PDA

View Full Version : Die set for K31 7.5swiss

tteng
11-15-2006, 5:37 PM
Question:

1. For you K31 hand loader, is it true that Redding dies are better than RCBS or Lee dies in terms of brass life.

2. Can you neck-size once-fired brass (w/o FL sizing) by using the RCBS or Lee dies while depriming the brass. If so, then there is no need to buy the better conforming (& expensive) Redding die.

3. What's your personal experience with your 7.5 swiss dies (RCBS, Lee, Redding) ?

762cavalier
11-15-2006, 5:45 PM
I am using the Lee dies to load for 7.5x55 and have no problems. Neck sizing for the K31 is a problem because the straight pull action does not have the camming power of a bolt rifle and difficult (if not impossible) chambering becomes a problem after the first reload.You can buy the more expensive dies(and I'm sure others here will tell you to buy the "quality" dies) but more expensive does not necessarily equate to more quality.The redding neck size die is not necessary to load good ammo.

tteng
11-15-2006, 5:52 PM
Hi 762cav,

Do you use Win 284 brass or the expensive 7.5 Swiss brass from (??). Oh, what is your recipe for your hand-load.

I'm also looking forward to load for my 30-06 (Garand & 03a3), and 7.62 (Israeli Mauser and Ishy 2A). Do you have recipes for those as well?

762cavalier
11-15-2006, 6:15 PM
I'm using the Graf's brass (which is not that expensive if you have a C&R license) because when I started loading NO ONE had 284 brass(although I would Like to try it as some say it is sturdier brass)

Present load I'm using is a 165 grain Prvi bullet (from grafs) over 40 grains of 4064. I like 4064 because of the wide variety of uses. It will also work great for the other calibers you listed

ocabj
11-15-2006, 8:07 PM
I don't really shoot my K-31 much. But I bought the Hornady die 2-die set. The reason was because it's cheap (iirc $25 at the time I bought it) and it has one of the best seaters you can get short of the Redding or Forster micrometer competition seaters. The ball used on the Hornady sizer is designed such that necking up is easier. You still need to use quite a bit of lube on the inside diameter, but necking up .284 isn't so bad.

dw1784
11-17-2006, 11:46 PM
am thinking of reloading 7.5 Swiss too...

from surplusrifle.com- Redding, because of closer OAL to actual chamber length.

from swissrifle- RCBS, cuz the guys been doing this for 30+ yrs and in his opinion, RCBS is best.

my conclusion from them both? it's the OAL from the individual rifle that matters.

Vepr62
11-18-2006, 7:53 AM
2. Can you neck-size once-fired brass (w/o FL sizing) by using the RCBS or Lee dies while depriming the brass. If so, then there is no need to buy the better conforming (& expensive) Redding die.

If you use brass not fired in your gun, you better use FLS dies to ensure proper feeding. Every chamber is a little bit different even on modern barrels. After you fire it once from your rifle you may use neck sizing dies, as your brass is fire-formed to your chamber.
Vasiliy

762cavalier
11-19-2006, 1:43 PM
just neck sizing on the swiss 7.5x5 is not recommended on most of the places I have seen as the straight pull doesn't have the camming power that a turnbolt does and difficulty chambering usually results.

Pthfndr
11-19-2006, 4:28 PM
If you only have one K31, yes, you can neck size without problems. If you own more than one, then you need to full length resize.

True that the K31 doesn't have the camming action of a Mauser. But as a rule that is NOT a problem.

The Redding dies aren't "better", they're different. They make 2 different 7.5x55 FL sizing dies. One is the standard specs. No matter what 7.5x55 Swiss rifle you have, it will FL resize the case small enough. The other FL sizing die is made specifically for the K31, which has a slightly larger diameter chamber. Not longer over all, not longer to the shoulder, just slightly larger diameter. The K31 specific die allows for the slightly larger diameter and doesn't work the brass as much as the standard size dies.

For most people it's really not an issue. But with brass occasionally being a problem, anything that will prolong it's use is something to consider.

762cavalier
11-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Pathfinder. I had always been told that necksizing for the K-31 was a no win proposition.

Pthfndr
11-20-2006, 7:25 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Pathfinder. I had always been told that necksizing for the K-31 was a no win proposition.

Most people end up with more than one K31, so the neck sizing die ends up collecting dust. I have one. Not even sure where it is anymore :o

NRAhighpowershooter
11-20-2006, 11:52 AM
I only have my one K-31.... neck size for it.. I might be tempted to get another one if Big 5 ever has another sale on them......