PDA

View Full Version : Clarification for everyone about shotgun magazine capacity

ohsmily
11-15-2006, 1:48 PM
Guys, there is NO REGULATION in California Assault weapon laws about the magazine capacity of shotguns. I have seen some dolts say "as long as it can't hold more than 5 rounds (or 6 or 7), you are OK because if it holds more, it is an assault weapon"...

Besides the list of banned shotguns, here is the only assault weapon restriction for shotguns UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW...

The following constitute Assault weapons UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW:

(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or
vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

Got it? Good.

gose
11-15-2006, 2:02 PM
and then we have the federal regulations regarding imported shotguns, but since you talk about CA AW laws, I guess we don't want to bring up the federal crap in yet another thread...

JPglee1
11-15-2006, 2:06 PM
semi auto + more than 10rds is a federal destructive device I THINK (correct me please)

J

VeryCoolCat
11-15-2006, 2:19 PM
but there is a ban on importation of any magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds.

I think a semi-auto shotgun with a very long tube would be kind of weird lookin.

Since you would be able to remove the tube and use it on a different firearm so that would be a grey area also.

I noticed though that, the ban of detachable mag SKSs said AK47 magazines.

ohsmily
11-15-2006, 2:38 PM
but there is a ban on importation of any magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds.

yes. That is a general restriction on magazines other than tube-fed lever guns. It must be 10 rounds or less.

I think a semi-auto shotgun with a very long tube would be kind of weird lookin.

yes

ohsmily
11-15-2006, 2:45 PM
semi auto + more than 10rds is a federal destructive device I THINK (correct me please)

J

I have never read that, and after a quick search, I didn't turn anything up about it. I don't think you are correct on this.

Stanze
11-15-2006, 3:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAS-12

The B.A.T.F. reclassified the USAS-12(a magazine fed semi-auto 12 gauge shotgun) as a "Destructive Device", they gave no clear reason why other than it served, "No sporting purpose".:mad:

Owners who had previously purchased the firearm legally were required to surrender the now-contraband or face NFA charges. No compensation, no grandfathering,...nuthin'.:(

ETA: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter33.txt Seems that the B.A.T.F. allowed owners of the now banned(reclassifed as "destructive devices") shotguns(Streetsweeper, Striker-12, USAS-12) to register them as NFA items and even waived the tax, but if you live in oppressed America you would not be legally allowed to keep your once legal firearm due to state and local laws.