View Full Version : Davis Levee looked like somebody cleaned it today.

04-17-2011, 8:47 PM
So I went to the Davis Levee to kill some time and looked like somebody cleaned it today. You would never had known it was used for shooting except for the rusted metal casings around the area. A couple guys where shooting an AR and a Shotgun, at a target and throwing clays. I have been there quite a few times and usually it looks horrible.

04-17-2011, 9:01 PM
When I last went out there a few weeks ago, there were "No Trespassing" sign posted. Are people still shooting out there?

04-17-2011, 9:55 PM
I would not recommend shooting there. The "No Trespassing" sign is likely due to the current battle going on over the water shed rights. This will become more prominent in the local media during the next election cycle. Also keep in mind that when looking north from the levee where people shoot, your seeing a wildlife refuge.

Do some 'google' research and you will be surprised at what you find. I hesitate to go further...so send me a IM if you want more info.

There was a clean up some time ago at that spot, not sure how heavily used it has been since then.

04-20-2011, 6:32 PM
So who owns it?

Purple K
04-30-2011, 5:37 PM
So who owns it?

That's the $64 question.

05-01-2011, 1:20 AM
That's the $64 question.

So "who owns what" is is the question. Of course the term "owns" is also not the question. Who "regulates" or "maintains" are the terms one will find with research.

If my memory serves me correct from my research into the question, the levee itself is maintained by A, the water in the channel is claimed by B, and the land past it is claimed by C. The "road" well...thats...complicated.

Are you beginning to understand bureaucracy?

From what I understand that first gate is used by at least 3 different stake holders. Private land owners, individuals with access for hunting, or employees of said bureaucracy using it for access to survey, measure or test.

If you notice, there is a second gate that blocks the road after the first (going left or West). If you go NE or SE you are heading into Conway Ranch to the NE or a private game reserve to the SE.

Do some research on Conway ranch and get back to me when your eyeballs stop spinning. Oh yea, and check and see what is located straight north of the shooting spot...they have a web page...