PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some upper advice

lower lover
04-17-2011, 7:52 PM
I'm tying to figure out what parts to buy to complete my upper. I am looking for the best parts I can buy and money is not an issue ( I have been saving :D). I have been leaning towards a Novseke upper with m4 feed ramps. A Daniel Defense 14" rail. I need a good but cheep 16" 1:8 barrel with m4 feed ramps to see if I like it, or a 1:9 better. I also need a gas block that will fit under the rail that clamps instead of a set screw. If any one has any advice or a better part I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any help

Gunfighter420
04-17-2011, 8:05 PM
I'm tying to figure out what parts to buy to complete my upper. I am looking for the best parts I can buy and money is not an issue ( I have been saving :D). I have been leaning towards a Novseke upper with m4 feed ramps. A Daniel Defense 14" rail. I need a good but cheep 16" 1:8 barrel with m4 feed ramps to see if I like it, or a 1:9 better. I also need a gas block that will fit under the rail that clamps instead of a set screw. If any one has any advice or a better part I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any help

The twist rate will depend on what kind of ammo your going to use. 1:9 is great for 55gr to 62gr and 1:7 will stabilize heavier bullets from 62gr to 77gr. If your going for distance shooting I'd go with the heavier bullets. If you can get a 1:8 you should be good to go from 55gr to 77gr I would think. I've never used a 1:8. Noveske are up there along with Daniel Defense and BCM. I'm a BCM guy myself. Their all cold hammer forged. Also Daniel Defense now supplies BCM with barrels since Sabre Defense is being shut down for illegal activity.

Charger Mark
04-17-2011, 8:08 PM
You've described two very expensive components in your upper and rail. Are you sure you want to go cheap on your barrel? If money's not issue, you should get a quality barrel. But if you want cheap, how about this upper from BCM? It's not a Noveske upper, but probably pretty close in quality, it's in stock and if you don't like it you could sell it here on the Marketplace easily if priced right. It's 1/8 and has the M4 feed ramps, and the gas block is the only issue:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16%20ss410.htm

lower lover
04-18-2011, 6:25 PM
You've described two very expensive components in your upper and rail. Are you sure you want to go cheap on your barrel? If money's not issue, you should get a quality barrel. But if you want cheap, how about this upper from BCM? It's not a Noveske upper, but probably pretty close in quality, it's in stock and if you don't like it you could sell it here on the Marketplace easily if priced right. It's 1/8 and has the M4 feed ramps, and the gas block is the only issue:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16%20ss410.htm

I will look into the best barrel I think I should get it is hard to choose the right one, I wish I knew what twist I wanted then I would have Krieger make one.

evidens83
04-18-2011, 6:27 PM
Money isnt an issue except when it comes to one of the most inportant parts on an AR, the barrel :confused:

lower lover
04-18-2011, 7:44 PM
Money isnt an issue except when it comes to one of the most inportant parts on an AR, the barrel :confused:

I know :confused: , I dont want to spend a bunch of money to find out that I like a 1:9 better. And then go spend a bunch more money to get a great 1:9. But I will probably have to invest in a 1:8 to see how I like it.

missiontrails
04-18-2011, 7:59 PM

FYI, BCM uppers tend to fit with more slop than others, anthough quality and materials are HIGH. I have had 4 BCM uppers over a two year period, and they had play on Territorial Gunsmiths, MEGA Billet, Noveske forged, and S&W lowers. I just bought a MEGA forged upper from Rainier Arms, should have it by Thursday, will report back.

till44
04-18-2011, 8:21 PM
FYI, BCM uppers tend to fit with more slop than others, anthough quality and materials are HIGH. I have had 4 BCM uppers over a two year period, and they had play on Territorial Gunsmiths, MEGA Billet, Noveske forged, and S&W lowers. I just bought a MEGA forged upper from Rainier Arms, should have it by Thursday, will report back.

That's b/c BCM is true to spec, that "slop" is supposed to be there.

missiontrails
04-18-2011, 8:44 PM
That's b/c BCM is true to spec, that "slop" is supposed to be there.

True:) Does not mean we have to like it. There is just something about having your back hand on the pistol grip, your front hand on the VG, and having movement........

Noah3683
04-18-2011, 9:11 PM
The twist rate will depend on what kind of ammo your going to use. 1:9 is great for 55gr to 62gr and 1:7 will stabilize heavier bullets from 62gr to 77gr. If your going for distance shooting I'd go with the heavier bullets. If you can get a 1:8 you should be good to go from 55gr to 77gr I would think. I've never used a 1:8. Noveske are up there along with Daniel Defense and BCM. I'm a BCM guy myself. Their all cold hammer forged. Also Daniel Defense now supplies BCM with barrels since Sabre Defense is being shut down for illegal activity.
No they aren't... hammer forged is a $90 increase over their standard upper. Also Noveske uses hammer forged M249 barrels standard which are superior to both. Their stainless barrels are polygonal rifled which is again superior to BCM or DD offerings

AeroEngi
04-18-2011, 9:35 PM
Just get a 1:7 twist barrel and be done with it. Why are you gonna limit your rifle's capability? With 1:7 you can shoot from 55 gr to 77 gr perfectly fine.

rareair
04-18-2011, 9:54 PM
Just get a 1:7 twist barrel and be done with it. Why are you gonna limit your rifle's capability? With 1:7 you can shoot from 55 gr to 77 gr perfectly fine.

X2. Why wouldn't you like a 1:9 versus a 1:8? Do you plan on shooting match-grade ammo only? Go with a 1:7 and know you'll be able to shoot light ammo (55/62gr) as well as the good heavy stuff

rareair
04-18-2011, 9:55 PM

:confused::rolleyes: