View Full Version : Ello all, absolute gun newbie here...

04-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Hey all, I'm an absolute gun newb, thinking about finally upgrading from my airsoft rifles (:o) to something more suitable for target shooting. I was originally looking at .177 pellet rifles but decided I want something that shoots semi-auto instead. I'm not interested in firearms of any larger caliber like 9mm or .223.

Anyways....I just recently started looking into .22lr rifles and am still learning about features such as magazine vs. tube-loaded, etc etc.
My main problem is that I really don't know what the rules are concerning permits and licenses when it comes to buying a .22lr rifle from a Big5 or other location. Some people tell me that I need a permit or license like for a shotgun, while others tell me that since I'm over 21 it's all good. I'm not planning on buying anything for many more months, but I just want to make sure I have all the legal stuff figured out first.

Thanks!! And feel free to throw any tips at me to help a newbie out!!

04-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Welcome to the forum.

CA does not issue permits to buy firearms. If you buy a handgun, there is a Basic Handgun Safety Certificate you must obtain. For a rifle, all you need is your "official" I.D.

04-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Just as long as you don't start asking which is best for killing members of certain religions...

Check this out:

They may even be able to arrange a loaner rifle for you - try before you buy :)

04-17-2011, 5:48 AM
Welcome. Read along, if your not a prohibited person, your good to go, buy a rifle, 22's are great..

04-17-2011, 5:56 AM

04-17-2011, 9:33 AM
welcome to the forum.

04-17-2011, 2:31 PM
Welcome aboard. Good luck on your search for your new 22.

04-17-2011, 6:33 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone

my ultimate goal is to maybe buy a gsg5 late summer, but for now I'm looking to get a cheaper Big5 gun as a beginner to test out at the range (with some friends that own rifles of their own) so I can get the basics down before dishing out hundreds of bucks for a gun. Been looking at something simple like this for now:
(MARLIN ‘795’ .22LR SEMI-AUTO RIFLE, $140 at Big5)

04-17-2011, 7:10 PM
welcome to calguns