PDA

View Full Version : Take down pin for UZI

ts
11-16-2006, 2:29 PM
Hey guys, the one pin that holds the UZI togeather is a ***** to get out, I am thinkin about making me own pin - then I thought maybe a quick release take down pin for an AR would do.

Check these out:

http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=LRPKNSP1&storeid=1&image=lowprtskns.gif

If I am really lucky they just might fit. What do you guys think?

Edit: Believe the uzi pin in 8mm

ts
11-16-2006, 10:39 PM
come on anyone? have any ideas?

leelaw
11-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Check aircraft part suppliers - I've been told those pins are common on airplanes, and they might have different sizes available.

ts
11-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Well size isn't really the issue - it is more design, I am looking for something simular to this:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/ProductImages/7037337-11.jpg

leelaw
11-16-2006, 11:02 PM
I don't know if the ring would be needed - the problem with getting the pin out on an UZI is the tension holding it in a full-inserted position. If you use one of the button-release pins that tension won't be there, plus it has a lip you can grab onto to pull with.

ts
11-16-2006, 11:13 PM
It woudlent - but that was just an example.

leelaw
11-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Yea, so you're looking for a push-button release pivot pin - similar to the Sig 55x series rifle takedown pins - that will have the right diameter and length to fit into an UZI takedown pin hole. I'll see if I can scrounge any.

ts
11-17-2006, 1:13 AM
now your a good guy! thanks a lot! just out of curosity - how do you know that will fit the UZI?

Edit it could be .350 diameter - it would be nice to get it a hair smaller

NeoWeird
11-17-2006, 2:19 AM
www.mcmaster.com is your friend.

NeoWeird
11-17-2006, 2:25 AM
http://www.mcmaster.com/param/images/Pins/92385A_200dimension.gif

I think you want something like that. Also if I calculated it right 8mm is ~.31". That will put you just under 5/16" diameter. So get a 5/16" pin in the length you want, then take some emery cloth (or wet dry sand paper) and bring it down ~.003" and you should have a very nice fitting, smooth pulling, push release pin that will make reloading easier.

ts
11-17-2006, 3:24 PM
might be 9mm. - got that from the guys at UZI talk. An 11/32 pin should work

ts
11-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Okay guys - I did some measuring of my own and I got a pin, I am able to pop the lower off and put it back on in under 10 seconds easy now. No more rubber mallet for me! Now here's the info:

I got it from McMaster-Carr

Part #92385A056

http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/112/gfx/large/92384ap2l.gif

Ss Recessed Push-Button Quick-Release Pin 5/16" Diameter, 2" Usable Length

Itís approximately 1/4" too long - but it was the closest I could get.

Now hereís the kicker - the pin is $30.05 (not including tax and S&H)! But it is well worth the money if you have CA neutered UZI.

It is not very aesthetically pleasing but it really does the job great!

NeoWeird
11-24-2006, 12:40 AM
Okay guys - I did some measuring of my own and I got a pin, I am able to pop the lower off and put it back on in under 10 seconds easy now. No more rubber mallet for me! Now here's the info:

I got it from McMaster-Carr

Part #92385A056

http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/112/gfx/large/92384ap2l.gif

Ss Recessed Push-Button Quick-Release Pin 5/16" Diameter, 2" Usable Length

It’s approximately 1/4" too long - but it was the closest I could get.

Now here’s the kicker - the pin is $30.05 (not including tax and S&H)! But it is well worth the money if you have CA neutered UZI.

It is not very aesthetically pleasing but it really does the job great!

Have you purchased it yet?

Have you thought about cutting off the push button end (if you already purchased it, or simply buying a more proper one) and cutting the whole thing to proper length, drilling/tapping the pin, then adding a sling swivel to it to act as a sling point? It may not be the perfect spot for a sling, but it would give you a handle to yank on to pull the thing out.

Just a suggestion. Probably not a good one though...

ts
11-24-2006, 1:34 AM
Have you purchased it yet?

Have you thought about cutting off the push button end (if you already purchased it, or simply buying a more proper one) and cutting the whole thing to proper length, drilling/tapping the pin, then adding a sling swivel to it to act as a sling point? It may not be the perfect spot for a sling, but it would give you a handle to yank on to pull the thing out.

Just a suggestion. Probably not a good one though...

My friend, I gotta say I have no clue what you are talkin about. It is so incredibly easy to break down and put back together now - I doubt it could be any simpler - only problem is it is ugly. There are many different styles, but this one was the most effective.

NeoWeird
11-24-2006, 1:40 AM
My friend, I gotta say I have no clue what you are talkin about. It is so incredibly easy to break down and put back together now - I doubt it could be any simpler - only problem is it is ugly. There are many different styles, but this one was the most effective.

What I meant was you could disguise the pin as a sling swivel, and even though you lost the push button release, you gained a sling to act as a handle to yank on. It may not be a great place for a sling, as it can be pulled out if yanked on hard enough (and then there goes your weapon into pieces), but it could hide the removable pin at least.

ts
11-24-2006, 2:22 AM
Well, yeah I could do that... but the whole point of this was the locking mechanism and ease of break down. Doing that would defeat that.