PDA

View Full Version : FFL Dealer swapping magazines

new_cal_gun_guy
04-16-2011, 1:18 AM
I want to get a p226 x-5 comp 9mm from an out state online site. They don't have one with a 10 round mag version. They only have it with a 19 round mag. I asked my FFL dealer if they could just keep the extra mag and DROS me without it and they agreed. Question: is it illegal to make this purchase? I mean I'm purchasing a legal gun with an illegal mag... what do you guys think?

hk91666
04-16-2011, 6:30 AM
I bought an FNP40 from an out of state dealer and the dealer did swap it out for me. I personally don't see any problem buying a gun without a mag. I am not an 01FFL licensee either.
I also bought an czech CZ82 from J&G they offered to send <10rd mags for us folks who do not live in free America.

Just make sure it is on the SAFE list Roster.

I had both shipped to my FFL for DROS.

G1500
04-16-2011, 9:37 AM
I want to get a p226 x-5 comp 9mm from an out state online site. They don't have one with a 10 round mag version. They only have it with a 19 round mag. I asked my FFL dealer if they could just keep the extra mag and DROS me without it and they agreed. Question: is it illegal to make this purchase? I mean I'm purchasing a legal gun with an illegal mag... what do you guys think?

First of all, you need to make sure it is on the roster. Otherwise, you cannot purchase it when it is at your FFL.

The magazine is not illegal, it is just illegal for the dealer you are purchasing it from to sell it. No offense to anyone of their FFL, but I wouldn't let them keep a mag I paid for unless they wanted to swap it out with a 10 round mag.

Ask if they wouldn't mind pulling the magazine apart, so you can keep for parts, or sell to someone as a rebuild kit.

Overview: as long as the pistol is on the roster, you will be safe in buying it, but make sure it is the EXACT same one.

ICONIC
04-16-2011, 10:59 AM
I asked a dealer the other day this very same question. He said he keeps the hi cap magazine and then sells them a few times a year to a guy out of state. Some dealers will unassemble them, some won't due to legality reasons all depends on the level of risk a dealer is willing to accept. If the gun does come with a high cap magazine the dealer is not required to replace the the high cap magazine with a ten rounder. If you do find a dealer that does replace them, please let me know.

jtmkinsd
04-16-2011, 12:02 PM
The handgun you want is on the list so there is no problem there.

Your local dealer (who needs a large capacity magazine permit) should have no problem keeping the mags if you're not LEO...and might sell them and forward the money to you...or swap them for 10 round mags if he has them...but this is not guaranteed.

Ask if they wouldn't mind pulling the magazine apart, so you can keep for parts, or sell to someone as a rebuild kit.

I have politely declined to do this for anyone. I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday...and we all know what the possible true intent is behind a statement like this. The scenario on my end goes like this:

I take apart the mags...and give them to you. As soon as you go home, you reassemble them and take your new toy to the range. For whatever reason you come into contact with LEO and things go badly...and through conversation you are asked where you got the high cap mags...without blinking you give them the dealer's name. Knowing it's not illegal to possess hi-cap mags, but it is illegal to assemble them, you throw your dealer under the bus, and say you got them fully assembled from the dealer. You're in the clear...but the dealer who did you a kindness...is...well you get the idea.

So, why should I even take the risk because you ordered something you currently can't have? California sucks. :shrug:

G1500
04-16-2011, 2:08 PM
The handgun you want is on the list so there is no problem there.

Your local dealer (who needs a large capacity magazine permit) should have no problem keeping the mags if you're not LEO...and might sell them and forward the money to you...or swap them for 10 round mags if he has them...but this is not guaranteed.

I have politely declined to do this for anyone. I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday...and we all know what the possible true intent is behind a statement like this. The scenario on my end goes like this:

I take apart the mags...and give them to you. As soon as you go home, you reassemble them and take your new toy to the range. For whatever reason you come into contact with LEO and things go badly...and through conversation you are asked where you got the high cap mags...without blinking you give them the dealer's name. Knowing it's not illegal to possess hi-cap mags, but it is illegal to assemble them, you throw your dealer under the bus, and say you got them fully assembled from the dealer. You're in the clear...but the dealer who did you a kindness...is...well you get the idea.

So, why should I even take the risk because you ordered something you currently can't have? California sucks. :shrug:

I completely understand why you wouldn't do that. In fact, I wouldn't do it either.

But still, I wouldn't just give a magazine away unless I was getting a legal replacement, or at least getting a few bucks for it. I also know that it is not your responsibility to give me anything for it, which is why I would not buy something that would put anyone in a bind.

I see some items on Budsgunshop that have LCMs and they are cheaper than the CA complaint models. I wouldn't expect you to have to swap out a 10 round mag for me because I wanted to save a few bucks.

new_cal_gun_guy
04-16-2011, 5:00 PM
Yes, the p226 x-5 comp is in the roster. But I can't find anywhere in the web a version with 10 mags. So I will have to "hand" it to the FFL Dealer. Unless I can find one with 10 rounds... That's my only option. My local gun shop wants a fortune for the same gun.

Thanks, for all your replies.

hk91666
04-16-2011, 7:41 PM
see pm with link to dealer with 10rds no x5 with 10rds but they may swap for you.

thedrickel
04-16-2011, 8:18 PM
You would need to bring or find a mag to do the safe handling demo, if the dealer doesn't have any mags that fit the gun.

new_cal_gun_guy
04-16-2011, 9:41 PM
Yes the dealer asked me to bring a 10 round mag to do the safety handling demo. I do own a couple of p226 so that is no a problem.

thanks,

I just added a pic of the grips im adding .....

grk
04-17-2011, 10:30 AM
It is really dependent on the seller. I've had rimfirecentral.com refuse to just remove the magazines and ship me the gun, even though the gun was on the approved list. Be sure you check with the seller before you buy the gun.