PDA

View Full Version : changing registered pre-ban

somekevinguy
11-15-2006, 2:07 PM
I have a registered pre-ban ar-15 with a 20" barrel. I want to turn it into an M4. Can I do that or am I stuck with the 20" barrel since I registered it as a 20"? It is pre 1994 ban or whenever it was. I have flash suppressor, bayonet lug etc.

stevie
11-15-2006, 2:09 PM
Change all you want on those registered rifles. Hey we live in the same city.

somekevinguy
11-15-2006, 2:15 PM
Cool, that is good to here. I remember when I registered it I had to put down the barrel length so I wasn't sure. Since we live in the same city. Where do you go to shoot? I used to go to San Gabriel. I guess I am going to try Angeles now.

brando
11-15-2006, 2:21 PM
Angeles Range is great, especially during the week when it's not crowded.

stevie
11-15-2006, 2:23 PM
Usually Burro Canyon or Desert Marksman

somekevinguy
11-15-2006, 2:23 PM
cool my work scedule gives me some weekdays off. I will have to check it out. never tried either of those. are they closer than angeles?

ohsmily
11-15-2006, 2:30 PM
I have a registered pre-ban ar-15 with a 20" barrel. I want to turn it into an M4. Can I do that or am I stuck with the 20" barrel since I registered it as a 20"? It is pre 1994 ban or whenever it was. I have flash suppressor, bayonet lug etc.

Posts like yours always concern me because of the lack of understanding of the major points of the law exhibited in them and then I think, what else is he screwing up on...

So, I must ask, how and when did you "register" your rifle? You mentioned the date of 1994...is that correct or are you just stating that is when you bought the rifle or when it was made?

somekevinguy
11-15-2006, 2:41 PM
i had it since before they had assault weapon registration and i registered it whenever it came out. i cant remember it was a long time ago. mine is before any of the bans. i thought the first one was 94 when they banned flash suppressor and bayonet lugs etc. i cant remember. I have had it so long i haven't been keeping up on all the laws lately. it is almost a full time job. so since you are gun law aficionado, do you agree i can change the barrel length now to make it an m4?

ohsmily
11-15-2006, 2:52 PM
i had it since before they had assault weapon registration and i registered it whenever it came out. i cant remember it was a long time ago. mine is before any of the bans. i thought the first one was 94 when they banned flash suppressor and bayonet lugs etc. i cant remember. I have had it so long i haven't been keeping up on all the laws lately. it is almost a full time job. so since you are gun law aficionado, do you agree i can change the barrel length now to make it an m4?

Absolutely you can put a different upper on there. You could even put a 50BMG upper on it if you want; IF you have a registered AW, you can change it to whatever you want as long as it meets federal length requirements and you don't make it a DD.

My point is, when you bought the rifle, that is NOT the registration. The registration would have been a SEPARATE process in 1999 when you would have had to fill out another form and send 20 bucks to the DOJ to register it as an AW.

The 1994 date and federal preban vs. postban has NO meaning anymore because the federal ban is GONE. If you have a reg'ed AW, which remains to be seen, you can put on all the "evil" AW features that you want.

If you did NOT register it, that is BAD news.

somekevinguy
11-15-2006, 3:48 PM
Sorry if I am not being clear. I thought I was when I said this "I have a registered pre-ban ar-15 with a 20" barrel." and this "i had it since before they had assault weapon registration and i registered it whenever it came out." Yes I registered it with the DOJ whenever they came out with the registration requirements, according to you 1999. I remember when I bought mine there was preban and postban. Preban let you have the flash suppressor, etc. and postban meant you had to have a pinned on compensator and could only use a 10 round magazine, etc. So if you registered your postban weapon as an assault weapon back then can you now go back and put on flash suppressors etc. now that the federal ban has expired? I thought there was like different stages of bans. The earliest one was the flash suppressor, etc. like i said and then you could have one with pinned compensator, etc. and now you can't have them at all unless you do all this pinned magazine crap.

rkt88edmo
11-15-2006, 3:52 PM
So if you registered (in CA per SB23 by Dec. 31, 1999) your (federal) postban weapon as an (CA) assault weapon back then can you now go back and put on flash suppressors etc. now that the federal ban has expired?

Yes.

somekevinguy
11-15-2006, 3:54 PM
Ok I get it now. So some of the bans were state and some where federal. Damn that sucks. I remember I paid a premium to get my "preban" one so I could have all that stuff. I think it was like a few hundred dollars more because I got mine right at the end when there weren't that many left. I am excited about putting together another M4 upper setup though. Sweet! After shooting my M1A National Match, the trigger on my AR feels like crap though, I need to get some work done there too.

rkt88edmo
11-15-2006, 4:00 PM
Damn that sucks. I remember I paid a premium to get my "preban" one so I could have all that stuff. I think it was like a few hundred dollars more because I got mine right at the end when there weren't that many left. I am excited about putting together another M4 upper setup though. Sweet!

Yeah, sounds like you didn't get your money's worth during the ten years you could have lorded it over the rest of the fake-flash hider & fixed-collapsible stock crowd ;)

somekevinguy
11-15-2006, 4:04 PM
Yeah I wish I bought my M1A before the California ban too so I could have the cool stuff on that one.

somekevinguy
11-15-2006, 4:14 PM
So I can just go buy one of these http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=338432 and a collapsible stock and I am golden right?

stevie
11-15-2006, 4:19 PM
That one will work as long as your rifle is not a Colt. Yes you can put on a new stock, remember to get the entire assy with new buffer tube, spring and buffer.

If you get the flat top you will also need some tpye of BUIS (rear sight) or optic

somekevinguy
11-15-2006, 4:27 PM
Yeah my lower is a DPMS also. Thanks for all the info guys. I have been out of the game for a while. My weapons have just been kind of sitting around. I just bought my first shotgun a Berreta 391 Urika Sporting and now I am getting all excited about the stuff I already have all over again.

Hunter
11-15-2006, 4:35 PM
.....My point is, when you bought the rifle, that is NOT the registration. The registration would have been a SEPARATE process in 1999 when you would have had to fill out another form and send 20 bucks to the DOJ to register it as an AW.......

Actually since he stated it was the very first ban, it would have been the 1989 R&R ban not the 2000 SB23 ban.

bwiese
11-15-2006, 5:04 PM
So I can just go buy one of these http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=338432 and a collapsible stock and I am golden right?

Well, you're certainly legal. I wouldn't call DPMS stuff "golden".

There are better choices out there...

somekevinguy
11-15-2006, 5:13 PM
Actually since he stated it was the very first ban, it would have been the 1989 R&R ban not the 2000 SB23 ban.I was talking about the 1994 ban. There was one in 89 too? Ok just looked it up. Which AW did they ban in 89? Ok I found it. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf Man if they ever let the California ban lapse I could bring a copy of that ban to gun shop to use as a shopping list.

somekevinguy
11-15-2006, 5:15 PM
Well, you're certainly legal. I wouldn't call DPMS stuff "golden".

There are better choices out there...Really? Like I said I haven't really been following the gun world to closely but it seems like I see a lot of DPMS stuff being used whenever I happen to catch competitions on TV. What would you recommend for an M4 upper assembly.

Sugarfoot47
11-15-2006, 5:42 PM
[QUOTE=ohsmily]
My point is, when you bought the rifle, that is NOT the registration. The registration would have been a SEPARATE process in 1999 when you would have had to fill out another form and send 20 bucks to the DOJ to register it as an AW.

I'm pretty sure that the actual registration process for SB23 AW's didn't begin until after the end of 2000.

bwiese
11-15-2006, 6:00 PM

I'm pretty sure that the actual registration process for SB23 AW's didn't begin until after the end of 2000.

The SB23 registration period was from 1/1/00- 12/31/00, with an extension for Kasler AR & AK guns up to 1/23/01.

The last date to legally acquire an AW in CA (or at least DROS one) was 12/31/99.

bwiese
11-15-2006, 6:02 PM
Really? Like I said I haven't really been following the gun world to closely but it seems like I see a lot of DPMS stuff being used whenever I happen to catch competitions on TV. What would you recommend for an M4 upper assembly.

Something with a chrome-lined barrel, for starters.

If you get an upper with an F-marked front sight base, your upper will be compatible with Colt carry handles and ARMS sights. (Bushmaster's aren't.)

Look at CMMG or Stag. And pay extra for an MPI-tested bolt.

somekevinguy
11-15-2006, 6:20 PM
Great. after going to the CMMG site, I have no idea what I want.

stevie
11-15-2006, 6:40 PM
There is a lot of choices for a M4 upper. You can spend weeks on the different configurations and options.

Sugarfoot47
11-15-2006, 7:02 PM
The SB23 registration period was from 1/1/00- 12/31/00, with an extension for Kasler AR & AK guns up to 1/23/01.

The last date to legally acquire an AW in CA (or at least DROS one) was 12/31/99.
I looked at my certified mail return -receipt card that came back after I mailed my App in and the Doj received it on Jan 22, 2001(no kidding)! I mailed it out on the 18th of that month so I guess I just eeked by on that one.

Mud
11-15-2006, 7:23 PM
Be sure to transport the rifle in a locked case also, w/ a Registered AW you still have to follow the AW Transport requirements.

somekevinguy
11-15-2006, 7:25 PM
I just want it to be closest to the Military version as I can get but it seems like every time I see military pictures they are different too.

stevie
11-15-2006, 8:21 PM
Something like this Stag upper would be nice

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=384812

Or

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_21&products_id=14

somekevinguy
11-16-2006, 7:38 AM
You wouldn't go with a shorter barrel with the permanent flash suppressor to be closer to the real thing?

PIRATE14
11-16-2006, 11:57 AM
You wouldn't go with a shorter barrel with the permanent flash suppressor to be closer to the real thing?

In a short word, yes......M4 have a 14.5" barrel.

You'll lose a 25-50 FPS w/ the shorter barrel.

You'll need a perm attached FS to bring to a legal 16"

PIRATE14
11-16-2006, 12:03 PM

Don't forget you could still buy lower rcvrs that weren't named or had any SB23 features......these rcvrs that were available at the time were later placed on the updated list......these were sold/DROS until mid-August 2000.