PDA

View Full Version : .22lr AR's, Appleseed, and the hunt for personal satisfaction.

TheDeej
04-17-2011, 4:30 PM
Hey all,

I've been contemplating many things as of late regarding my firearms. After recently acquiring a U22 Neos and having a blast shooting hundreds of rounds in a day with no concern to cost, the itch for a .22 AR must be scratched. I know there are threads on conversions vs. uppers but what I'm mainly concerned with is the accuracy of these uppers.

I really want to participate in an Appleseed, and I want the knowledgeable Calguns community to chime in on the use of a rimfire-uppered AR in these events.

I'm still young and paying off school, my truck, and NOT living under my parents roof so money for toys is not abundant. The fun I have shooting rimfire all day far outweighs shooting 10 mags of .223 and having to call it a day for cost reasons. This has led me to consider offsetting the cost of a nice .22lr upper by trading or selling my 5.56/.223 upper, with the intent of getting another one when I'm more financially capable. Opinions on this?

The upper I currently own is a RRA mid-length Stainless w/ A2 birdcage, standard handgaurd, and standard FSB.

As a disclaimer, I'm not really interested in hearing about SHTF type stuff where I'll wish I had my .223 to fend off the communist/zombie hordes as they beat down my front door.

I'd love to hear from anyone with some good knowledge of these systems and if anyone has experience especially in an appleseed with them then please share.

Thanks all.

shadow65
04-17-2011, 4:45 PM
For accuracy you definetly want a dedicated upper. My CMMG M4 LE will shoot .8 @ 50 yards with Eley and 1.2 @ 50 yards with CCI Mini Mags.
The stainless CMMG is what I recommend. I have tested these over the last year. My personal M4 LE has well over 12K through it with 3 FTE's barring bad ammo. My 5.56 isn't that reliable. I have been beyond impressed with these.
Top it off with a Lifetime Warranty and the excellent CS I've seen from CMMG with prices they are sold for, you can't go wrong.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Dave

saber
04-18-2011, 8:20 AM
I attended an Appleseed last December and brought my Smith and Wession 15-22 so this is based on my personal experience shooting an Appleseed with an AR type rifle.

I realized that while you can shoot an Appleseed with an AR rifle, it would seem to be much easier with a Ruger 10/22 or similar rifle.

One of the major issues is that they teach you to shoot with a sling on your support arm. The problem with an AR is that some of the controls like the bolt release are best used with your left hand. Since your left hand is slung up, it is difficult to move it.

Another issue with their course of fire is that you do a lot of position shooting. I found that with the rifle slung tightly the longer magazines tended to dig into my arm. This was a problem for me in the prone position.

I ended up doing okay in my class but didn't quite shoot well enough to get my Rifleman patch.

Most of the other participants in my class were shooting Ruger 10/22's or Marlin 795's. There was a man in my class with a Marlin 795 who shot nearly a perfect score multiple times with his Marlin 795.

The other reason to get a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 795 is also the cost. I bought a Marlin 795 for $150 and a Ruger 10/22 for $200. Most of the .22 AR uppers I have see are $300 or more.

If you want to see an example of a 10/22 configured for an Appleseed shoot, here is a link.

http://appleseedproject.blogspot.com/2008/02/liberty-training-rifle.html

azlester
04-18-2011, 10:51 AM
I attended an Appleseed last December and brought my Smith and Wession 15-22 so this is based on my personal experience shooting an Appleseed with an AR type rifle.

I realized that while you can shoot an Appleseed with an AR rifle, it would seem to be much easier with a Ruger 10/22 or similar rifle.

One of the major issues is that they teach you to shoot with a sling on your support arm. The problem with an AR is that some of the controls like the bolt release are best used with your left hand. Since your left hand is slung up, it is difficult to move it.

Another issue with their course of fire is that you do a lot of position shooting. I found that with the rifle slung tightly the longer magazines tended to dig into my arm. This was a problem for me in the prone position.

I ended up doing okay in my class but didn't quite shoot well enough to get my Rifleman patch.

Most of the other participants in my class were shooting Ruger 10/22's or Marlin 795's. There was a man in my class with a Marlin 795 who shot nearly a perfect score multiple times with his Marlin 795.

The other reason to get a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 795 is also the cost. I bought a Marlin 795 for $150 and a Ruger 10/22 for $200. Most of the .22 AR uppers I have see are $300 or more.

If you want to see an example of a 10/22 configured for an Appleseed shoot, here is a link.

http://appleseedproject.blogspot.com/2008/02/liberty-training-rifle.html

Here is a link to the Appleseed Shoot forum. It discusses Liberty Training Rifle" LTR and their suggestions and what they recommend. Like this guy says, the Marlin 795 is a more accurate out of the box rifle is is very well suited for the Appleseed shoots. Besides they have a $25 rebate on the blued version of the 795 all year long. If you catch them on sale you can get one for less then $100 after rebate. All you need to add is a GI type sling, a pair of sling swivels(the studs are already on the 795) and either a scope(I recommend a Simmons 22mag 3-9x32w/ao less then $60) or a set of Tech-Sights($65). so for alot less then $200 you have a very accurate little rifle to have a great time with!

NorCalDustin
04-18-2011, 10:56 AM
For accuracy you definetly want a dedicated upper. My CMMG M4 LE will shoot .8 @ 50 yards with Eley and 1.2 @ 50 yards with CCI Mini Mags.
The stainless CMMG is what I recommend. I have tested these over the last year. My personal M4 LE has well over 12K through it with 3 FTE's barring bad ammo. My 5.56 isn't that reliable. I have been beyond impressed with these.
Top it off with a Lifetime Warranty and the excellent CS I've seen from CMMG with prices they are sold for, you can't go wrong.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Dave

I totally backup Dave... I own TWO of the dedicated CMMG .22LR uppers... Both are the stainless steel versions... One has a fixed front sight post, the other has a railed gas block which allowed me to put an MBUS on it.

As far as accuracy... With Eley & benchresting I'm getting sub 1" groups at 50yrds... With Federal Bulk I'm getting ~2" groups at 50yrds... With CCI Mini Mags I'm getting ~1.5" at 50yrds... With Remington GB's (Yes they reliably run in my gun) I'm getting ~3.5" groups at 50yrds.

between both of my uppers, I would be surprised If I'm not pushing 15-20k rounds down range.

Failures:

The upper with the Front Sight Post: 3 Failure's in its lifetime (actually the failures were all within the first couple hundred rounds)... I figure that I have easily over 10k rounds through it.
The upper with the Railed gas block: 2 Failure's to feed, though... At the time I was breaking in new bolt hold open mags for the run, and I had overloaded them during the break in. It's been 100%.

These uppers are more reliable than any other 5.56 uppers that I've owned.... INCLUDING my Daniel Defense M4. Don't get me wrong, my Daniel Defense M4 will beat out 99% of every other AR-15 out there in terms of reliability... But, It can't hold a candle to the reliability I'm getting out of a freaking .22LR Dedicated Upper.

I honestly would not believe Dave (Shadow65) about the reliability had I not experienced it for myself.