PDA

View Full Version : How do I get gun back from Sheriff's Dept?

kinsbeck
04-17-2011, 5:09 PM
25 years ago I purchased a handgun from a friend. It was a cash transaction before you had to go through gun dealers for transfers. This gun was confiscated due to a restraining order. The restraining order has expired and I want my gun back. The DOJ paperwork for returning the gun says I am not listed as the owner in the AFS system. The Sheriff's Dept. will only release firearms to registered owners. To further complicate things, the local gun dealers say it is on a list firearms that now can not be sold/transferred in the state of CA. If I have the Sheriff's Dept. give the gun to the gun dealer, they can then NOT give it to me due to this list.

It is a Colt 357 Mark III.

Any advice as to how I can get my gun back?

Thanks in advance,
EZ

bussda
04-17-2011, 5:18 PM
You need legal advice. You are running into a possibly illegal policy. You need a lawyer.

jtmkinsd
04-17-2011, 5:24 PM
25 years ago I purchased a handgun from a friend. It was a cash transaction before you had to go through gun dealers for transfers. This gun was confiscated due to a restraining order. The restraining order has expired and I want my gun back. The DOJ paperwork for returning the gun says I am not listed as the owner in the AFS system. The Sheriff's Dept. will only release firearms to registered owners. To further complicate things, the local gun dealers say it is on a list firearms that now can not be sold/transferred in the state of CA. If I have the Sheriff's Dept. give the gun to the gun dealer, they can then NOT give it to me due to this list.

It is a Colt 357 Mark III.

Any advice as to how I can get my gun back?

Thanks in advance,
EZ

Call the CGF hotline: 1-800-556-2109

Or go to the website and email them: http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/hotline

hoffmang
04-17-2011, 5:52 PM
Just follow the email link listed above and be sure to tell us which LEA has the firearm.

-Gene

Maestro Pistolero
04-17-2011, 7:17 PM
Just follow the email link listed above and be sure to tell us which LEA has the firearm.

-Gene

I love this ****. :popcorn:

BigDogatPlay
04-17-2011, 7:24 PM
I so enjoy when a teachable moment presents itself....... :)

Clinton
04-17-2011, 7:29 PM
Keep us posted.......

sanjosebmx
04-17-2011, 7:49 PM

-Gene

it's answers like this ^^^ that made me a CGN contributor!

G17GUY
04-17-2011, 8:20 PM

Don't forget http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/

Maestro Pistolero
04-17-2011, 8:34 PM

Yeah, baby!

"ANTI" Up, y'all! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=108030)

C&Rtrader
04-17-2011, 10:45 PM

-Gene

You guys really do rock.

Droc101
04-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Get 'em gene. You da man! ;-)

ro442173
04-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Damn, your gun really is in jail.

bjl333
04-17-2011, 11:49 PM
:thumbsup: Gene!!

tonelar
04-18-2011, 12:13 AM
When I got my 1911 back from SFPD it came with a spare magazine. When they got it there was just the one. Someone prolly thought I wasn't coming back for it.

Good luck, hope you get your Colt back.

hoffmang
04-18-2011, 12:21 AM
When I got my 1911 back from SFPD it came with a spare magazine, while when they took it it had just the one. Someone prolly thought I wasn't coming back for it.

Good luck, hope you get your Colt back.

Bonus!

FYI, that email address again is hotline@calgunsfoundation.org

-Gene

choprzrul
04-18-2011, 6:54 AM
How do I get gun back from Sheriff's Dept?

From what I have seen on TV, the quickest way would be to hire a Terminator:

http://subscribers.wardsauto.com/images/2008/04/schwarzenegger-terminator.jpg

bollero
04-18-2011, 1:12 PM
how do you get it back? if there was no DOJ paper work back in the old days?

HowardW56
04-18-2011, 1:31 PM
how do you get it back? if there was no DOJ paper work back in the old days?

It would be no different than a long gun, no record of the serial number.

There is no assumption that it is improperly possessed if there is no record, if the gun is clean (not stolen) it should be assumed that it is owned by the person who possessed it...

There is no proof of registration for your pocket knife or shoes, if you were arrested, and released, no charges, they would return your property...