta keep the locals in business, you know.

11-16-2006, 3:57 PM
Put tape near anywhere where a roll pin goes.

Some hints:

1) be real careful about losing things - some of those detent pins and roll pins are super small.

2) +1 on getting or borrowing pin punches.

3) lay everything out first so that you know you have all the parts, and you can recognize all the parts.

4) take your time.

11-16-2006, 4:01 PM
Depends on where you are.... I can help.... I had built so many of them now....

The last one... I built it with a friend... but after 2 of us sunk down 2 bottles of red wine and a bunch of beers.... it still came out... PERFECT...

11-16-2006, 6:23 PM
Hey J,

Thanks for the offer...I'm in Pasadena. Maybe I can come to you...where are you located?

And then we can down the bear after this time :D

11-16-2006, 7:25 PM
I use a center punch to get the pin near the hole then finish it off with the correct size punch. I had no issues doing it this way. I also lube up the pins before the install. The punches I used came from Home Depot. As for the blue painters tape, I put this on all both sides of the receiver.