PDA

View Full Version : intrafamilial transfers

dwtt
04-16-2011, 2:18 PM
I know the intrafamilial transfer exemption applies between parent and son or daughter, but is there a similar way for husband and wife to give one another a handgun without having to go through the hassle of a PPT?

Quiet
04-16-2011, 2:41 PM
Yes.
It's an operation of law, where property is transmuted to the spouse. [FC 850]

Same procedure as the intra-familial transfer.

Recipiant needs a HSC, giver hands over handgun and within 30 days recipiant sends in Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction Report (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) with $19 fee.

dwtt
04-17-2011, 7:45 AM
Thanks for the info. I want to "give" some of my pistols to my wife so if she were to ever use one of them in a home self defense situation, there won't be any chance for the police to say the guns weren't registered to her and bring some bogus charges.

Rockjaw
04-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Hey guys I know that I may be going a little off-topic here but since the mans question has been answered could we also get a quick explanation of the process with long guns?

I tried searching the forums but this is the only thread of it's kind that I've seen yet.

Milspec714
04-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Hey guys I know that I may be going a little off-topic here but since the mans question has been answered could we also get a quick explanation of the process with long guns?

I tried searching the forums but this is the only thread of it's kind that I've seen yet.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members

Go down to long guns.. that should help

jtmkinsd
04-17-2011, 12:40 PM

No paperwork for long guns that are not assault weapons...you can hand it to your wife and now it's hers...she can hand it back to you...and now it's yours. As far as "registering" a handgun to my wife so she can use it for home/self defense...it's completely unnecessary. I wouldn't want to have to search for the one that's registered to me in the event of an emergency...and nobody would expect you to either. There would be no ramifications for using a handgun "registered" in a spouses name.

bluesmoke9
04-17-2011, 1:01 PM
Yes.
It's an operation of law, where property is transmuted to the spouse. [FC 850]

Same procedure as the intra-familial transfer.

Recipiant needs a HSC, giver hands over handgun and within 30 days recipiant sends in Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction Report (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) with $19 fee.

One interesting thing is the DOJ form doesn't mention a HSC requirement anywhere. I asked the BOF if my son needed a HSC, I assume he does, before I transfered a gun to him but haven't heard back from them yet. Did you see the requirement written somewhere?

Quiet
04-17-2011, 3:19 PM
One interesting thing is the DOJ form doesn't mention a HSC requirement anywhere. I asked the BOF if my son needed a HSC, I assume he does, before I transfered a gun to him but haven't heard back from them yet. Did you see the requirement written somewhere?

It's required by CA state laws [PC 12078(c), (d) & (i)(2)(ii)], but there is no place to write it on the form. Some people write the HSC # on the margin of the form.

EOD Guy
04-18-2011, 7:08 AM
Transfers between spouses is not authorized in the California Penal Code. The authorization is in the Family Code under transfers of spousal assets, although the Penal Code requires the HSC for the receiving spouse.