PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question...

flyingjalapeno
04-16-2011, 2:09 AM
I tried a google search but i just ended up being more confused. What is an off roster gun?

mikaarce
04-16-2011, 2:51 AM
not on Ca DOJ approved list

.22guy
04-16-2011, 3:25 PM
Let me try to give a more helpful response. An off-roster gun is a handgun that is not certified by the state of CA to be sold to civilians. You can however purchase one through a PPT (private party transfer) or by using a single-shot exemption.

(Usually when you buy an off-roster handgun from a private citizen, expect to pay a premium price).

flyingjalapeno
04-16-2011, 7:19 PM
Thank you kind sir. Yeah I was getting a bit confused on that, but what does it mean by single-shot exemption? And say I sold my body on the black market and was about to get enough money for one of these off roster items, would I be able to go to the range with it? Thanks again.

Let me try to give a more helpful response. An off-roster gun is a handgun that is not certified by the state of CA to be sold to civilians. You can however purchase one through a PPT (private party transfer) or by using a single-shot exemption.

(Usually when you buy an off-roster handgun from a private citizen, expect to pay a premium price).

jtmkinsd
04-16-2011, 7:25 PM
Thank you kind sir. Yeah I was getting a bit confused on that, but what does it mean by single-shot exemption? And say I sold my body on the black market and was about to get enough money for one of these off roster items, would I be able to go to the range with it? Thanks again.

Single shot exemption is a way for non-roster-exempt individuals to purchase off-roster handguns.

If a handgun is modified so it can only fire one round, then must be reloaded after every subsequent round fired, and meets certain characteristics outlined in CA PC (barrel length and overall length), it can be DROSed as exempt from the safe handgun list.

BayAreaShooter
04-16-2011, 9:52 PM
You may also buy an of roster pistol if it was bought by a LEO or brought into California from another state and that person decides to sell the gun. There are a few exceptions like the Taurus Judge as it is illegal in California not just off roster.

flyingjalapeno
04-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks you guys for all the info and for clarifying things up.

ADAM
04-17-2011, 7:38 AM
welcome to calguns.ask questions,read alot learn alot.