PDA

View Full Version : Expensive Glass on .22s

rimfireman
04-18-2011, 1:43 PM
I made up my mind. I'm going to postpone the purchase, it's just the matter of when.

VirT
04-18-2011, 2:16 PM
Having high quality optics is always nice. If you can truly afford them; your financial situation as described suggests your priorities should perhaps lean toward necessities before luxuries. If you are looking for others to justify your choices.. well, yeah.

As the saying goes "buy once, cry once"; in the case you get a great $$ scope, and your car breaks down.. I think you would be crying more than once.

CSACANNONEER
04-18-2011, 2:27 PM
A general rule of thumb is to spend the LEAST you can on a rifle that will perform to your standards and then, spend as much as you can on quality optics. I may be older than you but, I own 2 vehicles and am buying a third that individually are worth less than either of my NXSs are. We won't talk about my Power Wagon or the wife's Benz though. But, yea, spend your money on things that make YOU happy. Most vehicles only depreciate in value where, I'm positive that I can sell my (now "used") NXSs for hundreds more than I paid for them new. So, quality optics can be a better "investment" than other expenses one occures in this hobby.

BSlacker
04-18-2011, 2:37 PM
I know it sounds silly to have a scope twice the cost of the rifle im shooting.

That's only because you have not maxed out the 10/22 yet. I bet after a few fliers with the NightForce mounted you will begin to spend on the 10/22 and catch up. You will see the fliers up close and personal.
I don't think it is silly at all, you have a plan to use it on a centerfire rifle that is a good match so even if it is overkill for the 10/22 you will be satisfied with the scope. In America we spend our money as we wish. If it makes you happy do it. You can always sell it and get the money back anyway. :)

Tank 57
04-18-2011, 5:02 PM
Bought a Leupold for my CZ that cost close to the rifle.Based on previous Leupolds I've bought,I had no hesitation in buying it.

covingtonhouse
04-18-2011, 5:43 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with BSlacker... The 10/22 can definately be brought up to the performance level of the glass...
as a family man though, I'm gonna have to go with priorities

Maltese Falcon
04-18-2011, 5:54 PM
Ask yourself one question, If I had to choose, reliable car or killer glass, which would it be?

Certain things are best to acquire at certain times. I admire your insistence on quality but at the expense of being able to travel as one sees fit? Many people can live without personal transportation, I for one cannot. My job, ability to put food on the table, roof over the head requires a reliable car for me.

Separate the needs from the wants. YMMV

G-forceJunkie
04-18-2011, 7:23 PM
If you can afford it, why not. In my opinion, how good does the glass need to be on a sub 200 yard rifle? I have $300 scopes on my .22's (Nikon Buckmasters) and feel is well suited for the job. My 700 that get shot out to 1000 yds...it has a Niteforce.

shadow65
04-18-2011, 8:16 PM
I'm running UTG's and Muellers on my .22:D

hatidua
04-18-2011, 8:19 PM
I like good glass, it makes my time at the range more enjoyable. What caliber that glass is riding on really isn't an issue for me, I have the exact same model scope on my .22 that I have on my $5K .308

BC9696
04-18-2011, 8:26 PM
The rule is, "If you want it, that's enough reason to get it." End of story.

locosway
04-18-2011, 10:18 PM
I went with a Leupold Rimfire scope. It cost almost as much as my rifle, but it's sooo worth it! :)

Mr. Burns
04-18-2011, 10:42 PM
When your car dies do you plan to drive your scope to work and school?

By the way, I shoot my .22 at over 300 yards and my scope cost less than $100.

rimfireman
04-18-2011, 11:21 PM

i myself own a mueller apv and a bsa sweet 22 (the new one)

I guess i just gotta budget this one out. right now driving is a whole another issue for me. 4.00+ a gallon is just painful.

I'll eventually need a vehicle soon as my civic craps out.

and like others have said its really what you can afford at the time.

I think im just going to hold onto my cash for now and put more money away, that way when my car does crap out i'll have a plan and hopefully i can put money together in the next 6 months for the nightforce.

i doubt doubt the bang for the buck mentality.
-
but nightforce clarity, quality, and just how it feels is almost to good to be true. I got to handle a nxs 5.5-22x50mm on a R700 it was like a dream.

I heard zeiss is good, but havent got to check it out yet
(the main thing is i know i want it, i'm just trying to prepare myself for that leap)

locosway
04-18-2011, 11:25 PM
How would the Nightforce compare to the Leupold VX-I 2-7x28mm Rimfire for $220?

Packy14
04-18-2011, 11:26 PM

I can shoot my .22 at 1000 yards (doesn't mean I'll hit anything i'm aiming at)!!!! what do you hit at 300 yards, that's the question. I can hit metal @ ASR 10/10 shots @ 300, but I have no clue as to groupings. I am currently re-working my 10/22, new stock to match my 5R build and better glass to match my volquartsen barrel and trigger group and misc parts, figure I might as well make it a trainer match for my bolt with same stock/feel. I'm gonna probably go with a burris or nikon for ~400$.

Mr. Burns
04-18-2011, 11:28 PM
i myself own a mueller apv and a bsa sweet 22 (the new one)

I guess i just gotta budget this one out. right now driving is a whole another issue for me. 4.00+ a gallon is just painful.

I'll eventually need a vehicle soon as my civic craps out.

and like others have said its really what you can afford at the time.

I think im just going to hold onto my cash for now and put more money away, that way when my car does crap out i'll have a plan and hopefully i can put money together in the next 6 months for the nightforce.

i doubt doubt the bang for the buck mentality.
-
but nightforce clarity, quality, and just how it feels is almost to good to be true. I got to handle a nxs 5.5-22x50mm on a R700 it was like a dream.

I heard zeiss is good, but havent got to check it out yet
(the main thing is i know i want it, i'm just trying to prepare myself for that leap)

I have the new BSA Sweet 22 also.

You could put a few bucks a month away to save for a nice scope. I don't know your spending habits but for example instead of getting a $3-$5 cup of coffee you could put it in your scope fund. :)

Good luck.

Mr. Burns
04-18-2011, 11:35 PM
I can shoot my .22 at 1000 yards (doesn't mean I'll hit anything i'm aiming at)!!!! what do you hit at 300 yards, that's the question. I can hit metal @ ASR 10/10 shots @ 300, but I have no clue as to groupings. I am currently re-working my 10/22, new stock to match my 5R build and better glass to match my volquartsen barrel and trigger group and misc parts, figure I might as well make it a trainer match for my bolt with same stock/feel. I'm gonna probably go with a burris or nikon for ~400$.

This is my grouping at 305 yards using bulk ammo. Call it what you'd like but I'd say thats pretty good for a .22 ;)

Packy14
04-18-2011, 11:58 PM
This is my grouping at 305 yards using bulk ammo. Call it what you'd like but I'd say thats pretty good for a .22 ;)

I'd say that is excellent. I'm pretty sure I could do the same w/ my old setup, just goes to show that a .22 can be quite accurate even at distance. Good shooting.

pklin1297
04-19-2011, 12:30 AM
I currently have a Bushnell 6x18x40mm scope on my CZ 455, works just fine and solid.

I currently have a USO SN3 TPAL on my .308 bolt rifle, works just fine and extremely solid.

I feel the USO is justified for the .308 (the USO costs more than 3 times the amount of money I had in the rifle), although a less expensive Vortex PST probably would've done just fine.

I don't feel a scope that will cost 6 to 7 times (Nightforce FFP) more than my CZ is justified, no matter how good a scope it is. If you have a higher caliber rifle that you want to use your rimfire to practice for, including reading the reticle, etc., and said rifle has a Nightforce on it, then I'd say if you've got the money, go for it. Otherwise, a Bushnell Elite or the like would be just fine.

My opinion of course. I just don't see why would people putting scopes like Premier, Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender, etc. on rimfires.

santamonica9
04-19-2011, 1:14 AM
whats more important to you? family VS fun - your car is a priority, save up slowly and get s decent scope. Yes, buy once cry once but make sure you can afford it. save up slowly if you REALLY need the higher $$$ scopes. good luck!!

pennys dad
04-19-2011, 8:54 AM
Dude, I know a guy that has a $2200 dollar US Optics on his tweaked out 1022. I appropriately droll every time i see it. Oddly I dont think its overkill, but i could just be in Optics envy :-)

pennys dad
04-19-2011, 9:00 AM
ohhh, side note, i use on my 22lr's:

Leopuld Mark AR 1x4
Leopuld VX1 3x9
Nikon Prostaff 2x7
BSA Sweet 22
I will be adding 3 scopes soon and I am thinking about a
Barska 1.5 x 4.5 or more Nikon Prostaff's

Kryptyde
04-19-2011, 9:14 AM
I use a Mueller APV on my CZ ($130) which is good and a Mueller Eraticator 8.5-25x on my ultimate 10/22 which is excellent for $225

Mr. Burns
04-19-2011, 9:08 PM
I'd say that is excellent. I'm pretty sure I could do the same w/ my old setup, just goes to show that a .22 can be quite accurate even at distance. Good shooting.

Thanks. :D

j1133s
04-20-2011, 1:32 AM
I'm considering purchasing a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 or get the 56mm objective on high rings for my ruger 10/22

I know it sounds silly to have a scope twice the cost of the rifle im shooting.
I'm also a college student driving a 20 year old car. (i basically have a choice buying another new (used) vehicle or getting this glass)

But i checked it out and i really like their clarity - i could also record zeros and mount it on my AR using a QD mount from larue and use it on my other rifles*

The reason why i'm posting here is are there alternatives, or if there are any others on this forum who mounted similar highend optics like zeiss on their .22s

I'm not looking for really a budget piece in the sense, It's kind of ridiculous in my own mind that im justifying half in the fact this scope will last long after i die.

*A small part of me also wants to just let it go and pass on it seeing as I might need a vehicle after i pass 220k miles.....

Please comment - It will definitely help me make up my mind.
I'll be open to all your comment's.

/cheers

Sounds like you really want this extra money to go into a scope for your rifle but you also worry that you make need it for a car repairs. In that case, I'd advise you to get a cheaper scope (say in the $300-500 range) and save the remaining $ for future car repair. This way, you'll have a functional scope and money for the car.

donw
04-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Bought a Leupold for my CZ that cost close to the rifle.Based on previous Leupolds I've bought,I had no hesitation in buying it.

+1...i did it on both my CZ's and rem 700, 22-250.

and has been said...you can always switch the glass around on your rifles.

mif_slim
04-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, honestly I would say about 1/4 members here are serious shooters and those guys you will get great advice from them about glass, but if your not a serious shooter a average glass should get you by especially when your shooting 22lr. Leo vx models and nikon's will give you plenty of what you need out of your 22. Shooting out to 600+ yards glass will be VERY effective but for 22, I'd say max "shootable" range would be 300 and that is well within say, a Nikon Prostaff scope's ability and clearity.

Reading things on here and other hobby forums makes people think they need to catch up on their equipments but the truth is, you dont really have to, you just need to get what suite your type of style. Kind of like guys needing high end AR's when 99% of the time their shooting from a bench at 100 yards.

rimfire17
04-24-2011, 6:25 PM
I have a Leupold and two Nikons on 3 of my rimfires. Is the Leupold nice? Yes, but so are the Nikon Prostaff rimfire scopes. When I went looking for a new scope for my new 17HMR I opted to go with another Nikon. The extra cost of the Leupold just isn't really warranted. So unless you just have the cash, I'd recommend the Nikons.