PDA

View Full Version : Can M4/CAR stocks mix n match??

JPglee1
11-15-2006, 12:46 PM
I was wondering, can you mix n match M4/CAR stocks??

Can you buy the M4/CAR tube seperately?

I have a friend w/an M4 stock on his locked mag OLL and the lock plate for the stock tube somehow rotated and destroyed the threads on the stock tube... :eek:

Since I dont have a lathe, I can't weld/rethread it for him or I would... any suggestions?

J

stevie
11-15-2006, 12:54 PM
There are mil-spec and non mil-spec tubes. CMT, Colt and Vltor are mil-spec while RRA and DPMS are non mil-spec for example. A mil-spec stock will not fit on a non mil-spec buffer tube, so pick wisely. A mil-spec Vltor or CMT Stag tube will cost about 40.00.

bwiese
11-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Depends on which vendors make stuff. I've specifically heard issues about Rock River stocks being incompatible (loose? tight?) with others' extension tubes and vice versa.

Who knows what the bottom feeders like Model1, M&A, etc. supply. May change throughout the year anyway. Bushmaster seems OK. I also have a DPMS with a *metal* stock - it looks weird but was solid, but haven't tried to put another stock on its tube.

I notice that VLTOR stocks that are sold without the extension tube are really only guaranteed for proper *Colt* fitment.

I've seen a lot of crap M4, etc. stocks - wobbly/loose. The Stag stuff seems good.

I've got VLTORs and they're great. If you're gonna do a VLTOR, might as well step up to the bar and get the whole gig.

mltrading
11-15-2006, 1:43 PM
There are mil-spec and non mil-spec tubes. CMT, Colt and Vltor are mil-spec while RRA and DPMS are non mil-spec for example. A mil-spec stock will not fit on a non mil-spec buffer tube, so pick wisely. A mil-spec Vltor or CMT Stag tube will cost about 40.00.

What Stevie said. Vltor tubes are real mil-spec and nice-looking. They are with numbers engraved.

Besides, the buffer tubes made by LMT and Colt are true mil-spec, too.

xenophobe
11-15-2006, 8:10 PM
Magpul receiver extensions are Mil-spec too.

JPglee1
11-15-2006, 10:30 PM
What Stevie said. Vltor tubes are real mil-spec and nice-looking. They are with numbers engraved.

Besides, the buffer tubes made by LMT and Colt are true mil-spec, too.

Right on thanks for the info.

I'd like to help him out with something that works, without spending a ton.

In fact Im gonna get an offlist AR eventually and I would love to get a cheap XM177 style stock for it, the all aluminum one.

I was at the last beef jerkey show and a USED M4
"style" stock was going for around $60-75!!!

But, thanks y'all for the info..,

j